Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Dream Team - Revisited

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Moray:

It's strangely appealing. I actually want to fly one of these now...
Last edited by Selezen on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Wow!

Do like the glass "bulge" on the underside. Kinda like an observation bay for looking at the marine life when underwater?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

revised. cos the first one's underside sucked.
http://www.purgatori.net/wolfbug2.png
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

LittleBear wrote:
Do like the glass "bulge" on the underside. Kinda like an observation bay for looking at the marine life when underwater?
It's actually the cockpit - makes sense to have a cockpit that can see the ocean floor when underwater. Reinforced plexiglass of course.

There's also an observation deck on the top surface for when the ship is on the surface and floating about.

The scoop housings on the sides also function as a water intake for an impeller drive - sucks in loads of water and spits it out the back.

:-)
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

and your avatar has changed too...nice!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Some great work going on here Sez matey.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Indeed, great job!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Medical Moray skin:

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

What happened to the triangular window in the frontal-face?

Code: Select all

/\
   / __ \
  /  \/  \
 /_________\
In the civillian version there is a green recession, but it is upside down.
-edit: I think I see it. You have flattened the top edge in the above scematic, which is upside down compared to your Moray.

Nice interpretation of the Moray...although it doesn't remind me much of the original. :D
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Something very odd has happened.

You see, I have been modelling these from the original models that Giles made available on Oosat. The standard is that the ships are oriented so that +Z is the forward edge.

The Moray model seems to be completely round the wrong way, and I've modelled it as such. Hence, compared to the Moray that's in the game (which I have just actually seen) it is oriented 180 degrees around on the X axis.

I don't know what to do! I like the model as it is, but don't want to lose the accuracy!

Maybe I might keep the current version but create another one the right way up.

Sheesh.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I think it looks ok, just flip it 180.
(The pointy bit is the rear, it's a rather blunt looking craft)
You just need to expand the laser aperture a bit to allow it to look like a drive-exhaust. :)

I like the way it looks upside down (always have).
If you're really upset about the top/bottom configuration, just flip one version rightside up (you have cockpits on both sides!) and have both flying around.

Aquatic species actually don't grasp the concept of flying bellydown towards the solar plain. 2D navigation is really alien to them.
As a consequence of Morays being one of the few spaceships capable of landing in a high-pressure or liquid environments without special facilities, these are the class of vessel comonly seen 'swimming' which is slag for flying upside down (from a humanoid perspective).
Riding the Rocket!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Damn! I knew there was something wrong with it, but couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

Mind you, I quite like the window on the fat end as the cockpit. It’s very shiplike.

On a different note, I’d suggest a brighter high-vis scheme for the medical boat.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It rocks my socks in or out of water, forward or backwards, up or down, as you rightly say Sel mate ( :roll: ) it looks good, and sooner or later it'll get improved even more when there's a "pimp my Moray star boat competition"

Keep em coming!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

I don't know what to do! I like the model as it is, but don't want to lose the accuracy!
just call it the Moray MkII :-)
it could be one of those urban legends (? or is it actually true?) about why the Mini has the seams on the outside ~ because someone read the blueprints backwards. maybe someone at the shipyard loaded the Moray blueprints up the wrong way :-D
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I had a play with this thing last night. Turning it the right way up raises all sorts of problems.

For one thing, simple hydronamics make the original design a bit shaky. When in water, the shape is top heavy, and the sloping front will have water sloshing up it and will compromise stability and speed.

I'll still do a version, but I'm not happy with the physics. Yeah, I know. It's a fictional universe: get over it Sel...