Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Standard station textures

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

@ Griff Great artwork as always.

You can just rely on the system populater to add you station. If you just give it the role in shipdata:-

Code: Select all

roles = "coriolis station oolite-coriolis-station";
Then you don't need to do any scripting. Just adding this to the roles will mean that any player who installs your OXP will have half the Corolis stations replaced with yours! It won't be an extra station, its just the station. :wink:

If pangroove did the same with his artwork, then just by you both using the same role, a player who has the only the Griff Coriolis installed has half the stations replaced with the Griff model. But a player who installs both has 33% Griff stations, 33% pangroove and 33% normal. If 20 peeps put up different takes on the station, then a player with all installed gets 5% Griff, 5% pangroove and so on.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

fk me sideways Griff, how come you don't do this sorta stuff professionally? that's utterly gorgeous.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

And by the way:

roles = "coriolis station";
is sufficient. It's coriolis to put it in the pool and let it appear in the game, and station to make it behave like a station (and you could even substitute this with other shipdata-entries); oolite-coriolis-station is (I think) nowhere used.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Added some billboards to the station hull to try and stop it being so grey & drab:-

http://www.box.net/shared/usalnsfocc
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

OMG! It's the Las Vegas of Oolite! Brilliant work, Griff.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Influence D
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Influence D »

Hmmm - perhaps we could have both versions? I think this newer, more gaudy uh, flashy type should only appear in Corporate States...

Excellent, excellent work.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Was offline for some days :( due to problems with a very unstable connection at home. Griff. fantastic work!!!! Really a work of art. I write this mail from another location than my home. When I have a stable connection again I'm gonna check it out!

Greetings

P.A. Groove
Jeroen Arends
Rotterdam The Netherlands

Check also my myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/pagroovemusic
Last edited by pagroove on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yes, outstanding work! Still, I must admit my eyes tend to hurt a bit, staring at all those billboards....

Any chance to also get the previous, plain(er) version? The normal stations are simply drab in comparison.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

@ Kaks
You can get the version of the station without the billboards here.
http://www.box.net/shared/8h45uaps0o
I'm also going to do a version of the station without all the bevels & extra polygon stuff i added to the original model, it hasn't come out yet because i've got to tweak the texture a bit to get around some nasty seams visible when it's mapped on the low-poly model.

You're right, the ads do look a bit eye-popping, they were originally designed for the spacer bar which explains why all the ads have a booze/disco dancing related theme running through them! It did occur to me that all these ads would look out of place in unstable or communist systems, but i guess there's a way of generating different versions of the station depending on government type?
I dunno, maybe i've just been unlucky but every time i've tried testing out the station it always seems to orientate itself with the docking bay placed opposite the sun and in complete darkness, i'm stumped now for ideas on how to brighten it up, i'm quite fond of the hull mounted animated notice board idea, maybe i'll have another go at polishing that up a bit.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
And by the way:

roles = "coriolis station";
is sufficient. It's coriolis to put it in the pool and let it appear in the game, and station to make it behave like a station (and you could even substitute this with other shipdata-entries); oolite-coriolis-station is (I think) nowhere used.
Correct. The oolite-foo variants were added so that it would be possible to refer explicitly to the Oolite built-in version, if needed. As such, OXPs should never use a role starting with “oolite-”.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Influence D wrote:
Hmmm - perhaps we could have both versions? I think this newer, more gaudy uh, flashy type should only appear in Corporate States...
Griff wrote:
It did occur to me that all these ads would look out of place in unstable or communist systems, but i guess there's a way of generating different versions of the station depending on government type?
Keep in mind that the engine chooses the stations based on the TechLevel of the system. The Coriolis is the very basic station and is only found in low-TL systems. It is meant to be non-sophisticated! This should probably influence its appearance as well! Higher TL systems use Dodecs and Icosahedron stations. So probably it would make more sense to mod those into something more fancy.

Corporate States tend to have a higher TL, so I don't think you will find many with a Coriolis altogether.

And to your question, Griff: Yes, it is possible to create another dependency on government type, by making multiple shipdata-entries with a conditions-clause each, allowing for one (or a couple of) government type only. But again, first of all the engine populates its pool depending on TechLevel. And the equation is: High Tech worlds = no Coriolis.
Influence D
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Influence D »

hmmm - now I'm torn... because I really like the odd torus-style station which tori.oxp adds (even though it takes forever to get into jump-range from one)

but on the other hand, the billboards DO seem totally out of place in a communist system.

I guess Griff has little choice but to do dodecahedron and icosahedron stations. :)

... well, what are you waiting for, Griff? chop chop!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Influence D wrote:
but on the other hand, the billboards DO seem totally out of place in a communist system.
No, they are not. Commies.oxp features billboards! The point is that on the billboards you would find communist propaganda instead of advertising drinks (or whatever).
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The Station though is GalCop controlled so might well be a hive of commerce, where communists from the planet secretly purchase imperialist food blenders and other luxeries. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Imperialist food blenders? No way!

(And by the way: You would need valuta to buy them! :wink: )