Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Additional Planets SR.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Extra Planet/Moon textures - now Additional Planets.oxp

Post by DGill »

It would be good if some of the additional planets had rings :)

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Diogenese Senna wrote:
Using it now - and .....

ooooo, very pretty !!!
Glad you like it :D That was always the hope when I released it - that someone else could have fun with it too.
Lestradae wrote:
I just noticed that since 0.5.6., my "Additional Planets" seem to be gone.

Hadn't visited one yet, but with 0.5.5. they showed up via another oxp that shows the in-system planets via the F4 screen in stations (forgot the name). They were recognizable due to the crazy distances they had to everything else.

Alas, in 0.5.6., no such luck. I am using trunk 1.79.
Hi Lestradae.

Hmmm... The only change between 0.5.5 and 0.5.6 was that I chaged the locations of the textures folder.
If you find the name of that other oxp then I'd be happy to investigate (could it be Norby's 'Far Planets' :?: ...) It should work in 1.79 although I haven't tested it in the very latest version yet. In the meantime, version 0.5.6 doesn't add any special features, so if it works with 0.5.5 then stay with that. Sorry :oops:

Do you have a folder named 'Textures' within your AddOns main folder (not within a specific oxp folder) by any chance? I expect you know this (so please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious) but the textures from the packs should be put into the textures folder within the Additional Planets oxp.

Thanks for the report.
Astrobe wrote:
Those new textures look really nice. I wish there was full-featured lanes for each extra planets so I could go to the planet that looks better :D .
Thanks Astrobe, more to come when I get the time :)
Ha ha :D maybe we need a player-centric lane that 'picks' the same route that you do :P spara's excellent 'Stations for Extra Planets' oxp is recommended for making such 'other planet' trips worthwhile.
Astrobe wrote:
I started out with a couple of packs installed only and I noticed that the game defaulted often to the standard textures. Could it be possible to default to a random texture that's in the pack instead?
Ah, now that's something that's much more likely to happen. A major update is currently underway but I don't want to say too much yet :wink:
DGill wrote:
Completely agree and it has been considered but... maybe not scheduled just yet :)

BTW, that's an intersting HUD you've got there: looks like a mix of a few others that I've seen.
Were you flying a Griff Krait there? :shock:

Thanks eveyone for your feedback, much appreciated :D
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Yes, I'm quite fond of Griff's old Krait - rather unique :D
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

I agree that it looks great, bit on the slow side though or have you... (gasp! :wink: ) tinkered with it?
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Redspear wrote:
I agree that it looks great, bit on the slow side though or have you... (gasp! :wink: ) tinkered with it?
Hmm - perhaps a few little tweaks here and there :wink:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hey Redspear!
Redspear wrote:
Hmmm... The only change between 0.5.5 and 0.5.6 was that I chaged the locations of the textures folder.
If you find the name of that other oxp then I'd be happy to investigate (could it be Norby's 'Far Planets' :?: ...) It should work in 1.79 although I haven't tested it in the very latest version yet. In the meantime, version 0.5.6 doesn't add any special features, so if it works with 0.5.5 then stay with that. Sorry :oops:

Do you have a folder named 'Textures' within your AddOns main folder (not within a specific oxp folder) by any chance? I expect you know this (so please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious) but the textures from the packs should be put into the textures folder within the Additional Planets oxp.
No, that's indeed not going to be a solution - all Texture folders in my AddOns folder are where they ought to be, inside oxps :wink:

OK strange. I use the same (already a bit older) trunk version as it was always reliable with my now ~670+ oxps :mrgreen: ... and under 0.5.5. I had additional planets, and now not.

And yes, I think the F4-showing-planets oxp is Norby's.

I read some other people have problems with white ball planets and disappearing planets too ... perhaps I will risk upgrading to a newer version of trunk.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

DGill wrote:
Probably more of a job for system features ring OXP. It only deals with main planets right now. I'm trying to make it decorate all planets but it doesn't work; only the main planet gets a ring (which makes two if it has one already!). I don't understand what I do wrong, and there's no errors in the log.

WARNING - THIS CODE DOESN'T WORK

systemfeatures_rings.oxp changes:

Code: Select all

this.startUp = this.shipWillExitWitchspace = function() {
		// only a few ring systems per galaxy.
		// the largest planets have rings
		if (system.isInterstellarSpace || system.sun.hasGoneNova) {
				return;
		}
		/*
		if (system.info.radius < 6850) {
				return;
		}
		this._addRing();
		*/
		var len=system.planets.length;
		log("Rings", system.name + " has " + len + " planets");
		for(var i=0; i<len; i++)
		{
			var planet=system.planets[i];
			log("Rings", "One ring added to " + planet.name);
			var ring= system.addVisualEffect("systemfeatures-rings", planet);
			ring.orientation=planet.orientation;
			ring.orientation = ring.orientation.rotate(ring.orientation.vectorRight(),Math.PI/2);
			ring.planet=planet;
		}
}

systemfeatures_ring.js changes:

this._updatePosition = function() {
		if (player.ship.position) {
				this.visualEffect.shaderVector2 = player.ship.position;
				// move very slightly towards player to deal with depth-buffer issues
				// this.visualEffect.position = system.mainPlanet.position.subtract(system.mainPlanet.position.subtract(player.ship.position).direction());
				var planet=this.visualEffect.planet;
				this.visualEffect.position = planet.position.subtract(planet.position.subtract(player.ship.position).direction());
		} else {
				removeFrameCallback(this.$fcb);
		}
}
The strange thing is that the traces report less planets than I see.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Astrobe wrote:
I don't understand what I do wrong
Most likely? Whatever code is adding the extra planets has been selected to run after Rings in the OXP loading order. So, when you check for the planets in the Rings script, they aren't there yet.

You'll also need to:
- adjust the effectSpawned method in the ship script: it needs to set shaderFloat1 and shaderFloat2 relative to the radius of the planet it's orbiting.
- set the ring orientation differently for secondary planets. You'll get some very strange lighting effects otherwise. The original script can use a shortcut because the position of the sun relative to the initial orientation of the main planet is always the same: that certainly won't be true for a secondary planet.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Lestradae wrote:
I think the F4-showing-planets oxp is Norby's.
Spara's [wiki]Market_Inquirer[/wiki] contain the "In-system distances" interface, where you can see some real-life distances with FarPlanets:

DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Astrobe wrote:
DGill wrote:
Probably more of a job for system features ring OXP. It only deals with main planets right now. I'm trying to make it decorate all planets but it doesn't work; only the main planet gets a ring (which makes two if it has one already!). I don't understand what I do wrong, and there's no errors in the log.

The strange thing is that the traces report less planets than I see.
I added a planet - Saturn - in a planetinfo.plist

I then added in System_Features_Rings_1.1.oxp, effectdata.plist - "systemfeatures-saturns" = {... etc
then added a new systemfeatures-saturn.js which referred to system.planets[1] rather than system.mainPlanet
then changed systemfeatures-rings.js to prevent a ring on the main planet and add the ring to my Saturn:

this._addRingSaturn();

this._addRingSaturn = function() {
var ring = system.addVisualEffect("systemfeatures-saturns",system.planets[1].position);
ring.orientation = system.planets[1].orientation;
ring.orientation = ring.orientation.rotate(ring.orientation.vectorRight(),Math.PI/2);
}

works for me :wink:
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

cim wrote:
Astrobe wrote:
I don't understand what I do wrong
Most likely? Whatever code is adding the extra planets has been selected to run after Rings in the OXP loading order. So, when you check for the planets in the Rings script, they aren't there yet.|/quote]

- set the ring orientation differently for secondary planets. You'll get some very strange lighting effects otherwise. The original script can use a shortcut because the position of the sun relative to the initial orientation of the main planet is always the same: that certainly won't be true for a secondary planet.
Thanks for the tips, Cim. But I don't get the last one. Where is the shortcut?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

The shortcut is that the sun is always positioned when entering a system in a straight line off a particular axis of the main planet. The rotation in the script then aligns the ring correctly to that axis so that it's edge-on to the sun, and the correct side/corners of the ring model are facing the sun.

If you do the same rotation for a non-main planet, you won't be pointing the ring edge at the sun (except through sheer luck) - you'll point it at a random bit of empty space, and the planet's shadow won't be cast on it anywhere near where you expect.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I thought I'd give this OXP a try but it is not working for me! :cry:

I have installed all the texture packs (Redux, Demux, Free Bitmaps and Others) and the main OXP, but I get no planets or moons and the following errors in the log:

20:52:16.459 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "planetD17.png".
20:52:37.629 [script.error.addPlanet.keyNotFound]: ***** ERROR: could not find an entry in planetinfo.plist for 'moonB29'
20:52:37.639 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Additional Planets 0.5.5): TypeError: moon is null
20:52:37.639 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/Additional_Planets_0.5.6.oxp/Config/script.js, line 169.
Am I doing something wrong? :cry:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
SirArian
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SirArian »

Pleb wrote:
I thought I'd give this OXP a try but it is not working for me! :cry:

I have installed all the texture packs (Redux, Demux, Free Bitmaps and Others) and the main OXP, but I get no planets or moons and the following errors in the log:

20:52:16.459 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "planetD17.png".
20:52:37.629 [script.error.addPlanet.keyNotFound]: ***** ERROR: could not find an entry in planetinfo.plist for 'moonB29'
20:52:37.639 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Additional Planets 0.5.5): TypeError: moon is null
20:52:37.639 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/Additional_Planets_0.5.6.oxp/Config/script.js, line 169.
Am I doing something wrong? :cry:
It's working for me. (Although I do get the "moon is null" error. Did you put the textures in the right folder? They are separate when you download them, but they all need to be in the /Additional_Planets_0.5.6.oxp/Textures/ folder, otherwise the game doesn't know where to find them. I may be completely wrong, but thought it might be worth mentioning. :)
"May Duralium ever stand between you and the Vacuum."
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Yes I have just un-installed, downloaded it again, re-installed it all the correct folders and still get this error:

09:08:16.304 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "planetD17.png".
This file is obviously missing from the texture packs and I assumed this was what the problem was, so I copied planetD16.png and renamed it planetD17.png, ran the game again and no planets or moons and no error in log. Went to a different system and got this error in the log:

09:12:44.418 [script.error.addPlanet.keyNotFound]: ***** ERROR: could not find an entry in [icode]planetinfo.plist[/icode] for 'moonB29'
09:12:44.430 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Additional Planets 0.5.5): TypeError: moon is null
09:12:44.430 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/Additional_Planets_0.5.6.oxp/Config/script.js, line 169.
So there are obviously entries in the planetinfo.plist file that are missing.

It's a shame, as there are lot's of textures and I'm sure if this OXP worked it would be good...but until it's been fixed I cannot use it. :cry:

EDIT: I have found it works in some systems though, so I think it must just be certain systems where it is trying to load resources and planetinfo.plist entries that are not there.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4