Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Release: Auto-Chaff System

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
I rigged the script to forcefully reset the counters to 25 when the ACS or a reload is bought, and set the counters to 0 when the ACS is sold.
Try selling and re-buying the ACS, or buying a reload, and see if that makes the null bug go away.
I couldn't buy a reload, for some reason the reload doesn't appear in my Ship Outfitting screen:
Do you have to use all 25 packages before reloading comes available?

So I tried the latter, selling and rebuying the ACS. And that worked.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

JazHaz wrote:
I couldn't buy a reload, for some reason the reload doesn't appear in my Ship Outfitting screen:
That was another symptom of the bug, which should've righted itself for you now.
JazHaz wrote:
Nope. As long as there's less than 25 chaffbombs in the magazine and you're docked on a TL5+ station, then you'll be offered a reload.
JazHaz wrote:
So I tried the latter, selling and rebuying the ACS. And that worked.
Awesome. :)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
That was another symptom of the bug, which should've righted itself for you now.
JazHaz wrote:
Nope. As long as there's less than 25 chaffbombs in the magazine and you're docked on a TL5+ station, then you'll be offered a reload.
After installing the new version, I think it still is not offering the reload option. Can't check now, will have to wait until tomorrow evening at the earliest. Will let you know.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

If you have less than 25 in the magazine (check the count on the F5-F5 screen), then you should see "ACS chaff refill" in the equipment store.

If that doesn't seem to be happening, then we'll take more drastic measures.
I have the idea that something could be borked in your savefile, but hopefully surgery there won't be needed. I'm keeping the fingers crossed...
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
If you have less than 25 in the magazine (check the count on the F5-F5 screen), then you should see "ACS chaff refill" in the equipment store.

I have the idea that something could be borked in your savefile, but hopefully surgery there won't be needed. I'm keeping the fingers crossed...
Right, see the following screenshots, which I've just taken. The mission screen confirms I have less than 25 in the magazine (23 actualy). Am docked at a tech level 11 world, and the Ship Outfitting (equipment screen) doesn't show a ACS Chaff Refill, only a Remove ACS entry.

Image Image
(click on the images to view in FlickR)

EDIT: thats weird, the mission screen DID include the magazine count, but I switched to another view and then came back to take the screenshot and I have just noticed that the mission screen no longer shows it!! Very strange!!!

EDIT2: Just reloaded Oolite to check this. The mission screen shows the ACS count on first load of my save game, then if I switch away and reselect the screen it disappears off. Possibly because I have too many lines showing on it? Tried it without Display Reputation OXP to remove 2 of the lines, but it is still happening!????
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

JazHaz wrote:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:

Right, see the following screenshots, which I've just taken. The mission screen confirms I have less than 25 in the magazine (23 actualy). Am docked at a tech level 11 world, and the Ship Outfitting (equipment screen) doesn't show a ACS Chaff Refill, only a Remove ACS entry.

Image Image
(click on the images to view in FlickR)

EDIT: thats weird, the mission screen DID include the magazine count, but I switched to another view and then came back to take the screenshot and I have just noticed that the mission screen no longer shows it!! Very strange!!!

EDIT2: Just reloaded Oolite to check this. The mission screen shows the ACS count on first load of my save game, then if I switch away and reselect the screen it disappears off. Possibly because I have too many lines showing on it? Tried it without Display Reputation OXP to remove 2 of the lines, but it is still happening!????
Wow, that's just wacked. :? :shock: I cannot reproduce this at my end. But, I do suspect it's an aftereffect of the null bug.

I tested my changes on a savefile that had all references to "acs" and "chaff" carefully but completely removed. Each time I made a change, I would shift-key restart the game and buy the ACS, and watch what happened. The last fix eliminated all traces of the null bug at my end.

So, we're going to do the same for you; the virgin savefile, that is. Strap in, this is going to be a bit destructive.

First, fire up Oolite, load your save, and sell the ACS. Sell any other chaff-based devices if you have them, as well. Save with overwrite after that.

Now open your savefile in a text editor. Run a find for "acs" and "chaff". Delete every acs and chaff key the search finds. Save the file when it's clean and find can't locate any more "chaff" and "acs" keys.

We're done! When you load that save into Oolite, you should be able to buy an ACS and see everything work as designed. :)
...I hope!
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

As my 1.74 updates are a little delayed by the mission script trunk glitch I'll also download and try it tonight and see if I can reproduce the problem. As my save files will be more similar to JazHaz's then perhaps this can be sorted.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
We're done! When you load that save into Oolite, you should be able to buy an ACS and see everything work as designed. :)
It worked!

Can report that I have just bought a refill too, all appeared fine.

I can also report that the ACS just saved my life! :D I encountered a hijacked Leviathan System Platform, and the ACS shot off 10 chaff rounds to save me from loads of hardheaded missiles that were shot at me all at once lol. See this thread.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I had a similar encounter the other day. A large gang of pirates ambushed me, and there were at least two Dragons in the mix. The rogues were keen on trying to torpedo me with nukes and hardheads. The ACS just about emptied the magazine in belaying those deathdarts.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

This sounds like a very cool OXP - I got spaced three times last night after finishing off a bad guy seconds after he launched a missile I hadn't noticed. Smug satisfaction to "wtf? oh no not again" in 5 seconds.

However I cannot find the Missile Analyser OXP it requires - the Google cache just doesn't have it and I can't find a thread for it in the forums.

Can anyone provide a direct download please?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

Ta muchly :D
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Have created a wiki page for the ACS System.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

ACS (1.2) seems to dispense chaff even when it has run out

Post by UK_Eliter »

Not that I am complaining that much . . I am using the latest testbuild of Oolite (but not the trunk version).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ACS (1.2) seems to dispense chaff even when it has run o

Post by JazHaz »

UK_Eliter wrote:
ACS (1.2) seems to dispense chaff even when it has run out

Not that I am complaining that much . . I am using the latest testbuild of Oolite (but not the trunk version).
Are you sure it has run out? Is it possible that there is chaff inside the launcher and the reloads are kept separately?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.