Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

help GREEN HORN WITH NEW OOLITE CRASHES-fixed

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

christina
Competent
Competent

Post by christina »

thanks daddy H.

i think iwill hold off that until i have several oxps.. i have sevral re-done as texture/shader changes.. am already working on a galxay mission .. .

thanks again
chris
christina
Competent
Competent

hello sorry been away

Post by christina »

hello sorry not to reply have been away and off again tomorrrow just wanted you all to know i am here not being a nobb head and ignoring everyone.. sorry..

wish i could win the lotto ... then wont have to work ..

also have several members of the office playing oolite..
one guy has amassed mega amounts of money ..... i,m still stuck in the first galaxy.... bugger must be cheating?

will take you up on the post tuextures on to your page .. as i can have a page here and no inter net at home.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: hello sorry been away

Post by Screet »

christina wrote:
one guy has amassed mega amounts of money ..... i,m still stuck in the first galaxy.... bugger must be cheating?
Could have been a bug (like previously in dredgers) or he simply did go for a boa class cruiser or such and went trading, flying outside the trade lanes to be faster. In that case, making a few millions can be done quite quickly.

Screet
christina
Competent
Competent

discovered extra key board action ,not in the manual??

Post by christina »

One of the guys at work has discovered a great way to speed up the game!.
the keyboard actions are as follows.
press"p" to pause the game.
whilst in 'pause' press the right arrow key a few times.
then un pause.. the game runs at increased speed ,reflecting the increase by the amount of time you pressed the 'right arrow key'.
Press 'pause' again
BUt, this time press the LEFT arrow key ( the same amount of times as you pressed the right arrow key.
Unpause will bring you back to "normal speed'

OR will slow time down.
the guy who amassed huge amounts of money uses this.
He lines up the planet , does the above, ( dont try and fly .you will flip uncontrolable).
double, triples the time until very close to the planet,( almost instantly!).
then slows down , finds the station . then a combination of fast and slow .lines up and docks.
the total trip from witch space tp docking takes about 4 or 5 minutes!.

no wonder he has amassed so much money!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: discovered extra key board action ,not in the manual??

Post by DaddyHoggy »

christina wrote:
One of the guys at work has discovered a great way to speed up the game!.
the keyboard actions are as follows.
press"p" to pause the game.
whilst in 'pause' press the right arrow key a few times.
then un pause.. the game runs at increased speed ,reflecting the increase by the amount of time you pressed the 'right arrow key'.
Press 'pause' again
BUt, this time press the LEFT arrow key ( the same amount of times as you pressed the right arrow key.
Unpause will bring you back to "normal speed'

OR will slow time down.
the guy who amassed huge amounts of money uses this.
He lines up the planet , does the above, ( dont try and fly .you will flip uncontrolable).
double, triples the time until very close to the planet,( almost instantly!).
then slows down , finds the station . then a combination of fast and slow .lines up and docks.

no wonder he has amassed so much money!
:) That's TAF (Time acceleration factor), if you do the left arrow key, it slows time down, it's how Another_Commander does those fab screenshots (that and alleged lightning fast reactions)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: discovered extra key board action ,not in the manual??

Post by Screet »

christina wrote:
It's taking a similar amount of time without time acceleration if you leave the main route to the planet.

It works like this: When you come out of witchspace, turn roughly 90 degrees off the planet, fly for a few seconds with "J" or a bit longer on injectors (if other ships were present) and then aim towards the planets space station, but not directly at it, but a few cm away from the planet and adjust course when you come pretty close. This way you can fly with "J" without interruptions and thus speed things up really much. Of course, you will miss the fun of fighting, but it's good for flying big trade ships.

If you then add some oxp that adds additional an additional trading station to overcome the 127 limit, you'll make money VERY fast and even a costly combat ship will soon be affordable.

Screet
christina
Competent
Competent

Post by christina »

overcome the 127 limit...

please explain ...overcome the 127 limit....

limit on what .

as for oxp..
are there any that conflict with each other. i have down loaded LOTS.
but not put them in the addons folder.
( they are here at work.. hidden in the depths of hell..e rmm ok hidden in the depths of my very untidy system of storing work stuff on my computer... :wink:
will be buying a portable drive ASAP and then installing at home.

besides i,m enjoying changing the textures of models...

have to go BIB

boss is back
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

The 127 limit is that a station can't hold more than 127 units of any one commodity. Quite a restriction when flying a big cargo hauler - it is hard to fill, and hard to offload everything if it is full.

Best advice with OXPs is just add a few at a time. That way if something goes "kablooie" you only have a couple of suspects as to which is causing the problem :wink:
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

I second Makara's advice, add them gradually. Asking "which ones have conflicts" is a tricky question to answer and probably easier if you list the ones you've downloaded and the respective versions. The most critical conflict is if you've downloaded the latest version of an oxp that is incompatible with the version of Oolite you've got installed.

Certain newer OXPs will only work with 1.73 onwards.

Also regarding the tip about flying away from the witchspace point parallel to the planet and then jumping towards the planet, thus taking you off the main space lane and avoiding most of the traffic - this is a great tip but if you have the Deep Space Pirates OXP installed, there is a chance this tip can get you into trouble. It is fun though :D .
christina
Competent
Competent

Post by christina »

oh yes the ... old 127 limit ..yes ... well i wont have that problem for a long time not me and my little asp..

ha ha

hayy any tips in combat ..
those pesky pirates..

iget blow up before i see them..
i get the warning ans swing around .. ..i cant see any thing ,they are to far away?.. all ise is laser fire .. and no ship.. does oolite have a ID thingy i can put up... like in frontier the ships all had a reg'o number you could see..... it really helped in space.

Also i jsut trying that russian version of the first encounters game, it's good but i can get the auto pilot to work.. so must be a bug?.

also trying that orbitor.. wow ihope those a BRAANs frontier have a look and get some ideas for the new elite four..

have alook at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PagcwGyDSzE

cool

sorry not trying to promote some thing else justt wow .. first time i seen this..
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

christina wrote:
.. does oolite have a ID thingy i can put up... like in frontier the ships all had a reg'o number you could see..... it really helped in space.
Oolite has the ID computer and the scanner targeting enhancement, which provides information about the target, but by default we do not generate a ship ID visible to the player. This can be easily done with scripting though:
In the above, I am running a script which generates a random ID number whenever a ship gets spawned. This number stays with the ship until it is removed from the universe. The ID format is similar to Frontier's (XX-123), but that can be easily changed in the script as well.
christina
Competent
Competent

Post by christina »

errmmmnot a making games person so would need "idiots , complete morans guide to putting in that script... like cut and paste :)

how do you get that image on the mail?.

i could put my textures on here for you guys to look at and take????
cant see
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

christina wrote:
errmmmnot a making games person so would need "idiots , complete morans guide to putting in that script... like cut and paste :)

how do you get that image on the mail?.

i could put my textures on here for you guys to look at and take????
cant see
Yup, you can put you textures here for us to see.

You need a image hosting site - such as Photobucket - it's painless and free if you don't have one.

If we stick with Photobucket as an example (other image hosters are available) - You use the web browser based uploader to upload your image files from your Hard Drive to the space in your Photobucket account.

Once this is done - Photobucket generates a series links for each image either as a direct URL hyperlink or for this forum an [ img] [ /img] string. Copy the whole string (i.e. [ IMG]http://www.photobucket.com/yourfiledir/ ... 234567.png[ /IMG] into a message window here as if it's normal text (including the img tags) and the forum will take care of the rest.

[Note: i've deliberately put a ' ' between the opening square bracket and the word 'IMG' or '/IMG' to prevent the code being converted (and yes I realise I could tick 'Disable BBCode in this post' but I'd already done it! :roll: <- and I like my emoticons!)]
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Looking forward to seeing those textures already! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

christina wrote:
By your command ;-)

For completeness, these are the instructions for making your ships have an ID similar to the Frontier one (XX-1234) - Note: This is a very quick and dirty thing, more like proof of concept, so if you expect quality code look elsewhere:

1. Open the shipdata.plist file containing the information for the ship you want to have ID for.
2. Inside the entry for the ship you are interested in, insert this line:

Code: Select all

script = "shipIDScript.js";
3. Copy the below and save it as <Wherever you installed Oolite>\AddOns\shipID.oxp\Scripts\shipIDScript.js

Code: Select all

this.name			= "shipIDScript";
this.author			= "another_commander";
this.copyright		= "© 2007–2009 the Oolite team.";
this.description	= "Adds an ID of type XX-1234, displayed as part of the ship's display name. Warning! Hack! There has to be a better way of doing this, but it probably involves extra work and I feel lazy on a Friday afternoon :-P";
this.version		= "1.73.4";
this.licence      = "CC-by-NC-SA";

this.randRange = function(intFrom, intTo, intSeed)
{
	// This function written by Ben Nadel, taken from
	// http://www.bennadel.com/blog/199-Ask-Ben-Creating-Large-Random-Strings-In-Javascript.htm

// Make sure that we have integers.
	intFrom = Math.floor(intFrom);
	intTo = Math.floor(intTo);

// Return the random number.
	// Seed the random number if a value was passed.
	return (Math.floor(intFrom + ((intTo - intFrom + 1) * Math.random((intSeed != null) ? intSeed : 0 ))));
}

this.shipSpawned = function ()
{
	// the below is a shameless hack, there has to be a better way of doing this
	// construct a random XX-1234 type ID - note: check for duplicate IDs not implemented
	if (this.ship.primaryRole != "asteroid" && this.ship.primaryRole != "rock" && this.ship.primaryRole != "wreckage" &&
			this.ship.primaryRole != "buoy" && this.ship.primaryRole != "rockhermit" &&
			this.ship.primaryRole != "thargoid" && this.ship.primaryRole != "thargon" &&
			!this.ship.isMissile)
	{
		this.ship.displayName = this.ship.displayName + " ";
		for (var i = 0; i < 2; i++)
		{
			var idc = this.randRange(65,90); // 'A' to 'Z'
			this.ship.displayName = this.ship.displayName + String.fromCharCode(idc);
		}

this.ship.displayName = this.ship.displayName + "-" + this.randRange(1000,9999);
	}
}
4. Launch Oolite with the Shift key held down until you see the rotating Cobra. Exit station. Now, any ship that had its shipdata entry edited to have the shipIDScript.js script added, will be appearing with the random ID added.