Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I've broken the 7 ly limit! (sort of...)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I've broken the 7 ly limit! (sort of...)

Post by Commander McLane »

Okti wrote:
The equipment works fine and I was able to earn about 6 million credits in a day on long range contracts.
How did you do that? Does your method not add the individual jump times?

If it doesn't, I would clearly consider it a cheat.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

I dont mean game time, A day of play time I meant.

Okti
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ah, okay. Then it's perfectly fine with me. :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Okti wrote:
The only problem is, this equipment does not work on interstellar space Because ship.exitSystem is not working for a ship there.
Did it not occur to you to perhaps report this as a bug?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Okti wrote:
While BB was down, I had a look at the Idea of making simultanous jumps to the far systems. And I was able to jump from one end of the galaxy to the other end.

I have done that by adding a cheat jump planner equipment to my LongRangeScanner equipment. I am not going to release this version, before all the guys agree on a release. Because it is not my Idea.

I havent used a drone, but another Idea. Apart from the cheat jump part, I added a Jump Planner screen to LongRangeScanner.

The equipment works fine and I was able to earn about 6 million credits in a day on long range contracts. If any body wants to have look at that equipment please post a PM to me.

The only problem is, this equipment does not work on interstellar space Because ship.exitSystem is not working for a ship there. I looked at Interstellar help OXP and it achieves the jump by AI.

Okti
I like this, but worried about how it might unbalance the game. Still, my principle is, let the player decide what he want to install.

Now, is there any way this "oxp" can be limited to jumps to those unreachable systems, from near by systems only. (assuming it not working in interstellar space is rectified). That would make a good reason for the equipment existing, and it wouldn't unbalance the game. Making the equipment rear and expensive would also make a good setting for some secret missions into these systems.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Hi Gimi,

I just send you PM for the temproray link,

Decide after trying it.

Okti
My OXP's
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Gimi wrote:
Now, is there any way this "oxp" can be limited to jumps to those unreachable systems, from near by systems only.
Unreachable systems are unreachable, and no equipment (and no scripting) is going to change that.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Well you can reach some of the unraechable systems by mis jumps if you have a way to top your fuel up to 7 ly.

But to make that automated is a chalange. If you guys provide enough JS handlers and events I think it can be done.

Okti
My OXP's
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Okti wrote:
Well you can reach some of the unraechable systems by mis jumps if you have a way to top your fuel up to 7 ly.

But to make that automated is a chalange. If you guys provide enough JS handlers and events I think it can be done.

Okti
Which is what I want. Makes for an excellent setting for a mission, and just makes the game better. No reason to not use those systems for something sensible. Even those you can only reach by galactic hyperjump would be useful if an OXP could award you a galactic hyperdrive upon completion of the mission.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Gimi wrote:
Which is what I want. Makes for an excellent setting for a mission, and just makes the game better. No reason to not use those systems for something sensible. Even those you can only reach by galactic hyperjump would be useful if an OXP could award you a galactic hyperdrive upon completion of the mission.
You could try [EliteWiki] Cataclysm.oxp. It will bring you to a pair of unreachable systems (and back!). :wink:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Gimi wrote:
Okti wrote:
Which is what I want.
Note also that only two of the "gaps" in the game can be bridged that way. Many of them are too wide to be bridged by any combination of misjumps. The method relies on neighbouring systems being perfectly placed to be able to serve as anchor points. In most cases that is simply not the case, and no amount of scripting can change anything about that.

EDIT: fixed typo
Last edited by Commander McLane on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Commander McLane wrote:
Gimi wrote:
You could try [EliteWiki] Cataclysm.oxp. It will bring you to a pair of unreachable systems (and back!). :wink:
I will (It's on my list).
Not there yet though. Started a new commander a while back, and he is dangerous and still in Galaxy two. I "cheated" too much using OXP's with my last (Elite-rated) commander, so he's retired. Now I'm being careful about the balancing of the game.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Hi,

I've got a question especially for the developers(doing great job for all of us).

I can access a system info for a system easily, no problem with that. Is there a way to access to a systeminfo for interstellar space say between Planet A to B in scripting? Or do I need to wait for 1.76.

I tried to find a way to find the distances between planets in VB.NET using 2 dimensional vectors, but the impression I've got for the near systems the ratio I found works fine but not for all systems. If someone can explain to me how distances between systems is calculated and the interstellar space location between two planets after a misjump is calculated I will realy apreciate.

Okti
My OXP's
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Okti wrote:
I tried to find a way to find the distances between planets in VB.NET using 2 dimensional vectors, but the impression I've got for the near systems the ratio I found works fine but not for all systems. If someone can explain to me how distances between systems is calculated and the interstellar space location between two planets after a misjump is calculated I will realy apreciate.
Look in the misjumpAnalyser.oxp. There I calculate the distance in LY. The distances per cursor coordinate on the x and y scale are different. And calculation is with integers and rounding errors as result of it, to give equal results as old elite. :wink:
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Thanks Eric,

I downloaded the OXP and have a look at it.

Okti