Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It depends how you're doing the collision detection. PF uses the shipApproachingPlanetSurface event (500m above the "surface"), so if that's triggered "within" such a mountain (500m above the "average" planetary surface) rather than 500m above the specific point you're at then yes, there could be some issues.

So it's going to be what needs to be tested, how the new texturing and that worldscript event play together.

But that said the solution could always simply be "don't try and land on a mountaintop", or "beware of low-flying rocks" ;)

And as for being like System Redux, sadly at times some of those textures start to show their resolution limitations when you're getting very near the surface (and occasionally some trippy effects on some of my machines, presumably due to graphics card/driver limitations).
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Woah, that planet looks great! really amazing work Kaks! You mentioned normal maps on planets, does this mean that we may get shaders for planets at some point? :shock: because i will do a cartwheel with joy if they do get shader support
I don't think normal maps will affect the planetfall oxp as i'm sure they don't change the geometry at all, they just give an impression of a bumpy surface, the underlying polygon is still completely flat
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Great work about implementing this feature
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Good to hear that! shipApproachingPlanetSurface is triggered high enough in Oolite terms, so we shouldn't have any problems with the landing...
Griff wrote:
Woah, that planet looks great! really amazing work Kaks! You mentioned normal maps on planets, does this mean that we may get shaders for planets at some point? :shock: because i will do a cartwheel with joy if they do get shader support
Funny you should mention that, I was going to ask you if you'd be interested! :) Have you already got a shader I can use to test a planet with? I think there was a brick wall texture floating around somewhere, but that had just a normal map...

pagroove, thought you'd appreciate! The 1.73 version of famous planets should work really well! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

wow, really? shaders for planets!!?!
There's this oxp version of the 'earth' example from AMD/ATI's 'Rendermonkey'

it's got glow maps in it that come on at 'night time' - no normal maps though, is this the kind of thing you're after?

I'm not sure how to do the 'link to posts' thing, but it's about halfway down page 10 of the shaders outpost thread, i think frame has done some work on this too, try this link, hopefully it takes you straight there
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... &start=145
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I've got a diffuse, specular intensity, and normal map for a planetary texture. If someone could tell me what else is needed, I can volunteer some files :P

EDIT:
Oh, and no guarantee they look even HALFWAY decent.... I expect they'll look like rubbish smeared across crinkled paper. :P
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Thanks Griff, I'd totally forgotten about that. Grabbed it now!
Cmd. Cheyd: thank you too! I've got your texture maps, and they're much appreciated.

Shaders themselves allow for programming light sources directly onto a surface - & engine glows - and I'm afraid the people who understand them best are Griff & Ahruman. From my part, I'll limit myself to seeing if I can make Griff's planet work!

...and now for something completely different!
to do a 'link to post':
to get the post number, click the quote button on the post itself: you'll see
in the new window's address line. The post number is immediately after '&p='

the link address will then be:
Professor kaks signing off! ;)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Any chance some kind soul would make me a VERY simple ship model / OXP?

A perfectly round (albeit large - think station or bigger) sphere that does nothing but rotates on one axis? :P
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Better Late Than Never:

Here's a few arty pictures taken from Lave's surface...

Image Image

And here I'm looking at Lave's sea in extreme close up, using the same texture as the previous page. I know, it's not as sharp looking as the system data screen! ;)
Probably using a higher resolution texture would make sense of the landscape splodges...

And to display the procedural textures, I used tionisla.
The boundary between land and sea is still quite blocky, but hopefully we'll have a more organic look by the time 1.73 is released! :)

And here's the whole approach sequence...

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PS: Cmd. Cheyd, I'm stupid busy atm, but I'll see if I get a chance to do that mini OXP on Sunday.
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

uh... why is space light blue as the sky in some of the pics?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

aceshigh wrote:
uh... why is space light blue as the sky in some of the pics?
They're views from within the atmosphere of the planet looking upward. If you get to a very low altitude you'll see the changes. But if you're going to do it, I'd recommend having Planetfall installed, so you land on the planet gracefully rather than going splat on it like a bug ;)
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Kaks wrote:

As of 1.73 planet textures can be added directly to planetinfo.plist! :)
Great work :D, will the texture added with the JavaScript function system.mainPlanet.setTexture show on the Planet Data screen?
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hi Kev!

Yes it does, but since atm the texture is normally added to the planet only when exiting witchspace you only get the retextured planet for the system you're in.

On the other hand, adding a "texture" key to planetinfo.plist does show the new texture all the time. One thing that just occurred to me, is that we might just be able to use setSpecificPlanetInfo to assign textures on entering a galaxy! It would make savegames bigger, but it might just be worth it. I'll check this evening if I get the time - & if no-one else beats me to it!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Eureka!! :)

My subconscious is officially much cleverer than me! :)

Doing the following

Code: Select all

System.infoForSystem(0, 39).texture = "something.png";
already changes Riorte's texture permanently! This change will be stored in the savegame like this

Code: Select all

<key>0 39</key>
	<dict>
	    <key>texture</key>
	    <string>something.png</string>
	</dict>
planet.setTexture might still be useful in very limited cases, but as it is now, it's definitely the second choice!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Bravo Kaks!

I don't know I wander off to a Conference in South Africa for a few days and Oolite takes another leap forward!

(Internet seems to work much better at the weekend in South Africa)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here