Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite & Lucid (Ubuntu 10.04)

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Wow... well I had a trunk build from karmic, upgraded instead of installed lucid, without even thinking about it and it just works.

I'll have to keep notes for the next build though.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

That's good to know - currently on Karmic - keep ignoring the upgrade reminder in the update manager! 8) :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
TheOsh
Poor
Poor

Post by TheOsh »

Ok, question. I'm on Lucid (a new install, not an upgrade). libgnustep-base is version 1.19.3 and I've added the test package source lines for Lucid to my sources.list file. After installing using apt-get, Oolite is still 1.65-6build2.

Is GNUstep still an issue? or is the Ubuntu repository not up to date with the preferred version of Oolite?

If it's Ubuntu's repository, is there an easy way to get from 1.65 to 1.74?

If it's still a GNUstep issue, is there any idea on when things will be ready?
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Ubuntu (and Debian) still ship Oolite 1.65 because that is the last stable version of Oolite that was released. They won't officially package 'test' releases as part of their distro.

Silly question, I know, but did you 'apt-get update' before 'apt-get install oolite' after you modified your sources.list?

Also, yes, the GNUstep issue is still an issue. You can add the ppa which is referenced to your sources.list as well, in which case you will get a version of GNUstep which fixes that particular bug. However there may be other bugs we haven't found yet.
There's no ETA for getting a fixed version of GNUstep into the official Ubuntu repositories. These things take time to ensure the fix doesn't introduce even worse regressions.

If you just want to play Oolite, it's recommended you use the autopackage version of Oolite for now.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
TheOsh
Poor
Poor

Post by TheOsh »

Yup, I did do the apt-get update and still got the 1.65 version.

I would be willing to try putting 1.74 on this box, (and don't feel like compiling from scratch). What do you think my chances are of adding one of the older Ubuntu repositories to my sources.list and going from there?

Or, like you said, best to just stick with 1.65 until things are fixed?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

TheOsh wrote:

I would be willing to try putting 1.74 on this box, (and don't feel like compiling from scratch). What do you think my chances are of adding one of the older Ubuntu repositories to my sources.list and going from there?

Or, like you said, best to just stick with 1.65 until things are fixed?
No point in sticking with 1.65 - almost none of the OXPs you might want to play will work with 1.65, 1.73.4 is the way to go, which you should get with the auto-package. Not sure why you're not - I know I'm not on Lucid, but I've been using the autopackage for a long time now, Fiesty, Gutsy and Karmic...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
TheOsh
Poor
Poor

Post by TheOsh »

I was on Jaunty and you're right, all the oxp's that I use need 1.73.4.

Going to the Oolite home page, the 1.73.4 download is for Jaunty and Karmic. There are also a few notes about it not working under Lucid due to some bugs in GNUstep. But there is an additional note that the GNUstep bug is fixed, but maybe that's just to allow 1.65? Maybe 1.73.4 is still not working correctly under the fixed GNUstep and Jaunty?

Any clarification out there?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Clarification: the GNUStep library used in Lucid is a bit broken. The Oolite devs found the breakage and reported it to the GNUStep developers.

The fix is there, but won't be added to Lucid for a while, as Micha has told you already.

If anything, 1.73.4 has got more of a chance of running without problems in Lucid than 1.65.

If you download and use the .package, instead of the .deb download, you won't be affected by the bug. The .package includes a non-broken version of GNUStep that Oolite will be using.

Loading and running an autopackage .package just installs the program, doesn't compile anything. The first time you install an autopackage it can be a bit daunting, but if you read up about autopackage, you'll know what to expect!

Hope things are a bit more clear now.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Unfortunately I just found another GNUstep1.19.3 issue. This issue revolves around the reported problem with 'corrupted' savegames (in fact, the savegames are fine, unless you count unicode characters as corruption!)

I'll see if I can isolate & backport the fix (this particular issue is already fixed in gnustep-base1.20) and forward it to Ubuntu.
Last edited by Micha on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

@TheOsh
Kaks wrote:
...The first time you install an autopackage it can be a bit daunting...
Read this post for instructions on how to install oolite autopackage package.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

TheOsh wrote:
Hi,

You're right, there appears to be something wrong with the debian package server and 1.73.4 packages aren't being served for some reason.

Many apologies for this. This will hopefully be fixed in the next few days.
TheOsh
Poor
Poor

Post by TheOsh »

I think I can wait for the Ubuntu repositories to be updated. That's probably the best option, since updates will be automagic and I wouldn't have to worry about compiling when there's a newer version...
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Right now I would strongly urge to use the autopackage version for Lucid.

As I posted on Monday, there's more issues with gnustep1.19.3, which I haven't managed to isolate yet. Until I do, all Lucid packages will be taken offline again anyway. Sorry - but there's no point in giving people access to a known problematic version.
Samoth
Average
Average

Failed to run for me

Post by Samoth »

Hi,

I've tried the test-releases und the nightly built trunc even in 32 bit and 64 bit on my notebook with kubuntu 10.04 64-bit and a gforce 7600 go gpu (1440x900). None of these versions start correctly to run.

they all have the same strange behavior:

I see a very small window with a small piece of graphics, but the window doesn't react on any input. Closing is only possible by killing the process !

The log doesn't tell me any error. So what's wrong ?

Is it possible to start it in a safe-mode or with additional error-checkings ?
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Try starting from a command prompt (Accessories -> Terminal) with the -nosplash flag:

Code: Select all

$ oolite -nosplash
This has helped people in the past..

Also, can you resize the window?