Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Replacing Constores with Griff Trade outposts@Griff and Doc

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Ark wrote:
A static screenshot that posted by me is the only thing that you have seen. Am i right?
Yes, you're right ... :oops: if there are problems with the animation, that's a more serious matter and needs to be sorted. If it's a question of adding an extra frame to the animation though then could the last frame just be repeated, giving the letters a longer time on-screen?
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Griff wrote:
just changing the number of frames in the shipdata.plist will break the animation i'm afraid, the shader will chop up the original image incorrectly and well end up with a quater of the next frame sqaushed into the current frame.
I do not detect anything wrong with the dancing robot (8 frames animation) and the Happy Frog (4 frames animation) and the only think I have done is to change the number of frames in the shader code inside the shipdata plist. Are you sure for that Griff?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i'm pretty sure it does, mind you i'm not near a pc with oolite at the moment to test, i'm sure i remember seeing odd stuff when i was making the drinking spaceman and it turned out to be the number of frames in the image and the number of frames specified in shipdata.plist not matching.
hmm, when you change the numbers in the shipdata.plist are you starting oolite with the shift key pressed down so it re-reads all the files in the oxp's again?
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Griff wrote:
hmm, when you change the numbers in the shipdata.plist are you starting oolite with the shift key pressed down so it re-reads all the files in the oxp's again?
Is that a question? :D
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Ark wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Ark's plan - and I agree - is minimal code changes between Constores. However, I don't mind that on occassion the text is the wrong way round - if anything it adds to the realism of the 'verts...
Well the only change in the code (in order to replace the drinking spaceman with happy frog) is to change the frames of the ad in shipdata.plist from 5 to 4. The fact that that ad has letters has nothing to do with code changes.

My main concern for the constores is to be different but at the same time similar so I wanted to put on the roof things that are similar with the drinking spaceman like the dancing robot or the funky chicken.

Does anybody of you that have the wip tried to change the texture of the roof billboard in one set with the happy frog and also change the frames of the ad in shipdata plist from 5 to 4 so he can see it live (DO NOT FORGET THE SHIFT!!). A static screenshot that posted by me is the only thing that you have seen. Am i right?

But if everybody agrees that I should put the happy frog with letters (but apparently without first seeing it live on a constore) that is ok with me i will do it :wink:

As for the pacman made by pangloss is definitely out of the question to ask me put it on a constore unless pangloss first make that look like a neon billboard (no offence pangloss - sorry about that)
No offense taken. I'll work on that today!
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Like this, DH?

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Pangloss - yeh, pretty much, but I also meant with more contour following around the outside of the pacman outline - so it's not quite so squared and harsh.

It's definitely getting there... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
@Pangloss - yeh, pretty much, but I also meant with more contour following around the outside of the pacman outline - so it's not quite so squared and harsh.

It's definitely getting there... :wink:
You're just trying to get me to use up all my PhotoBucket bandwidth!

How's this one look?

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

You must be fed up of that flippin' pacman by now Pangloss, so i very cautiously offer a small crit (please dont bite through your mouse cable in fury :D ), it just that pacman looks like he's covered in soot or something, hmm, could you place an yellow or orange colour or something in the beneath him to fill in the black areas on his face? and maybe a red layer to fill in his gloves?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
You must be fed up of that flippin' pacman by now Pangloss, so i very cautiously offer a small crit (please dont bite through your mouse cable in fury :D ), it just that pacman looks like he's covered in soot or something, hmm, could you place an yellow or orange colour or something in the beneath him to fill in the black areas on his face? and maybe a red layer to fill in his gloves?
That's my fault - I was trying to get Pangloss to think about making pacman less solid a bit more "glowly" - I'm open to suggestions of how we make the pacman more like a "proper" neon billboard. It's an excellent sign, seems a shame if we can't contextualise it (now there's a word and a half) to everybody's satisfaction
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I'm open to suggestions of how we make the pacman more like a "proper" neon billboard.
Away from the full body, and replace it with concentric yellow 'neon' rings.

Just an idea...
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Commander McLane wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I'm open to suggestions of how we make the pacman more like a "proper" neon billboard.
Away from the full body, and replace it with concentric yellow 'neon' rings.

Just an idea...
Thank you McLane Thank you!!!!!!!
Ahruman wrote:
One way to fix it would be to use pngcrush as follows:

Code: Select all

pngcrush -rem cHRM yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames.png yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames_fixed.png
In fact, you may as well remove any other colour management information while you’re at it:

Code: Select all

pngcrush -rem cHRM -rem gAMA -rem iCCP -rem sRGB yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames.png yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames_fixed.png
Protip: everyone distributing PNGs over the interlink should have pngcrush or OptiPNG installed, and should be using them on said PNGs. Heck, install both; last time I checked OptiPNG was slightly better at reducing PNG size, but it doesn’t have as many options (like -rem above).
Just for the record a simble open and save by windows paint will do the job
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Can I ask what the dimensions are for the new constore (trade outpost, whatever the thing's called)?

I've got an idea in the back of the hivemind for something to offer to add to it (as I've got just about enough graphical skill to draw breath) but it would depend on the station size. If the station is too small it would look weird.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

This is the beta version of the modified your ad here oxp. Also something is wrong with the glowads shader effects in my sytem. I am playing in simple shader mode and glowads sometimes do not glow. By rebuilding the cache the problem solved temporarily. So I want I feedback about this.

Edit: -Link removed by Ark-

The version is only for test purposes and the link will be functional for only 15 days.

Changes since the last wip:

1. Every station now has a deferent roof billboard

2. Corrected a bug in the shipdata plist that affected only mac users

3. I have put in set C the happy frog ad in the 1x1 billboard (the blue ouster that originally was in the wip has been moved to set E) and the roof billboard variation of the same ad to the mall wart constore.

Just for the record sets A, B & D are finished but I still believe that we must modify the roof billboard in set C especially now that we are using the almost same ad in the roof and in the 1X1 billboard of the station so if I am going to have a non letter version of that roof billboard I am going to change it (Griff hello!!!!)

Oh... and inside the texture folder of set C and D there is a HR version of the adring. If your system can cope with this just delete the original adring and rename those HR adrings from yah_set_X_griff_station_adring_HR to yah_set_X_griff_station_adring

Also this is the first wip for set_E
Edit: -Link removed by Ark-

Things in order to finsh set_E
1.A non shader version of the pacman adring done!!!
2.Err .. yes the pacman roof billboard pretty please!!! done!!!

@Thargoid: the station was created by Griff so I cannot answer to your question. Perhaps if you download the wip you will find the answer there :oops:
Last edited by Ark on Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Please, if someone has time to replace the body with concentric yellow rings, that's your project!

Here's what I have. Enough difference for it to be neon, but not enough for it to be dirty-looking. There is a very very slight glow to the yellow... it shows better on the red. I think it's harder to see on the lightness of the web page.

This reminds me of all the websites I've ever done, and I'll tell you why. I'd start off by telling people "here's the main design" and people would say "ah, but we need to use Times New Roman for the font."

And I'd say "that's alright, because all I need to do is change the CSS document and it'll change all the text. Because text is like that."

So then they'd get this idea into their head that EVERYTHING was just changing one piece of code. "We want the buttons slightly more rounded" woud mean I'd have to do all the buttons again (and I used to delight in having mouse-over, page-you're-on, and mouse-off versions).

One place wanted me to change the shade of green four times because it wasn't "hunter green". So I searched for Hunter green online, and showed them how there are a bazillion different shades of 'hunter green'. From that moment on, I started asking people to give me their colors in hexidecimal RGB and never had a problem since!