Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

yep, it works OK with Oolite 1.73.4, the oxp doesn't overwrite any of the ships on the title screen, you'll still get the default cobra III, coriolis etc showing up on there, but after these have all scrolled by the griff ships should show up - BTW, you can move forwards/backwards quickly through the ships by pressing the left and right cursor keys on the keyboard
trying pressing the left arrow when you see the coriolis after you say N to loading a new commander on the title screen, you should see the griff worm show up (unless you have other oxp ships loaded) or try having a look in the ship yard (press 3 twice when docked at a main station) there's usually a one of these ships for sale if you have the oxp installed
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Kinda off topic, but is there a limit to how many decals you can have on a ship? Was thinking of creating a random serial number generator for ships where ships could have numbers on them similar to Frontier/FFE (Letter Letter dash Number Number Number)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

ADCK wrote:
Kinda off topic, but is there a limit to how many decals you can have on a ship? Was thinking of creating a random serial number generator for ships where ships could have numbers on them similar to Frontier/FFE (Letter Letter dash Number Number Number)
Not as such. If you go overboard, your shader will become slower, and you may hit limitations of graphics cards (number of instructions per shader, number of active textures).

Also, you only get one pseudo-random number per ship, and most graphics cards aren’t good at the sort of integer maths that’s best suited to manipulating it to get more.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Just a bit of news for you Griff... it has now been just over 3 months since the all-in-one oxp was released, and in that time it has been downloaded 348 times!! This afternoon I'll have my latest weekly report, and if recent trends are anything to go by, I'd expect that figure to increase to about 375 or more.

Also, with regard to the way you keep referring to it as "Dizzy's all-in-1 oxp", I'd just like to say that I feel both chuffed and utterly unworthy that my name has somehow come to be associated with the Griff all-in-1 oxp! All I did is provide a bit of server space, which I have plenty of.. and around the same time as the all-in-1 package began, my hosting company stopped charging for excess bandwidth, so my contribution is severely minimal..

But thanks all the same, it's nice to have even this tiny connection to such an awesome oxp!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

With my new Wiki account, I have today created a page for Griff's Wiki profile, with a link to the Dizzy account.

I intend to create a proper OXP page for it though, unless anyone else wants to have a go... Griff, you ok with that?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

please do! i'm really wiki-phobic and wouldn't have much idea of how to go about sorting out a page for the oxp so if you can come up with something that would be great :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The latest report is now in, and the current total number of downloads of the Griff_Normalmapped_Ships.oxp is 396! :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
The latest report is now in, and the current total number of downloads of the Griff_Normalmapped_Ships.oxp is 396! :D
I'm only not on that list because I downloaded the ships individually as they came out...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Griff wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
With my new Wiki account, I have today created a page for Griff's Wiki profile, with a link to the Dizzy account.

I intend to create a proper OXP page for it though, unless anyone else wants to have a go... Griff, you ok with that?
please do! i'm really wiki-phobic and wouldn't have much idea of how to go about sorting out a page for the oxp so if you can come up with something that would be great :)
One problem is that we currently can't show the graphics, but hopefully I can get that sorted with Winston's help.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
I'm only not on that list because I downloaded the ships individually as they came out...
And i've downloaded it at least 3 times :D
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

ADCK wrote:
This isn't quite what you're after but a few days ago somewhere on the boards Another_Commander demoed a small script that generated random ship registration plates and displayed them on the screen near the players crosshair, when i find the post again i'll edit this and put up the link
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
Griff wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
One problem is that we currently can't show the graphics, but hopefully I can get that sorted with Winston's help.
I have started a Griff Industries Wiki page, here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Griff_Industries
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Griff wrote:
This isn't quite what you're after but a few days ago somewhere on the boards Another_Commander demoed a small script that generated random ship registration plates and displayed them on the screen near the players crosshair, when i find the post again i'll edit this and put up the link
This demo can be downloaded from here. Note that it requires trunk to run, it will not work as expected on 1.73.4, which is why it has not been officially released yet.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ah cool, thats what i was after now that actual visual numbers didn't seem feasable.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The updated Griff's all-in-1.oxp with Escape Capsule and Moray Starboat is now available to download via the link back on page one. :D