Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Rock Hermit Locator add on

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I now uploaded version 1.2.2 of Frame's Rock Hermit Locator.

Download: Rock_Hermit_Locator1.2.2

This version now makes use of the 1.71 possibilities of easier placement of objects. In this version the buoys are placed exactly in line with the docking bay for easier docking. works with 1.71. With 1.70 it is placed in the less precise old way.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Eric Walch wrote:
I found my hermit beacon locator still appeared to work after it got damaged. This could be explained by the navigation computer remembering the coordinates it had got from it.
You are right, that is the way the locator works. On entering it determines al the beacon transmission codes and sends it to the main computer. This means that if the locator gets damaghed in battle the main computer still remembers the beacon position. You only need the locator on entering the system.
Not anymore. Oolite 1.72 explicitly sends a message to oxp's when equipment gets damaged. So with 1.72 it becomes possible to react immediately on failure of the locator. I uploaded a new version of Frames Locator were this new thing is added.

Download new version for Oolite 1.72+ Rock Hermit Locator 1.3

Also the warnings in the log about changed names is taken care of.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

This piece of equipment cannot be sold.

I think that in a future release that possibility would be nice, or alternately McLane can include it in his sell equipment oxp.

Just mentioned it :wink:

Edit: I have also seen that the rockhermit buoy does not ratate. Is that intentional? I have similar problems when i add something with script. It always not rotates
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
This means that if the locator gets damaghed in battle the main computer still remembers the beacon position. You only need the locator on entering the system.
Is that the reason why a damaged advanced space compass still continues to work?

Screet
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ark wrote:
This piece of equipment cannot be sold.

I think that in a future release that possibility would be nice, or alternately McLane can include it in his sell equipment oxp.

Edit: I have also seen that the rockhermit buoy does not ratate. Is that intentional? I have similar problems when i add something with script. It always not rotates
If you don't need the locator anymore, you can just remove the oxp.

Buoy rotation is a problem. Buoys added by the populator are giving a fixed rotation on addition. In scripting you can only make things rotate by using the performTumble command. But that gives the buoy a random rotation value between 0 and maximum rotation speed. I do that in buoy repair. It could also be done here I think.
Screet wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
This means that if the locator gets damaghed in battle the main computer still remembers the beacon position. You only need the locator on entering the system.
Is that the reason why a damaged advanced space compass still continues to work?
Could be, I don't know. With the locator things have changed. Oolite 1.72 now directly signals the script when something gets damaged. So the last edition of the locator uses this info and also immediately stops working when damaged.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ark wrote:
Can be done. I simply overlooked it before.

(I think it's the only piece of equipment I am still going to add.)
Captain Fullstrength
Average
Average

Other Targets

Post by Captain Fullstrength »

Hey

I got the Rock Hermit Locator add-on for the Advanced Space Compass. It's been great using it, but now I've got two more targets I haven't seen before.

As well as

W=Witchpoint Beacon
N=Navigation Beacon
R=Rock Hermit

I've now got (in the same system)

A=???
and
F=???

What do these codes represent?

I'm running OOlite 1.72.2 on a mac with the Realistic Shipyards OXP and a few others.
Its bad luck to be superstitious . . .
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Other Targets

Post by _ds_ »

Captain Fullstrength wrote:
I've now got (in the same system)

A=???
and
F=???

What do these codes represent?
Commies.oxp installed, and in a communist system? Then they're astromines and factories; both dockable.

The only (slightly) annoying thing is that ‘F’ becomes overloaded if you have the Fuel Station OXP installed; might be better to allow icons here, as for missile rack content.
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Captain Fullstrength
Average
Average

Post by Captain Fullstrength »

Thanks for that - I've now visited both and its interesting what they have to sell.

It must be the Commies OXP - It is a Communist System and both the Astromine and the Factory were plastered with commie iconography.
Its bad luck to be superstitious . . .
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

For your info:

The Rock Hermit Locator is upgraded to version 1.3.1. (Actually it is already updated a month ago).

It is identical to version 1.3 in function and use, but it will not write any warnings about changed code into the log file under 1.73.
biffa
Above Average
Above Average

Post by biffa »

Hi everyone

Again a big thanks to all who give us the oxp's and the new game uploads.

I have played elite,oolite for a while now and decide to re install windows and that then gave me the chance to try the new game 173.4 and start over again.Worked very hard and with the knowledge from my previous game time it has not taken me long to gain a lot of credits and grab me a new ship!

all i can say its all brilliant and i am totaly enjoying all the new stuff in game,i have just done a few of the basic missions so far (to busy making credits) and on the last mission (constrictor) i came across 2 rock hermits side by side.yes i did land at both and got lots of gold etc.:)
heres a snap i took of them:

Also i took this snap of a cobra in a refueling station,it entered the staion from where i took the snap and the did a 360% turn in the station.

just a foot note to new players,try not to overload your add on folders to start and kinda of add them as you get wiser and richer,that what i did this time around and made lots of credits with ease.
Again thanks to all who work on the game/oxp's cheers
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I've seen Rock Hermit Locator v1.3.3 mentioned in a couple posts here...where is that downloaded?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Switeck wrote:
I've seen Rock Hermit Locator v1.3.3 mentioned in a couple posts here...where is that downloaded?
It does not exist. I updated 1.3.1 to 1.3.2 to handle equipment the way Oolite 1.74 wants it. Somehow I increased the version number in the script twice as I just downloaded the latest version 1.3.2 and I noticed the script has version 1.3.3 and that is what you see in the logs.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hello biffa! :)

You're welcome! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch

Re: Rock Hermit Locator add on

Post by Eric Walch »

Oolite 1.75 seems to have a bug that makes that some one-shot timers do fire two times. A_C is working hard to fix this bug for the 1.75.1 update.

Effect of this bug is that the RHL is now adding its buoys twice at some systems. This bug shows itself only at some computer configurations. The bug can be avoided by selecting a different delay.

I just updated the Rock Hermit Locator to version 1.3.3. to address this problem

This version now needs Oolite 1.74 as minimum.

There is no need to update when you are not affected by the double added buoys.

When you are a trunk user, please don't update at all, but wait until it is fixed in trunk. That way we have a good conformation it is fixed on all systems.