Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Problems compiling from Source

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

well, as I said before, I can't compile without getting an error message.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Looking back at your messages, it seems that compilation is failing before an executable is generated, but then your remark about the v(nil) message would indicate that compilation is completing but with errors. Does compilation abort, or complete but with a broken executable?

Also, are you using XP or Vista, 32 or 64 bit?

The discussion above about DTDs are post-compilation steps, btw, your remarks about making an oolite.app folder seem to suggest you're copying them to the folder before compilation. Could you clarify this for me please?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

I am using 32-bit Vista. I am not really sure if the compilation aborts, but I think it does. It compiles a few files then comes up with the error message, then the whole thing ends.

When I made the oolite.app folder, I created a new folder in /Local/oolite/trunk named oolite.app. I then copy the resources folder in /Local/oolite/trunk, and paste it into the oolite.app folder. I then went to my 1.72.2 oolite.app folder and copy the dll files into the oolite.app folder. Then I go into /Local/oolite/bin (or was it /Local/bin?) and paste all dll files in there in to the oolite.app folder. I overwrite anyfiles with the same name. I then type openapp ./oolite.app and I get the blank window with v(nil).
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cows wrote:
When I made the oolite.app folder, I created a new folder in /Local/oolite/trunk named oolite.app. I then copy the resources folder in /Local/oolite/trunk, and paste it into the oolite.app folder. I then went to my 1.72.2 oolite.app folder and copy the dll files into the oolite.app folder. Then I go into /Local/oolite/bin (or was it /Local/bin?) and paste all dll files in there in to the oolite.app folder. I overwrite anyfiles with the same name. I then type openapp ./oolite.app and I get the blank window with v(nil).
Ok.. none of the above should be necessary, and what it looks like is happening is that your compilation is aborting before an executable file is created. Thus what you end up with is a self-made oolite.app folder with some resources and dll's, but no executable, which is the core of the game itself. Hence the blank window when you use GNUstep (openapp ./oolite.app) to run the game... there is no program to run.

I don't know enough to be able to identify the types of errors that are being reported when you compile, and unfortunately I need to leave now for an appointment, (cause I'd love to try to track it down) but be patient and somebody else should be online before too long who can help further with this.

Best of luck!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Cows wrote:
Whenever I compile I get this error message:

0 [main] sh 6240 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to sh.exe.stackdump
/bin/sh: line 2: 6240 segmentation <core dumped> < echo '' Compiling file src/Core/OOdebugGLDrawing.m ...''; gcc src/Core/OODebugGLDrawing.m -c -MMD -MP -DGNUSTEP -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_GUI_LIBRARY=1 =DGNU_RUNTIME=1 -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_WITH_DL -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE -Wno-import -g -02 -fno-strict-aliasing -fgnu-runtime -DLOADSAVEGUI -DWIN32 -DXP_WIN -Wno-import `sd1-config --cflags` -DALLOW_PROCEDURAL_PLANETS -DDOCKING_CLEARANCE_ENABLED -DWORMHOLE_SCANNER -DTARGET_INCOMING_MISSILES -fconstant-string-class=NSConstantString -Ideps/Windows-x86-deps/include -Isrc/SDL -Isrc/Core -Isrc/BSDCompat -Isrc/Core/Scripting -Isrc/Core/Materials -Isrc/Core/Entities -Isrc/Core/OXPVerifier -Isrc/Core/Debug -I. I/home/JOnathan/Gnustep/Library/Headers -I/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers -I/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers -o obj/OODebugGLDrawing.m.o >
make[1]: *** [obj/OODebugGLDrawing.m.o] Error 139
make: *** [oolite.all.objc-program.variables] Error 2

What did I do wrong?
I followed the steps from the Wiki http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Runnin ... rom_source steps 1-10, added the path for the compiler and it worked ok.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Cows, it looks like you have done things that are not specifically mentioned in the instructions. You must follow each instruction very closely and you must download and use the exact versions of software mentioned for the build to be done without problems. From your build command, I see plenty of options passed to the compiler that don't seem to belong anywhere (like -fgnu-runtime, -DGSWARN, -DGSDIAGNOSE, -DGNU_WITH_DL and others) and I am not sure how you tried to do it.

I would recommend trying to build the source following the much simpler instructions found in the sticky thread at the top of this subforum, assuming that your computer can see a D: drive.
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

another_commander wrote:
I would recommend trying to build the source following the much simpler instructions found in the sticky thread at the top of this subforum, assuming that your computer can see a D: drive.
And if you don't have a D: drive?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Then you can try changing an existing drive's letter to D: (NOT the boot drive's letter).

If you cannot do that, then you can only use the wiki information, of course.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Is it worth creating a virtual D: drive, say using truecrypt and mounting a volume as D just for the purposes of getting the build to work?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

that's a clever idea, on a pc i wonder if the command prompt 'subst' command would work?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subst

eg, subst D: C:\myoolitefolder
would make the C:\myoolitefolder folder appear as drive D: in the 'my computer' list. subst D: /d removes it again

edit: it does seem to work, i tested it on a pc in work today. After the build process is done, you can even un subst the 'D' drive and oolite still runs fine from it's folder.
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Thanks, Griff.