Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: Oolite Wiki

Post by Old Murgh »

UK_Eliter wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:10 pm
The problem seems to owe to the size of the whole archive (or perhaps the combined size of the images). When my OXZ (ExtraThargoids, but I bet this applies to any of my OXPs) is smaller than 1MB, it uploads. When it is larger than 1 MB, it fails to upload.
Allright, that may be it. But it's still strange when it states upfront "Maximum file size: 8 MB".
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:18 pm
Allright, that may be it. But it's still strange when it states upfront "Maximum file size: 8 MB".
It is not only strange; it is also a constraint. So the question becomes: can we remove that constraint, or must we work around it? Another question is: why has this problem suddenly developed? For, the OXZ in question has been > 1 MB before:

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Oolite Wiki fix

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:45 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:30 pm
Murgh, I've had the same issues since yesterday afternoon (no problems yesterday morning).
Is this still so? I just now successfully uploaded images, everything normal..
Still having problems. Tried just now to upload a .png (1,072,308 bytes (1.1 MB on disk)) and got this:
413 Request Entity Too Large
nginx/1.18.0
And that was despite logging out and then back in again!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:07 pm
nginx/1.18.0

Yes, I get this too when trying a 1MB+ image.
UK_Eliter wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:23 pm
It is not only strange; it is also a constraint. So the question becomes: can we remove that constraint, or must we work around it? Another question is: why has this problem suddenly developed? For, the OXZ in question has been > 1 MB before:
No other explanation than this occurred during Winston's upgrade.
I can't see any other solution than to take it back to our benefactor and see what he says.

On this note, last time I mentioned to him (though he didn't mention it in his reply) that since he carries the upkeep of this server and traffic, what if we organised a donate button so some money could go to his expenses for doing this (–all these years). I know I'd feel good about contributing considering all the pleasure that has so far been cost free to me.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:52 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:07 pm
nginx/1.18.0

Yes, I get this too when trying a 1MB+ image.
Quite. But I had no problems with such larger images yesterday morning. Or last week. Only since lunchtime yesterday.

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:52 pm
UK_Eliter wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:23 pm
No other explanation than this occurred during Winston's upgrade.
I can't see any other solution than to take it back to our benefactor and see what he says.

On this note, last time I mentioned to him (though he didn't mention it in his reply) that since he carries the upkeep of this server and traffic, what if we organised a donate button so some money could go to his expenses for doing this (–all these years). I know I'd feel good about contributing considering all the pleasure that has so far been cost free to me.
I've offered dosh to him several times. No joy. The situation with Aegidian might be quite different, though.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:07 pm
I've offered dosh to him several times. No joy. The situation with Aegidian might be quite different, though.
Well then. The man can't be bought! :D
But as you say, Giles takes the tab for the boards? That is also a worthwhile hat to pass around.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

A workaround for OXP makers to reduce the size of one's image and/or audio files.

For image files, optipng does lossless compression. Another technique for reducing the size of image files - and to be performed before optipng-ing - is to 'posterize' images. That technique reduces the number of colours that an image uses. (One thing that Optipng does is to remove data for unused colours. With posterizing, one can remove colours that one's image does use, by, so to speak, reducing the colour resolution. I use GIMP to posterize. I find that, in order to get a reduction in file size, I need to posterize to the degree - it comes in degrees - that I can see the difference. So, at least if one uses posterizing in conjunction with Optipng, posterizing will reduce file size only if one uses posterizing in a lossy manner.)

For OGG audio files, this website does costless, lossy compression.

Using these techniques, I've reduced the extraThargoids.OXZ - to which I'd already applied Optipng and some tentative posterizing - from 1.5 MB to 1.16 MB. As that latter figure suggests, the reduction was not enough to get through the new, whimsical, savage size filter. But, still, I think the compression was a good idea, because it will reduce download time, possibly slightly improve in-game performance, and was at only a very minor cost in perceivable video and audio quality.

Also, I'm happy to contribute some money to Aegidian.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

UK_Eliter wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:18 pm
Using these techniques, I've reduced the extraThargoids.OXZ - to which I'd already applied Optipng and some tentative posterizing - from 1.5 MB to 1.16 MB. As that latter figure suggests, the reduction was not enough to get through the new, whimsical, savage size filter. But, still, I think the compression was a good idea, because it will reduce download time, possibly slightly improve in-game performance, and was at only a very minor cost in perceivable video and audio quality.
It's commendable and I'm sure a good thing for anyone who packs ~300 OXZs, but if half a MB leads to noticeable loss in quality then it must be a little agonising. At any rate, with a 1MB limit, that excludes most advanced graphics. I must have more than 20 OXZs of 30-110MB through the expansions manager (is that puny?) so if there isn't only to be mainly textbased OXZs in the future, the limit needs to be raised.
I wonder if someone has experience with setting up a donate button that would lead to a paypal trickle to the founder.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:45 pm
I wonder if someone has experience with setting up a donate button that would lead to a paypal trickle to the founder.
If money is behind, a lot of people should claim being the founder immediately... ;-)

More seriously, what is the interplanteory gift shop for?
https://www.cafepress.com/oolite
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

I did not know about that gift shop ('shoop')? Also, someone would have to be pretty keen to wear one of these . . Still, the mouse mat is nice (although the 'view larger' button is not working for me).
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

hiran wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:52 pm
More seriously, what is the interplanteory gift shop for?
https://www.cafepress.com/oolite
Giles set that up in 2004 or 05. Amazing if it's still operative..
You may know he also has these 3Dprinted items for sale
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aegidian
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:20 am
Goodness. It's changed! I last looked a year and a half ago, and it looks as though 50% of the stuff is different.
Comments wanted:
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:34 am
Old Murgh wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:20 am
Goodness. It's changed! I last looked a year and a half ago, and it looks as though 50% of the stuff is different.
There's some good Oolite stuff in there! Considerable talent seems to be on display, too!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:18 pm
As much as I understand, the general limit for file uploads is currently 1 MB. Before we had 100 MB for oxz files and 1 MB (?) for graphics. If I remember correct, the last time we were facing this situation, Maik had to apply somewhere to raise the limit again.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

montana05 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:26 am
As much as I understand, the general limit for file uploads is currently 1 MB. Before we had 100 MB for oxz files and 1 MB (?) for graphics. If I remember correct, the last time we were facing this situation, Maik had to apply somewhere to raise the limit again.
Another communiqué dispatched to Cmdr. Winston, so we shall wait and see.