Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
an old scrotum.
'Old Scrotum, the wrinkled retainer' from Sir Henry at Rawlinson End.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:lol:

And I've never seen it - shame on me!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

:D i've not seen or even heard of that film either, sounds crazy! is it a bit like 'the young ones' tv show? there's an used copy at amazon.co.uk for about £5
Cody

Post by Cody »

It's a very funny movie... well worth a fiver.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

heh, it's got good customer reviews on amazon, one of which seems to suggest everyone was totally hammered on booze during the making of it :lol:
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Vivian Stanshall of Rawlinson End fame was also part of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonzo_Dog_Doo-Dah_Band
..where the character first appeared, they famously wrote ridiculous and curious music..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8exiVhIW ... re=related

@Griff; Do you have Blender at all? Or if you send me the asteroid section of your model Ill spit it back out some point in the nearish future, I can bring the number of vertices down too
Cody

Post by Cody »

ZygoUgo wrote:
Vivian Stanshall of Rawlinson End fame was also part of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band..
Ahh... Beautiful Zelda from Galaxy Four...
... and The Intro and the Outro.
tonyhippy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tonyhippy »

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Eric Walch wrote:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Griff wrote:
awesome decals Disembodied, i'll sort out some preview pics of them in a mo.

Added the Rockhermit to the ship pack, only available as an individual download at the moment, i'll sort out adding it into the Dizzy all in 1 bundle oxp a bit later.
There are 2 versions - a fullsize texture version and a half size texture version, i was a bit staggered to find that the full size texture version comes to 16 MB zipped up, heaven knows how much texture memory it uses, there's quite a few maps involved:-
two 512x512 maps, three 512x1024 maps, two 1024x512 maps and four 2048x1024 maps
It looks awesome! But I'll bet a lot of older systems, and even a few recent ones, would choke on it.
Not only older systems. Today my FPS rate suddenly dropped from 50+ to 4. After some time it jumped back to the normal value. I had no clue but when displaying a F5 screen or similar the FPS was normal, so it had to be something with texture and not ship activity.

It just happened a second time. This time I noticed the griff-hermit in sight. I hadn't seen it before in game. Awesome entrance, but unplayable with fps = 4. I suspected the hermit, so I exploded it with the console. At the moment of the explosion, my fps was back to normal. I must admit that the system was already crowded with 160+ entities in it, but without the hermit this hardly affected my fps.

(2.66 GHz Core 2 duo mac with NVIDIA GeForce 9400 card)
I downloaded it, and it's like fishing. I found an asteroid field quite close to the station in Xeleza (Galaxy 7, mildly notable for killer Nustza juice) and equipped myself with a rear mining laser. Filled the cargo hold with splinters as big as cars, then took them to the station for a profit (10 Cr per ton, instead of the 4 Cr a ton at the Rock Hermit).

Just now, a Griff Cobra Mk.I was mining with me. We were breaking rocks and scooping up the profits together. Slowly accelerating and working to clear the field. Very soothing.

I have an Intel Core Duo 2GHz iMc, and the full texture slowed things down considerably. The half-texture version worked so much better. I wonder if only having 1GB of RAM might have something to do with it.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

ZygoUgo wrote:
..where the character first appeared, they famously wrote ridiculous and curious music..

@Griff; Do you have Blender at all? Or if you send me the asteroid section of your model Ill spit it back out some point in the nearish future, I can bring the number of vertices down too
Neil Innes from the band was also Sir Robin's minstrel on Monty Python's The Holy Grail, and he performed a song called "How Sweet to Be an Idiot" which Oasis ripped off for "Whatever". Judge for yourself.

DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Pangloss wrote:
ZygoUgo wrote:

Neil Innes from the band was also Sir Robin's minstrel on Monty Python's The Holy Grail, and he performed a song called "How Sweet to Be an Idiot" which Oasis ripped off for "Whatever". Judge for yourself.
Oh yes, I know this one! There's another one - where I really liked the Guitar Riff of an Oasis track (can't remember which - as I hate Oasis) and then somebody played me the Stereophonics track its a direct note for note rip from!
Selezen wrote:
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Oh yes, I know this one! There's another one - where I really liked the Guitar Riff of an Oasis track (can't remember which - as I hate Oasis) and then somebody played me the Stereophonics track its a direct note for note rip from!
Stereophonics said Oasis copied guitar riffs from "Same Size Feet" and used them on "Hindu Times", but it's not as though the Welsh lads are a paragon of virtue...
Jones said of a recent conversation with Noel Gallagher, “I called him a thieving b****** but left it at that. I’ve stolen plenty off him so he’s due one.”

DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

That's the one - thanks for using Google better than I. :wink:

I know bands rip each other off - I think I was trying to make a point that as an Oasis hater I suddenly found myself liking one of their songs, but I didn't I found I liked the Guitar riff of a Stereophonics track! (and I already liked the Stereophonics)
Selezen wrote:
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Back to decals ...

Post by Simon B »

'suse me for being dense - does this mean we now have a standard bunch of griff decals across all npcs and players can set up a PC decal for themselves?
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff’s decal set applies them to most Griff ships, and you can have a custom decal of your own design on the player ship… indeed the Griff Multi-Decal Cobra let’s you have four custom decals. I hope that's what you were referring to.