Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Windows+ATI star and nebula display bug solution.

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

prallo wrote:
Easy not for me ! Sorry, maybe I am only plain stupid ! :oops:
You could send me your build ! :P
Possible ?
It's too large for email. If you have an ftp server running or an idea where I could store it...

Screet
prallo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by prallo »

How large is it ?
Maybe you could store it on a 1-Click Hoster like files.to or something else.
Anyway, if it is too much work for you let me know.
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

prallo, to answer your previous question, I'm using an ATi HD 4670 card and updating to 9.6 cured my display problems too (ugly squares etc).
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

prallo wrote:
How large is it ?
Maybe you could store it on a 1-Click Hoster like files.to or something else.
Anyway, if it is too much work for you let me know.
It's almost 21 MB in size. If it's only for the nebulae problem, I suggest to update the driver, if possible. ATI fixed the bug, however that happened shortly after removing many supported cards from the driver, I've got a card where the latest driver is 9.3, which is still buggy, while ATI introduced the bugfix in 9.6.

Screet
prallo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by prallo »

OK, thanks then.
Can´t wait for the 1.73 with new features.
Hopefully not so long ! :mrgreen:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Have recently updated the drivers for my HD 3650 to 9.6. Behold, stars and nebulae. Maybe ATI are back on track.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
Have recently updated the drivers for my HD 3650 to 9.6. Behold, stars and nebulae. Maybe ATI are back on track.
Yeh, but they're a lap behind :wink:

(but that's OK coz Intel are still trying to put their running shoes on)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JackBassV
Average
Average

Post by JackBassV »

For me, 9.6 had no effect, even with my new 4770 card.

But the new 9.7 works a treat, and the frame rate's improved.

Anyway, I can now see the nebula in all their glory - again.

JBV^_^

The 4770 is the weirdest graphics card I've ever owned. The harder I push it (for a given resolution) the higher the frame rate!
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

The 4770 is the weirdest graphics card I've ever owned. The harder I push it (for a given resolution) the higher the frame rate!
Could be something to do with the way the pipelines are built - POWER CPUs are a bit like that...
MerlynUK
Poor
Poor

Post by MerlynUK »

Noticed the nebula effect problem as well today, strange because I hadn't noticed it before and I hadn't installed any software or drivers recently.

I'm running Windows 7 RC 64 bit with a 4770 card - Upgrading Catalyst to 9.7 seemed to do the trick though - everything is back to normal. Hopefully it will stay that way!!

M.
Nijik
Competent
Competent

Post by Nijik »

So, using the cracking new sticky "Tutorial - Modding the latest ATI/NVIDIA drivers for laptops" posted by Diziet I have finally successfully upgraded my ATI Xpress 1100 drivers to Catalyst Control Centre 9.11 only to find it gives me the square blob stars and more often than not 'displays' some ships (Cobra Courier and Rapier to name two) as black shadows with exhaust plumes.
What I would like to know is are the 9.6/9.7 versions of Catalyst Control Centre mentioned in this thread still the latest versions that appear to work as problem free as possible with Oolite?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I don't know anything about your particular GPU, (and am not about to go looking, as it's 5.15am here - looong Oolite session - hehehe) but if you post your Latest.log file here, we can see what level of shader support your GPU has. That will give us an idea of what can/can't be done...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hi Nijik

I had problems with the 9.11 (and the 9.12) drivers.
Had to roll back to 9.10 which is fine.

See this thread

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7121
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Nijik
Competent
Competent

Post by Nijik »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I don't know anything about your particular GPU, (and am not about to go looking, as it's 5.15am here - looong Oolite session - hehehe) but if you post your Latest.log file here, we can see what level of shader support your GPU has. That will give us an idea of what can/can't be done...
Here you go, fill yer boots, I'm guessing the 'Files not found' and 'shipdata.load' errors aren't good:

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.73.4 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2010-01-25 20:05:29 +0000.
1 processor detected.
Oolite Options: [Procedural Planets] [Docking Clearance] [Wormhole Scanner] [Target Incoming Missiles]

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1280 x 800
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.8544 ("2.1.8544 Release")
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: ATI RADEON XPRESS 1100 Series
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (93):
GL_AMD_performance_monitor GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_ATI_meminfo GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texgen_reflection GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: ---> OXP search paths:
(Resources, ../AddOns, "../AddOns/Amen Bricks Megaships.oxp", ../AddOns/Anarchies2.3.oxp, "../AddOns/behemoth 2.5.4.oxp", "../AddOns/BehemothSpacewar 1.2.1.oxp", ../AddOns/BountyScannerv1.061.oxp, "../AddOns/Cargo_wrecks_teaser 1.5.3.oxp", ../AddOns/Cataclysm.oxp, ../AddOns/cobra3njx.oxp, ../AddOns/Commies.oxp, "../AddOns/DeepSpacePirates 1.2.3.oxp", "../AddOns/Dictators v1.3.oxp", "../AddOns/Dredgers 2.2.7.oxp", "../AddOns/Executive Spaceways v2.2.oxp", "../AddOns/Freaky Thargoids 3.1.oxp", "../AddOns/Fuel Tank v2.2.oxp", "../AddOns/Gates 1.00.oxp", ../AddOns/globestation2.0.oxp, ../AddOns/griff_normalmapped_ships.oxp, ../AddOns/gwxstations.oxp, ../AddOns/halsis.oxp, ../AddOns/Llama.oxp, ../AddOns/marett_vol1.oxp, "../AddOns/Missile Rack 1.02.oxp", "../AddOns/neolite-companion.oxp", "../AddOns/neolite-wolfies.oxp", ../AddOns/newships.oxp, ../AddOns/nuvipers.oxp, ../AddOns/orbits.oxp, ../AddOns/PAGroove_Stations_v1.2.1.oxp, "../AddOns/Pirate_coves 1.2.1.oxp", ../AddOns/RandomHits1.3.6.oxp, "../AddOns/RandomHits1.3.6.oxp/Generation Ships 1.1.oxp", ../AddOns/Rock_Hermit_Locator1.3.oxp, "../AddOns/Saleza v2.1.oxp", "../AddOns/Thargorn_Threat 1.3.1.oxp", "../AddOns/Transports 2.51.oxp", "../AddOns/Trident Down v1.4.oxp", "../AddOns/UPS-courier v1.6.1.oxp", ../AddOns/Vector1.3.oxp, ../AddOns/wolfmk2.oxp)
[dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
[shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data...
[shipData.merge.failed]: ***** ERROR: one or more shipdata.plist entries have like_ship references that cannot be resolved: delaney-ship, playfair-ship
[shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "PAGroove-coriolis-reference" specifies no model.
[shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "PAGroove-icosahedron-reference" specifies no model.
[shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "PAGroove-dodecahedron-reference" specifies no model.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 32 world scripts: "Anarchies" 2.3, "behemoth" 2.5.4, "behemoth-spacewar" 1.2.1, "Bounty Scanner" 1.061, "Cargo_Wreck_Teaser" 1.5.3, "Cataclysm" 1.1, "communist_population" 2.09, "deep_space_dredger" 2.2.7, "deep_space_pirates" 1.2.3, "dictatorship_population", "ExecutiveFlightSchedule", "gates_masterScript" 1.0, "Generation Ships" 1.1, "oolite-cloaking-device" 1.73.4, "oolite-constrictor-hunt" 1.73.4, "oolite-nova" 1.73.4, "oolite-thargoid-plans" 1.73.4, "oolite-trumbles" 1.73.4, "Orbits" 1.2, "Pirate_Coves" 1.2.1, "Random_Hits", "rockHermit_Locator" 1.3, "SalezaPatrol", "Thargorn_Witchspace_Battle" 1.3.1, "transportSchedule" 2.50, "trident_down", "ups_container" 1.6, "ups_docs" 1.6, "ups_parcel" 1.6, "ups_slaves" 1.6, "ups_sun" 1.6, "vector" 1.3
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "null-neolite-normalmap.png". Used default no textures material instead.
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "null-neolite-normalmap.png". Used default no textures material instead.
[shader.link.failure]: ***** GLSL shader linking failed:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment shader(s) failed to link, vertex shader(s) linked.

>>>>> GLSL log:
WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [0] has mismatched access semantics between the vertex and fragment shader

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:
WARNING: built-in varying gl_TexCoord [0] has mismatched access semantics between the vertex and fragment shader

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:

>>>>> GLSL log:

[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2010-01-25 20:06:07 +0000.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hello,

Code: Select all

[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.8544 ("2.1.8544 Release") 
that's high enough to run shaders in 'full' mode

Code: Select all

>>>>> GLSL log: 
these messages will probably explain the black ships, it looks like their assigned shaders have errors in them and are not running - it might possibly be the neoolite oxp causing these, i think the shaders are still WIP and might have a few bugs in, but fair play to Simon, it's a massive project he's taken on and as far as i'm aware he hasn't been able to track down a shader development program for his computer to help him test his work on

have you tried the '-nosplash' thing on your oolite shortcut, if i remember correctly that might fix the problems with the square blob stars
:lol: i didn't realise this was the -nosplash thread! after posting the above i went hunting for it with the forum search to link to it here and was a bit suprised to see 'griff' as the author of the latest post, he gets everywhere with his stupid looking hat and clueless expression