More details in this thread.

...And now they want the Oolite entry removed from Wikipedia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Democratisation in this context does not really mean anything about democracy. It would perhaps be better to view it as deregulation, or creation of a level playing field.

Wikipedia tries not to regulate itself through use of force (moderators approximately equal police), nor by direct democratic election, Possibly due to the vast number of people, and articles which would need to be co-ordinated. Instead they attempt to run on consensus of those who express an interest within a framework of rules.

Personally, I think the system sucks, but I cannot think of a better alternative. Look at citizendium or conservopedia, or even h2g2 to see other attempts to do wikipedia but differently.

This is off topic, but of course in most democratic (or republic based, for those of you who refuse to call western democracies democratic) nations, referenda are not held or each decision, but rather you get to vote once in a blue moon for some 2 faced liar^W^W^W guy in a suit, who does whatever he, his boss, or his God wants him to do in your name. So you could argue that wikipedia is more democratic than anything currently using the name :p
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
That doesn't seem logical, Captain.
Logic? LOGIC?!?!? I laugh in the face of your puny logic! I deride the concept of this 'logic' of whic you speak! PAH!!! A little logic is a dangerous thing.....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmdr James wrote:
This is off topic, but of course in most democratic (or republic based, for those of you who refuse to call western democracies democratic) nations,
’Scuse me? I live in a parliamentary democracy, not any steenking republic. Completely different. ;-)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Ahruman wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:
This is off topic, but of course in most democratic (or republic based, for those of you who refuse to call western democracies democratic) nations,
’Scuse me? I live in a parliamentary democracy, not any steenking republic. Completely different. ;-)
I dont recognise parliamentary democracy. If its not on the list then it doesnt exist :P
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

For the record, the resolution was keep.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Good!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here