Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How do I turn off the MASC"M?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

wackyman465 wrote:
anti docking computer
..well I'm not pro- or anti- anything, really, but enjoy Oolite in all its guises: trader, pirate, bootlegger etc.

As regards docking computers, I rarely get to use them cos I'm usually loaded up with narcotics :D but do greatly appreciate SHIFT-D when it is available!
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Although D adds 20 minutes to the game clock.. bad for shipping!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

:shock: o.m.g. i dont visit stations at all when on a contract!

..don't use cascade missiles, either, only coz they hardly ever reach their target before something else happens -- and at 10,000 a pop a trader ship is mandated to pay for the things; anti thargoid missiles = similar performance: it's quicker just to shoot them (but this is wholly due to my imprecision; ought to practise the modus operandi one day..)
Maybe you'd also like to torus to other systems instead of witchspace too?
Yes, we tried this a number of times on a BBC, leaving it running overnight -- it doesn't work. Perhaps if a pointer as to direction were available at systems 0.0LY apart (e.g.ESUSALE/CECEES-galaxy8) it wouldn't be too different from visiting a gas giant?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

On the C64 I managed to get trapped in Witchspace after a mis-jump with not quite enough fuel to make it to next system - anyway left it running overnight and in the morning I had moved! (and better yet it was towards where I wanted to be) - I left it another day and then made the jump...

(I don't think I randomly guessed the right direction I think the game just ran the maths of me travelling along the same vector between the two systems I intended to jump between anyway...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Chaky
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Chaky »

Same thing hapened to me on my C64.
I think that I got around it by ejecting with my escape pod....
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
As does the military missile when I fire it at anything.
Really? Then that's a bug that shouldn't be there. The military missile is one of the few warheads that has accuracy, and as such isn't supposed to circle.
In the oxp it came in, it doesn't circle, instead it almost always direct hits.

Also, if it doesn't chase after a new target when ECM'd, then you have a flawed version. (It prefers Thargoids and pirates, and should pursue the closest when ECM'd.)

I would know, I load that ordinance exclusively on my missile slots, and I'm very familiar with it's characteristics. From the missile's oxp, mind, I don't have rs/ose.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I just use a stardar falcoun delacy hardhead, and, in special cases, the overkill/cascade missile (like the end of military fiasco... Too lazy to fight an entire fleet of rattlers)k
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Zbond-Zbond wrote:
As does the military missile when I fire it at anything.
From the missile's oxp, mind, I don't have rs/ose.
Zbond-Zbond, I would also be interested if the missile behaviour you observed stems from the original oxp or RS/OSE and if the latter, which version - this would be a most unwanted bug that should be corrected soon!

Can you tell us, please? :)

L
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Sounds like the old problem of missiles not leading the target. This was "fixed" by making oolite consider the missile accuracy property (I think it was accuracy, anyone remember?). Setting it to 10 makes the missiles hit the target, setting to 0 causes the old spiralling useless intercept logic, a number in between makes missiles intermediate in their ability to hit a barn door.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

This is the OXP version

milmissile.oxp

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>military-missile</key>
<dict>
<key>accuracy</key>
<integer>10</integer>

I tried it again, it doesn't so much spiral, as adopt a serpentine trajectory.

I fired 2 at a Shield tail after it hyperspaced out from my 1st assault (as a fugitive) - I followed it (it was offender after the jump).

The 4th missile hit a BoaCC (clean), eventually, not killing it -- so I shot it.

Didn't get to use ECM, though (except on Boa, which had no effect; the Boa was "clean").
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

And I am using this accuracy thing for OSE (span between +4 - homemade missile - and +10 - photon torpedo/military missile), there actually are no RS missiles ...

In other words, Zbond-Zbond's observed missile behaviour must either stem from an original missile oxp or from an OSE beta, and if it is the latter I want to know this so that I can look what might be the problem.

Edit: Ah, it's not about RS/OSE after all. Still, in my game the accuracy for missiles seems to work as intended. So no idea about the endless circles missiles cause :(
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

I tried altering the accuracy to 5, to 0, and back to 10, but behaviour was the same.

The interception missile (intercept-missile, Missiles and Bombs v0.5.oxp), had no accuracy integer that I could see -- but I could've been looking in the wrong place -- but it is the most accurate. Std hardhead also good.

But if others find the military missile OK, it might just be something to do with my computer? rather than the OXP.
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

This is the official "Press shift during Oolite startup" reminder. :idea:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

This is the official "and hold shift down until the spinning Cobra Mk III appears" reminder... :idea: :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
This is the official "and hold shift down until the spinning Cobra Mk III appears" reminder... :idea: :mrgreen:
And in future this will be called:

This is the official "and hold shift down until shipData... is loading" reminder...

1.73 writes on-screen during startup "...." until it has detected the cache status. After that (half a second on my computer) it shows "loading shipData...", from that moment on I can release the shift already.