Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Diziet Sma, Griff;

The "Ships Included" list at that download site needs to be updated.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The list was updated at the same time that I uploaded the new oxp pack. I don't list minor variants of ship types, but the main types are all there..

Adder
Anaconda
Cobra Mk1
Cobra Mk3
Coriolis Station
Escape Capsule
Fer-de-lance
Krait
Moray Starboat
Python
Sidewinder
Thargoid & Tharglet
Viper
Worm

If this is not the same as the list you see, maybe your browser cache needs clearing..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Griff wrote:
yep, it works OK with Oolite 1.73.4, the oxp doesn't overwrite any of the ships on the title screen, you'll still get the default cobra III, coriolis etc showing up on there, but after these have all scrolled by the griff ships should show up - BTW, you can move forwards/backwards quickly through the ships by pressing the left and right cursor keys on the keyboard
trying pressing the left arrow when you see the coriolis after you say N to loading a new commander on the title screen, you should see the griff worm show up (unless you have other oxp ships loaded) or try having a look in the ship yard (press 3 twice when docked at a main station) there's usually a one of these ships for sale if you have the oxp installed
I took the OXP "for a spin" this morning. Followed the intructions exactly. (start / SHIFT).

The new ships looked GREAT in the game! I didn't see that many (I was just "trying out" the OXP until more ships / stations are done)... Galcops of course, I saw a Moray and a couple of big cargo ships.

MY Cobra Mk III wasn't retextured... I had sungs_detailed_textures installed, so I temporarily removed it and restarted with SHIFT. So now my Cobra Mk III was back to the "Vanilla Oolite" appearance. I take it from the quote, though, that the OXP doesn't *replace* any *existing* ships (I.E. the player's current ship...). I started a new game in Lave, and the Cobra Mk III was vanilla. So you would have to "find" a normalmapped ship in the shipyard and buy it?

In the new game I started, Lave didn't have any of the normalmapped ships - just the vanilla ones, although I could see NPC normalmapped ships. From my current game, Ararus didn't have ANY ships (that's usual though), Ensoreus only had vanilla ships ( a little suprising)... maybe that was just "luck of the draw"... ALL of the NPC ships that I saw were normalmapped.

Is there a way to configure the OXP to simply REPLACE the ships? Rather than trying to find the normalmapped ones in the shipyard...

... and can this work for the player's CURRENT ship?

Another question (just in case); are the ship stats the same as vanilla Oolite? JUST the appearance is changed, right?

- Thanks
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

JeffBTX wrote:
Is there a way to configure the OXP to simply REPLACE the ships? Rather than trying to find the normalmapped ones in the shipyard...

... and can this work for the player's CURRENT ship?
As far as I know there is a way, mentioned somewhere in this thread even, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now. If you want to replace your ship in the meantime, edit your savegame and change the ship from cobra3-player to griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

there's a save game of a new Jameson at Lave piloting a griff cobra III linked in this post here
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... &start=129

Yeah, the oxp won't change the ships on the title screen but it will add them in amonst all your other oxp ships after the default set have all paraded by.
Hmm, i'm not sure why you're not finding them in the shipyard, i wonder if i've done something wrong with the 'shipyard-overrrides.plist' file in the latest update, it's this file inside the griff normal mapped ships oxp that's supposed to give the default set of ships a 0 chance of being available for sale, i'll give it a test and report back.

Yeah, the oxp is supposed to be purely cosmetic, all the ship stats are taken from the default ship set but i do often make copy and paste errors so if anybody spots something odd let me know and i'll get it changed (Eric's been really helpfull at fixing a lot of these bugs for me already, cheers mate!)

edit:
aargh there is

Code: Select all

[plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse ../AddOns/griff_normalmapped_ships.oxp/Config/shipyard.plist as a property list.
Parse failed at line 359 (char 8073) - unexpected character (wanted ';' or '}')
sorry about that, i'll get it fixed, this is what's knackering the shipyard
edit: ah, there's a missig semicolon on line 356, at the moment its } and it should be }; looks like i was careless pasting in the moray ship definition.
I've uploaded a fixed shipyard file here
http://www.box.net/shared/oylo46nd5t
overwrite the one in the config folder in griff all-in-1 oxp with this version, then restart oolite whilst holding down shift
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Griff, Corny;

Thanks for the reply,

Sorry I missed it before... the thread started before I even discovered Oolite, and when you wade through 30+ pages in a thread, it is easy to
miss something.

Anyway... I fully understand now, and thanks.

I copied / pasted various snippits of posts, and have saved this info in a .TXT file where I keep notes on OXPs.

Keep up the good work, and thanks very much for creating and developing this!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
aargh there is

Code: Select all

[plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse ../AddOns/griff_normalmapped_ships.oxp/Config/shipyard.plist as a property list.
Parse failed at line 359 (char 8073) - unexpected character (wanted ';' or '}')
sorry about that, i'll get it fixed, this is what's knackering the shipyard
edit: ah, there's a missig semicolon on line 356, at the moment its } and it should be }; looks like i was careless pasting in the moray ship definition.
I've uploaded a fixed shipyard file here
http://www.box.net/shared/oylo46nd5t
overwrite the one in the config folder in griff all-in-1 oxp with this version, then restart oolite whilst holding down shift
A fixed version of the all-in-one.oxp has now been uploaded to the website.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Added an 'Orbital Shuttle' remake
and a barrel remake
hmm, the paint stripe on the barrel is randomly coloured when in full shader mode (the 'Cargo' and the 'this way up arrows' are fixed in the texture map and don't change). do you think this might cause new players problems? eg. they might assume the paint colours indicate what's inside the barrels?
edit: oo-er, just noticed a horrible' bumps become dips' error in the normal map on that barrel screen shot, it's on the thin beveled edge angled closest to the camera
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

8)

Fantastic, Griff! I'm sure players will assume that coloured stripes are an indicator of content. Let 'em, is my advice: they can have fun finding out otherwise. ;) Anyway, these things are the equivalent of the big steel containers that go from cargo ship to train to artic lorry: they're blue, and red, and green, and grey, and so forth, but nobody thinks that has any bearing as to what's inside.

One comment about the shuttle: it seems quite clean and shiny (although I can't see the underside, and anyway maybe it's a new one). Maybe it should be a bit more scuffed and/or scorched around the leading edges?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Thanks Griff... just got them.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Looks good, Griff, well done!

Can I suggest that perhaps the next ones to work on are the Dodo and Ico stations? If they looked as good as the Cori stations, it would be great!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

that's a good point about weathering the shuttle texture a bit more, i recycled a lot of the escape capsule texture into it without really thinking too much about what the shuttle texture should actually look like other than that i wanted it to be mundane and a bit black & white like the NASA shuttles (and space rockets in general)
here's a screengrab of it without shaders where it's a bit easier to see the whole object ( i've got no idea how to place the light in the rendermonkey program i use to take the shaderified screen shots in)

I thought i'd do the transporter next since it's sort of related to the shuttle and i can re-use the textures and shaders :D
to be honest i really hate doing the large scale objects, not really looking forward to doing the stations or the boas :)

edit:
added in an set of beaten-up shuttle textures
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

As ever Griff - very sweet! I like the idea of both a mixture of new and old textures - ships have to be new at some point don't they?!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

fantastic :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

As always, excellent stuff, Griff! I'm looking forward to seeing them in the all-in-one pack once you get the bugs squished... :D