Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

More comprehensive ship data

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i believe the Navy would have such a device. even a rough guide, although inaccurate to whatever degree, would probably be useful in a mass dog fight ~ if you cycle through your targets it would make sense to go for the one weakest and allow you to stack the odds in your favour a lot quicker.

the whole "listing what equipment a ship has" thing started off in Frontier, i think. i can kinda see the point of it, in that it could be used as a deterrent for pirates/opportunistic murderers in that if they lock your ship up and it says you have a NEU, full missiles a Q bomb etc etc etc then there's a chance they'll move on to some other target.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i believe the Navy would have such a device. even a rough guide, although inaccurate to whatever degree, would probably be useful in a mass dog fight ~ if you cycle through your targets it would make sense to go for the one weakest and allow you to stack the odds in your favour a lot quicker.

the whole "listing what equipment a ship has" thing started off in Frontier, i think. i can kinda see the point of it, in that it could be used as a deterrent for pirates/opportunistic murderers in that if they lock your ship up and it says you have a NEU, full missiles a Q bomb etc etc etc then there's a chance they'll move on to some other target.
Alternatively, there could be a good market in "signal generators" that falsely created the signals of a boosted ship to deter pirates - of course - NPC AI couldn't cope with this in its current form anyway, so while it makes for a good background story, its a bit moot otherwise.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

ah, yeah! McLane's hackers could provide one of those but as you say unless the AI checked and made a decision it's a bit moot.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

There are sufficient graphical cues in game already as to the condition of a target vessel and most experienced pilots can guess what condition their target will be in after a certain amount of damage has been inflicted.

I don't think anything else is needed.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Quite so. In flight damage data is not required.

More information when buying a ship (which was the initial suggestion) is a nice to have.