Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Griff wrote:
(the 'Cargo' and the 'this way up arrows' are fixed in the texture map and don't change)
"This way up arrows"? In Zero G? ;-)

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Not immediately obvious or relevant in 0g, so doubly needed when you apply accelleration! :)

PS: excellent stuff, as always! & as well as standardised bulk containers, I'm reminded of the various gas cylinders for portable heaters, they're somehow always different colours, while always containing the same grade butane...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

just had a thought, and i'll probably come back and implement this at some point: how about if i make some changes to player ship shaders to allow players to drop a 'player_decal.png' of their own choice into the oxp's texture folder and the shaders will use this as the decal for the players ship? good idea?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Very very good idea Griff.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Abso-freakin-lutely awesome idea! yes PLEASE!!! 8) :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

OK, i'll add it in for the remaining player flyable ships when it's their turn on the list and then come back and add it into the others after all the ships are done
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Griff wrote:
just had a thought, and i'll probably come back and implement this at some point: how about if i make some changes to player ship shaders to allow players to drop a 'player_decal.png' of their own choice into the oxp's texture folder and the shaders will use this as the decal for the players ship? good idea?
Mmmm! Just thinking I could then use my band logo as the decal, and then make some screenies for the band website!! Cool! :wink:

Seriously love the idea!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nice one Griff - and thanks (for later)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

oo, what's the band website JazHaz?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Griff wrote:
oo, what's the band website JazHaz?
My marching band, the Enfield District Scout Band.

I maintain the website, and also play bass drum...! :)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Seriously, decals on ships would be great!

Imagine, your country's flag used as a decal, or an organisation's logo. In game this could be good for creating OXP mission ships with a decal for a pirate organisation, or a GalCop logo. The possibilities are endless!

Or even you could sell the space for advertisers....? Another income stream for commanders....! :lol:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

to (perhaps) veer off on this decal thing : could the decal be controlled by a script? i was thinking of simulating damage, eg. you could have a few scorch marks/knackered panel decals, and they would stay on the ship until you did a maintenance overhaul/repair.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

hmm, well there is a 'damage' shader binding available
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Shader ... :_uniforms

Code: Select all

damage  int  energy expressed as a percentage of maxEnergy 
I've no idea if it could be used to control the mixing in of a 'damage' texture map though - from that description it also sounds as if the damage level would decrease back to 0 as the ships energy climbed back up to full power making it look like the ship was repairing itself - and it that case i think the 'energy' binding would work better

energy  float  The current energy level of the entity.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Griff wrote:
hmm, well there is a 'damage' shader binding available
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Shader ... :_uniforms

damage  int  energy expressed as a percentage of maxEnergy 
I've no idea if it could be used to control the mixing in of a 'damage' texture map though - from that description it also sounds as if the damage level would decrease back to 0 as the ships energy climbed back up to full power making it look like the ship was repairing itself - and it that case i think the 'energy' binding would work better

energy  float  The current energy level of the entity.
You could use it to clutter the diffuse texture map, by subtracting values from the rgb pixels to make the effect of it being scourged, and turn it towards black or yellowish(burn)

[Frame rambles]

However, I have always thought of ship hulls as being a pressure hull only and that the energy was a sort of forcefield secondary shield...
and once you had that down, The next shot would penetrate the hull, and vaporize anything it hits instantly... you could presume a spaceship was full of flammable things, that would ignite instantly when struck by a laser.. (and also explain why the heat shield acts as no additional armor), and that the pulse laser could blow up a ship in 1 shot..

maybe a flickering across the hull, as the energy Regenerates, as far as i know energy is not subtracted from NPCs when they fire their ECM or Laser. ofcourse the player needs special handling... for him we can check the shields instead.

[/ramble off]

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Could be done in 3d with a gigantic amount of subentities, start with a chassis and then add every single concieveable part of a ship as a subentity :P (eg a subentity for every single plate of armor)

Or is there a limit to the amount of subentities that a ship can have? (Besides computing/graphical power)

It's actually something I considered doing a little while back, I think I've still got a cobra3 lying around somewhere in like 20 pieces.