Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Rock Hermit Locator add on

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Rock Hermit Locator add on

Post by Eric Walch »

Wildeblood wrote:
....An even more obvious way to tell is that the Pirate Coves use a reference to the core game's rock-hermit model, so if you're used to seeing Griff's or Re2dux rock hermits and then you see one using the simpler model you know it's a pirate cove.
Today I played a bit with the code and came with a solution of just fetching a random 'rock hermit' from the installed ships and turn that into a pirate cove. Since Oolite 1.74 this became much easier to do.

First tests show that is all works like the old one. There were some surprises, like that not all oxp's with hermits in them define a scanclass for the rocks. (e.g. griffs one and the internal one showed up yellow on my scanner, but at least can it be painted white since 1.74).
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Eric Walch wrote:
Today I played a bit with the code and came with a solution of just fetching a random 'rock hermit' from the installed ships and turn that into a pirate cove. Since Oolite 1.74 this became much easier to do.

First tests show that is all works like the old one. There were some surprises, like that not all oxp's with hermits in them define a scanclass for the rocks. (e.g. griffs one and the internal one showed up yellow on my scanner, but at least can it be painted white since 1.74).
I would expect a hermitage to scan as a ship, not a rock. If I were a rock hermit, I would invest in a transponder - a small price to pay to ensure someone didn't mistake my home for an uninhabited rock and ignorantly blow it up. The only problem with that is it seems I'm the only one around here who believes ships have identification transponders. The smart people tell me the IFF computer uses some kind of magic, not transponders.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
I would expect a hermitage to scan as a ship, not a rock.
I'd expect it to scan as a station, myself. But I agree that ideally they shouldn't show up as rocks.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Thread semi-hijack... Disembodied, you are listed on the wiki as the author of FTZ. Any plans to update it?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
Thread semi-hijack... Disembodied, you are listed on the wiki as the author of FTZ. Any plans to update it?
Plans, no ... vague, half-formed notions of dubious practicality, yes, a bit. But if you want to pick up the FTZ ball and run with it, be my guest! If you're interested I can PM you the above-mentioned vague notions. :)
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Switeck wrote:
On the issue of Rock Hermit Locator OXP, the cost of the equipment (15,000 credits) is really an extravagance for what you get. For the cost of 2 1/2 military lasers, you get a locator for Rock Hermits, which tend to be almost entirely along the space lane between witchpoint beacon and planet, which you'll likely see on your way to the main station because they're so large -- or along the line between the planet and sun.
Hm, I do not find the RHL too expensive, and do not think its price neds to be justified with extra income - though it does bring some extra money, so over time ...
There is always the time, where you have extra money lying around, not doing anything, so why not buy a RHL ?
When you get a new ship, 60-75% are refunded, so not much money is wasted.

But this is my main concern with this oxp :
For the second group (towards the sun), the locator at least tells you if it's "worth your trouble" to go wandering that way.
Actually the RHL tells me this right when I arrived at the WP. :?

So when I enter a dangerous system, I can take the cheap way out and go WP->sun->main station, which I think is bad enough anyway, but at least partly can be compensated with sunskimmers.oxp (Thanks to Cmdr. McLane for telling me.).
But with the RHL, right from entering the system, I am offered a goal to fly to, that - depending on the WP/sun/planet constellation - is mostly outside of any spacelane, so safe to go.
AND as a bonus offers some profit opportunity.
So, too cheap a way out, to me.

Now what I would wish for, is a RHL locator, that only gets the locations of a system's RH(s) transferred to when you dock with the main station.

Would that be possible at all ?
Frame wrote:
Its not a Detector, it is a locator...
it means it will give you known locations of Rock hermits...
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

The link on the Work Hermit wiki page to the v1.65-compatible download is broken. It looks a though the hosting service home20.inet.tele.dk has disappeared.

I suggest removal of the lines:

Code: Select all

Older version
    * Rock Hermit Locator 1.1 - For use with Oolite 1.65 
Yea or nay?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

SandJ wrote:
The link on the Work Hermit wiki page to the v1.65-compatible download is broken. It looks a though the hosting service home20.inet.tele.dk has disappeared.

I suggest removal of the lines:

Code: Select all

Older version
    * Rock Hermit Locator 1.1 - For use with Oolite 1.65 
Yea or nay?
I'd say yea. It doesn't really make sense to support outdated Oolite versions. But you really should ask Frame about it. Perhaps he'd like to put it on the box instead.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

just kill the link... it was writtin for 1.65.

We now have a new stable version.. And I do not have the old version anymore...

cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Frame wrote:
just kill the link... it was written for 1.65.
Done and gone. :)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I'm seeing double beacons sometimes for Rock Hermits and/or Pirate Coves.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Switeck wrote:
I'm seeing double beacons sometimes for Rock Hermits and/or Pirate Coves.
Are you sure it's not just two hermits close by? I've seen that several times.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I am absolutely positive it's 2 buoys touching each other that's meant for 1 Rock Hermit station. While I've sometimes seen as many as 4 Rock Hermits within radar distance of each other...and had trouble figuring out which buoy went with which...I've not seen multiple buoys stacked up very near each other because of 2 or more nearby Rock Hermits.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hmmm, no, I haven't seen that then. Sounds odd.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Is it repeatable or a one-off event?

Are you running a RepairBots repair system and just had a breakage of the locator? The repair should trigger the hermits to spawn their beacons, but only if none are present already (or else the repair won't actively kick-in until you next jump).

Any more details?