Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

PC Joystick (Sorry)

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Logitech Rumblepad 2

Post by Gimi »

Gimi wrote:
Got one of these and wondered if anyone has tried to make a profile for Oolite in Logitech profiler. I know I can edit the keyconfig.plist, but I want to leave that alone for now while I test it. I also want to have the option to use keyb and mouse when I don't have the rumblepad available. So, if anyone has made a profile for the rumblepad that works with Oolite, I am being bold and asking if I could have a copy (export).

Now, I know many of you would advocate a joystick, but a mostly play when I am travelling, and packing a joystick is just too much.
Never mind. I used the setup Cmdr Wyvern has made for his Cyborg, and made a similar setup using internal Oolite joystick configuration and the Logitech profiler. Cmdr Wyvern, I see that you have used different sticks for roll and pitch. Does this mean that you primarily fly with yaw and pitch. Having played Elite in the old days, I am a roll and pitch person. (I will test both though)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Gimi wrote:
Never mind. I used the setup Cmdr Wyvern has made for his Cyborg, and made a similar setup using internal Oolite joystick configuration and the Logitech profiler. Cmdr Wyvern, I see that you have used different sticks for roll and pitch. Does this mean that you primarily fly with yaw and pitch. Having played Elite in the old days, I am a roll and pitch person. (I will test both though)
That's correct.

Since I got ahold of an X52, yaw and pitch are on the stick, and roll is on the twist axis. Thrust is the throttle, of course.

I believe that B&B used the roll/pitch only model only because of the limitations of 80's area equipment. 4-axis joysticks didn't exist. If the hardware were up to it, I'm sure they would've supported full control.
Now that the hardware capabilities are there, why not abandon the limited flight interface and go with full control.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
That's correct.

Since I got ahold of an X52, yaw and pitch are on the stick, and roll is on the twist axis. Thrust is the throttle, of course.

I believe that B&B used the roll/pitch only model only because of the limitations of 80's area equipment. 4-axis joysticks didn't exist. If the hardware were up to it, I'm sure they would've supported full control.
Now that the hardware capabilities are there, why not abandon the limited flight interface and go with full control.
Ok, I find myself using yaw more and more, but roll and pitch is still the main control I use. Have roll and pitch on right stick and thrust and yaw on the right stick. (Yaw is really good for docking).

A quick question.
Using the left stick for thrust works fine, but how did you make it send an "I" when pushed all the way for injectors. (maybe it is similar to Logitech).
Same question goes for the "J" in navigation mode.

Code: Select all

Combat mode controls:
Left stick Y = * Pushed all the way up engages injectors
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Gimi wrote:
A quick question.
Using the left stick for thrust works fine, but how did you make it send an "I" when pushed all the way for injectors. (maybe it is similar to Logitech).
Same question goes for the "J" in navigation mode.

Code: Select all

Combat mode controls:
Left stick Y = * Pushed all the way up engages injectors
Saitek's controller programming software allows an axis to be 'banded', and used to send keypresses to the game. Logitech's software may or may not allow the same functionality, I'm not sure.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Using a Logoc 3 Starfighter, on USB I can't assign views or anything else to the hat switch, equally plugging in an Xbox 360 pad will see the D-pad not be configurable, nor the bumpers.

Any solutions for this or is the range of configurable controls limited to what I can access now?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The solution will be coming in v1.73, where hat is fully supported.
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Excellent :)

Looks like this and my purple squars will be sorted in the next version from what I've now read... I'm not holding my breath for key redefining in-game though!

Is there somewhere the expected changes in 1.73 are listed? searching the forum for it turns up nothing.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Governmentyard wrote:
Is there somewhere the expected changes in 1.73 are listed? searching the forum for it turns up nothing.
We issue the changelogs when new releases are made. But rest assured there are a lot of changes and improvements for the next version.
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Good stuff, looking forward to it.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
Governmentyard wrote:
We issue the changelogs when new releases are made. But rest assured there are a lot of changes and improvements for the next version.
Have you got to the bottom of the showstopper re: scaling debris?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

No, but Kaks came up with a pretty neat way of "bypassing the side effects for now". The actual cause is still to be determined, but at least our lives can move on.
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Governmentyard wrote:
Believe me, force-feedback joysticks are annoying enough, if you can't switch it off (thanks, M$ for not supporting your own products properly!) - but that one obviously does not even have that, but a vibration function, which is surely even more annoying and useless.

Screet
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Force-feedback makes the stick less reliable overall, and few games support it anyway. Oolite has no force-feedback support.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

I wasn't referring to the FF, which I have no intention of using. It does however look like a lot of joystick for the money, anyone looking to get into Oolite without spending fifty quid on a controller could perhaps do worse, given that the majority of PC joysticks are shite and will degrade rapidly whether you pat twenty or thirty quid for them.

Now you've mentioned it though, there's no indication of whether the vibration can be turned off, so I'll need to confirm it can before I get one.