Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

GNN

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: GNN

Post by phkb »

Well, the other "or something" that could be done is sod the manual user selection on the F4 screen and just push the news update right in the players face as soon as they land. Can't miss it that way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: GNN

Post by Cholmondely »

I prefer the first (F4... "NewsFlash!!") to the second (flash on arrival). I prefer the newsflash when I want it and am ready to assimilate the information, rather than having it immediately ("hey presto!") passed through my eyes and straight into my brain without as much as an "if you so please"...

The second does not always work so well. There are a number of OXPs which already do this and they are not quite compatible with each other in terms of the immersion (docking fees/smugglers loaded with illegal goodies/...).

But that's my personal view - and I'm more than happy to defer to others with stronger views on the matter.

As a sidenote, this dumb pilot opened up the entrails of GNN and utterly failed to find anything to tweak. It's chock-full of all sorts of gubbins and there is no obvious F4 screen entry. It needs someone who knows how to look for it...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?