Help needed with an account

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Help needed with an account

Post by hiran »

spara wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:49 pm
Thanks for all this, but still no real progress. I tried strace and ltrace and could not really identify anything useful from them. Command ldd just yields "not a dynamic executable". Command lsof then again was quite informative, but I could not identify anything useful from it. Hmm. This is sort of an interesting puzzle, but I'm not exactly sure how useful this is :D If the only thing not working is the manager, then there is a workaround, but then again, I'm quite annoyed of computer things not working :mrgreen:
Maybe the 'oolite' you found was a wrapper shellscript. Make sure you get the elf executable.

Code: Select all

hiran@silver:~$ ls -l GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/
total 11656
-rwxr-xr-x  1 hiran hiran 11915304 Mai 27 11:46 oolite
-rwxrwxr-x  1 hiran hiran     4963 Mai 27 21:56 oolite-update
-rwxrwxr-x  1 hiran hiran     2625 Mai 27 21:56 oolite-wrapper
drwxr-xr-x 14 hiran hiran     4096 Mai 27 11:46 Resources
hiran@silver:~$ 
Look at the huge file named 'oolite'. And ignore the small one found here:

Code: Select all

hiran@silver:~$ ls -l GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite
-rwxrwxr-x 1 hiran hiran 724 Mai 27 21:56 GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite
hiran@silver:~$
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Right :roll: I saw the wrapper and thought the oolite was the correct one. And in the console it was just a name :lol: I'll look at the other oolite and yes, I get about the same libs as with the lsof. Strace and ltrace were used with PID, not executable, so I think I got that right :mrgreen:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

spara wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:10 pm
Right :roll: I saw the wrapper and thought the oolite was the correct one. And in the console it was just a name :lol: I'll look at the other oolite and yes, I get about the same libs as with the lsof. Strace and ltrace were used with PID, not executable, so I think I got that right :mrgreen:
Totally understand the confusion: Oolite comes double wrapped.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Sort of got it 8)

I updated the debian stable installation in virtual machine to testing and the problem manifested there too.

The problem is probably some conflict between something in Debian Testing and libgnustep-base1.28 required. Why I'm assuming this? That NS error leads to gnustep and fulfilling that requirement does not go smoothly, since it must be dug from stable and that brings along some other dependency problems.

I don't have time to test stuff more right now, but anyway, in case someone stumbles on this, I would say that the current Linux distribution of pre-release version does not fully work with Debian testing because of libgnustep-base1.28 dependency. Works fine with Debian stable though.

edit: I did a bit more digging and noticed that 1.90 links to gnustepbase 1.20, which is bundled into the package and 1.91 links to 1.28, which is not bundled into the package, hence the error on missing lib. I added libgnustep-base.so.1.28 and libobjc.so.4 into the oolite-deps folder and the game starts. Alas, the manager still gives the error and does not work. I just don't really understand the inner workings enough to see what actually happens, when the user instructs the game to download a new oxz-list. The key to the problem is most likely there. Since this happens in Debian testing, I would be very surprised if it does not appear in other Debian based distros too given more time. Or maybe it's just a Debian thingy. Who knows. Fingers crossed.
MrFlibble
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by MrFlibble »

spara wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:40 am
The problem is probably some conflict between something in Debian Testing and libgnustep-base1.28 required. Why I'm assuming this? That NS error leads to gnustep and fulfilling that requirement does not go smoothly, since it must be dug from stable and that brings along some other dependency problems.
Good catch. libgnustep is a rare requirement, backwards compatibility lacking, perhaps the relevant version should be bundled as was the case with 1.90.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Just to summarise.

Which versions of Oolite are currently unproblematic?

AppleMac 1.90 has the wrong Expansions Manager download address and has issues with sound.
AppleMac 1.91 is inexistent

Windows 1.90 has the wrong download address?
Windows 1.91 works just fine?

Ubuntu 1.90 has the wrong download address?
Ubuntu 1.91 works just fine?

Debian 1.90 has the wrong download address and issues with horrendously complex gubbins?
Debian 1.91 has issues with agonizingly complicated gubbins?

Any others?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?