Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

About planets

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: About planets

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
What, you mean sitting in clear space with nothing on the scanner just admiring the planet isn't part of the game?
Heh, it most certainly is, and something I do plenty of already (even to the point of not using the torus and taking a long, slow cruise in-system).
With planets like these to slowly approach, I'll be cruising in on minimal thrust, and loitering in the aegis will be awesome.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Wow, wow, wow (x1000) :shock: :D . Really this seems what we've been waiting for all those years!
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Specially #150. It uses a light-map of the earth that I have as desktop picture for some time. Its good to see in the current planet picture #150, that the lights are on at the dark side and fade away on the planet side that catches sunlight.

On that light map, I am always surprised that the river Nile in Egypt is so visible. More than any other river on the map.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Yeah, the Nile really does look like someone's hand slipped when they were painting out the texture! :D
It would be really fantastic to have these really beautiful planet effects in the game - something really cool about them looking so wonderful and pretty but be off-limits to the player (without the planetfall.oxp)
Amazing work submersible!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
On that light map, I am always surprised that the river Nile in Egypt is so visible. More than any other river on the map.
Not so surprising if you consider that Egypt has about as many inhabitants as Germany, and practically all of them are living in the Nile valley. :wink:
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Shady Planet

Post by submersible »

SandJ wrote:
submersible wrote:
Quick screenshot from my working copy with what I believe is the world's least optimized atmosphere shader.
Ooh, that's nice. Gotta love the green aurora at the pole, too.
Actually the green was an unintended artifact of simulated light attenuation. Aurora might be possible to simulate with a volumetric technique I have been thinking about for clouds. I have also sworn to myself to stop fiddling about with shaders until I can tidy up my patch and convince a real dev to land it on trunk.

Short short version of a cloud shader would be supplied a texture which uses r,g,b to describe the cloud density at different layers, and the alpha channel to describe the depth of that strata. This would allow for all sorts of goodness - lumpy clouds with a parallax effect and more convincing than a flat layer. Add some colour to that and you've got something like an aurora shader instead.
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

That's looking great! I do hope we aren't going to lose the fabulous colours for more realistic browns and greens though?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

submersible wrote:
Actually the green was an unintended artifact of simulated light attenuation. Aurora might be possible to simulate with a volumetric technique I have been thinking about for clouds. I have also sworn to myself to stop fiddling about with shaders until I can tidy up my patch and convince a real dev to land it on trunk.
Congratulations on your promotion submersible. I see you have your own branch in the source tree for shaded planets. Is it something we can check out to see your work on planets, or is it too early?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Gimi wrote:
Congratulations on your promotion submersible. I see you have your own branch in the source tree for shaded planets. Is it something we can check out to see your work on planets, or is it too early?
Thanks - I'm trying to comment my changes to make some of it all slightly more meaningful. As yet the branch is just a copy of trunk. I probably would have got further with this however we're struggling with a sick trumble here in RL.
I will post in this thread when the first round of commits land on the shady-planets branch.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

submersible wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Thanks - I'm trying to comment my changes to make some of it all slightly more meaningful. As yet the branch is just a copy of trunk. I probably would have got further with this however we're struggling with a sick trumble here in RL.
I will post in this thread when the first round of commits land on the shady-planets branch.
<Waits patiently>

Get well soon to the Trumble
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Gimi wrote:
Get well soon to the Trumble
Hark - the trumble sleeps.

Dump working copy trunk patches into branch.
svn+ssh://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/oolite-linux/branches/shady-planets @ 4972

edit this is not much use unless you fancy writing your own shaders . Commits with test oxp are next.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Bravely running away - now has a sunset.
http://assets.povray-planets.org/static ... te-165.png

For anyone building from branches/shady-planets , please see http://swarm.perlide.org/static/shady-p ... st.oxp.zip an AddOn which adds planet and atmosphere shaders to Lave and a few nearby planets.
Last edited by submersible on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

submersible wrote:
Bravely running away - now has a sunset.
http://swarm.perlide.org/static/new_pla ... te-165.png

For anyone building from branches/shady-planets , please see http://swarm.perlide.org/static/shady-p ... st.oxp.zip an AddOn which adds planet and atmosphere shaders to Lave and a few nearby planets.
Wow! Very nice indeed. Is that test.oxp for trunk or can it be used in 1.76.1?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Only for branches/shady-planets at present. It has not been introduced to trunk.