Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I've broken the 7 ly limit! (sort of...)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I've broken the 7 ly limit! (sort of...)

Post by Commander McLane »

Okti wrote:
I can always make the equipment incompatible with galactic hyperdrive :twisted:
But don't forget to remove it once the player has arrived. First, this way it doesn't clutter the F5-screen, and second, for another trip he has to buy another one. 8) EDIT: disregard; if it's a pylon-based equipment, it's removed automatically
Last edited by Commander McLane on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Okti wrote:
I can always make the equipment incompatible with galactic hyperdrive :twisted:

And Name it One Way Ticket to Oresrati. :lol:
While I'm not for making it incompatible with the galactic hyperdrive...making this equipment a special "bomb" like the 3 LY fuel tanks (except costing a *LOT* more!) might be pretty cool.
Considering the number of (mis!) jumps needed, it makes sense that such an item is a 1-shot...and since it costs a missile pylon, you can't just stuff it into the nebulous concept of the "empty space on the ship" where it doesn't limit your ability to carry something else in its place.

...This is just an idea. If you're able to get this working at all, I'll be shocked. It's tough enough to get to Oresrati manually even knowing what you're doing. I had to use a hacked special ship with 16 missile slots...and most of them filled with fuel tanks! :lol:
...Or use an instant full fuel cheat after each jump. :P (Thanks to Galactic Navy v5.4.0 beta for that!)
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

I have already written the OXP, but trying add some fun to it, based on the discussions in this forum. It will only work with trunk version of oolite.

Probably I will release the OXP in a days time.

I can say it does not require galactic hyperdrive for the player to find a way out of Oresrati.

Any more ideas is well come.

Okti
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

How about giving the player a bus to catch, so to speak? A galactic-hopping carrier of some description (a behemoth, say) will be leaving at such-and-such a time: the player has to get to it before it goes, or they're stuck there. Assuming of course that it's possible to let a player dock and then transport them, and the carrier, to a new galaxy ...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Switeck wrote:
It's tough enough to get to Oresrati manually even knowing what you're doing. I had to use a hacked special ship with 16 missile slots...and most of them filled with fuel tanks! :lol:
...Or use an instant full fuel cheat after each jump. :P (Thanks to Galactic Navy v5.4.0 beta for that!)
I used my magical scripter's powers. (Type PS.fuel=7 in the JS-console.)

Oh and I activated my cloaking device before the first jump, so I didn't have to bother with bugs.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Disembodied wrote:
Assuming of course that it's possible to let a player dock and then transport them, and the carrier, to a new galaxy ...
NPCs don't do galactic jumps, AFAIK. And they can't jump if there isn't a destination within 7LY. Therefore I'd say there will never an NPC jump out of Oresrati.

Which makes me curious:
Okti wrote:
I can say it does not require galactic hyperdrive for the player to find a way out of Oresrati.
I have no clue what else he could do. Give us a hint!
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Commander McLane wrote;
You could probably make a living out of setting up a Galactic Hyperdrive shop in a Rock Hermit on Oresrati.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Okti wrote:
Commander McLane wrote;
You could probably make a living out of setting up a Galactic Hyperdrive shop in a Rock Hermit on Oresrati.
I don't follow. I understood that you claim to know a way of leaving Oresrati without using a Galactic Hyperdrive. So what would a GH-shop be good for?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Perhaps you don't need one when you arrive - but be prepared for open Credit surgery to pick one up to get out?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Commander McLane wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
Assuming of course that it's possible to let a player dock and then transport them, and the carrier, to a new galaxy ...
NPCs don't do galactic jumps, AFAIK. And they can't jump if there isn't a destination within 7LY. Therefore I'd say there will never an NPC jump out of Oresrati.
Would it be impossible to script, though, to make it look like this is what's happened? The player docks with the GalactiBus in Oresrati; up comes a mission screen saying that all the ships are clamped down, there's a rising roar of the galactic jump engines, etc. – then when the player launches again he finds himself in Galaxy 1 with the bus floating behind him.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Disembodied wrote:
Would it be impossible to script, though, to make it look like this is what's happened? The player docks with the GalactiBus in Oresrati; up comes a mission screen saying that all the ships are clamped down, there's a rising roar of the galactic jump engines, etc. – then when the player launches again he finds himself in Galaxy 1 with the bus floating behind him.
I don't think so.

1) We can't make the player ship jump by script. There is no way around him pressing the H-key (or the G+H-keys) himself.

2) We can't make an NPC jump from Oresrati.

2a) There is no system within 7LY, therefore any AI- or script-induced attempt to jump will simply fail.

2b) NPCs cannot make galactic jumps, therefore there isn't even an attempt possible.

So much for that.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

OXP is ready to release but I have a day of tomorow. So I will think about what can be done more.

For those to contribute the OXP is here here

It does not include a read me file and it will only for trunk version of 1.75.0.4324 or above. You can buy the equipment in any where. But to use it you must be in G8 and in Aatdire.

Have fun and if anything goes wrong let me know.

Cheers

Okti
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I made a very simple but still rather usable equipment to add into this:
Misjump Inducer v0.1 OXP!
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9551

Misjump Inducer is On/Off activation equipment to cause misjumps (or not) on demand.
It costs 1000 credits and is available at all systems TL 10+.

It doesn't cause OTHER ships to misjump, just makes the player's ship misjump.
This equipment is design to work both with NPC ship wormholes and regular player hyperspace jumps.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Switeck wrote:
I made a very simple but still rather usable equipment to add into this:
Misjump Inducer v0.1 OXP!
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9551

Misjump Inducer is On/Off activation equipment to cause misjumps (or not) on demand.
It costs 1000 credits and is available at all systems TL 10+.

It doesn't cause OTHER ships to misjump, just makes the player's ship misjump.
This equipment is design to work both with NPC ship wormholes and regular player hyperspace jumps.
What's the advantage of using an equipment over just pulling up?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

The Misjump Inducer allows the convenience of flying arbitrary directions at the moment of hyperspacing, such as trying to flee from an ECM-resistant missile.
It also works with NPC ship wormholes.
It can even be used <5 seconds before hyperspacing to check that you're NOT about to misjump due to some other overriding condition. (such as other OXPs that previously set misjump = true.)