Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Smivs' Shipset OXP - Development thread.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've never thought of them as windows - in the old 8-bit C64 days - possibly because there was no sense of scale - but as you say in Oolite with it's wacky scales I just presumed ports or sensor grids or somesuch!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

The Great British Compromise.
I now have a Sensor/Deflector with two portholes (one either side) combined in a panel on the ship. I think this could be the answer...you've got the pretty glowing-blue sensor thing and you can see out as well :D
Below is the ubiquitous Adder updated.

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just to keep you all up to date on progress, I have decided to go with the compromise solution of 'sensors' plus cockpits. It's not really a compromise as such, as it's proving really quite good on the ships I've done so far. Many of the cockpits are being down-sized to give them a more appropriate scale.
As is my way, I'm working through them alphabetaically, and have to date done the Adder (complete with a new skin for the scavenger/shuttle role so there will be two Adder variants), the Anaconda which you've seen, a brand new skin for the Asp, and both the Boa and Boa Class Cruiser, as well as the Mk1 Cobra. All have new improved emission maps and are much prettier :D
I am currently working on the Mk3 Cobra, and have yet to finish the Alternative Livery and Pirate versions, but below is a sneak peek at the standard (player) version, complete with a new 'Cobra' decal and hull spotlights.

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Smivs wrote:
Just to keep you all up to date on progress, I have decided to go with the compromise solution of 'sensors' plus cockpits. It's not really a compromise as such, as it's proving really quite good on the ships I've done so far. Many of the cockpits are being down-sized to give them a more appropriate scale.
As is my way, I'm working through them alphabetaically, and have to date done the Adder (complete with a new skin for the scavenger/shuttle role so there will be two Adder variants), the Anaconda which you've seen, a brand new skin for the Asp, and both the Boa and Boa Class Cruiser, as well as the Mk1 Cobra. All have new improved emission maps and are much prettier :D
I am currently working on the Mk3 Cobra, and have yet to finish the Alternative Livery and Pirate versions, but below is a sneak peek at the standard (player) version, complete with a new 'Cobra' decal and hull spotlights.

Looking Very good!
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I found myself chatting about the ongoing development of v3 yesterday on a different thread, so I thought it must be time for an update.
In a nutshell, all the graphics work is done bar a few minor tweaks, so I'm into the testing phase which I always enjoy as it just involves playing lots of Oolite and checking all the ships appear as and when they should, and they look OK in game. So far so good.
So, as another teaser, this is the new 'flamey' Python Blackdog.

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Smivs' Shipset OXP - Development thread.

Post by Smivs »

v3.1 of Smivs'Shipset is due for release in a few days time.
The main reason for the update is to correct the old Thargoid missile_launch_position glitch which it inherited from the game's early shipdata, but why waste the opportunity to tinker?
v3.1 will therefore have a few other tweaks as well as some new and revised textures. :D
One thing i wanted to mention now is that amongst other things I've re-worked the textures for the Cobby 3, and just wanted to ask you all a question. Below are the two standard versions (not the pirate in other words). One will be the player/trader version and the other the 'alternate'. Previously the player/trader has been blue, but maybe it's time for a change.

I'm not going to open a poll, but which version do you think should be the player version? I guess a lot of you fly a Cobby 3, so which colour scheme would you prefer on your ship?
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I like the yellow/green one best. As you said, maybe it's time for a change. :)
I think you should try an orange/brown or maybe black/yellow cobby.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Well, there's the pirate version...

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Oooh, pretty! :D
Maybe the pirate version should be player-buyable...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

You can always swap the texture name for the player in shipdata :wink: <I didn't say that>
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Nearly there now...release should be within the next 48 hours! :D

Having thought more about the player Cobra 3, I remembered an idea I trialled a year or so ago which allowed a player to 'build' their own custom skin. I have now adapted and improved this idea and will be including a 'kit' in the shipset OXP which will allow you to make your own custom skin for the player Cobra 3.
There will be a choice of eight base colours or six coloured patterns, and you will also be able to apply a pattern over a base colour if required as well. Also sixteen different decal sets will be included. By mixing and matching this will give over 750 different colour/pattern and decal permutations!
It will be very easy to use. You will need graphics software that can handle layers, such as Photoshop or the free open-source Gimp. All you will need to do is drag and drop components of the texture using the graphics software, then put the resulting texture in the Textures folder of the shipset. As simple as that!
This feature does not have to be used - the OXP will work fine without it and the player will get the default blue Cobra as before.
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Smivs,

Sounds like a brilliant idea. Looking forward to seeing it.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.