Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Split: Discussion on version 1.80

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Split: Discussion on version 1.80

Post by Diziet Sma »

mossfoot wrote:
OXZ question - how can you tell what is newly added to your list? The color coding is great for identifying stuff with updates and stuff that needs other stuff to run, but as the list grows people are just going to wonder "what's new?"

I know something got added recently, because the last page of the menu is longer than it was before... but I'll be damned if I know what was added!
Very good point.. some way of highlighting newly added OXZs would be a good feature for the next round of development..

In the meantime, you have two ways of finding out what's new. The first is the "Latest Expansion Releases" section on the RH side of the front page of the Oolite.org website, and the second is the Expansion Packs page of the same site. By default, it always lists them in order of last update, with the most recent at the top.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

Thanks to all the devs and contributors for this new release. It is awesome. 8) :D
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Tried 10 times to download 1.80 under windows 7 pro. with 2 different profiles... the download stops at various places the along the way. just will not load. I have the dev version so that will have to do for me. disappointed.
OKAY after 30 n0n stop attempts, I finally got a successful download much happier camper.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<grins> I bet you were cussing some, my sky-brother!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

I try not to swear but I do have several dineh word phrases that are pretty colorful and descriptive. :lol:
Now to tweak that horrid sunglare. If we have space travel then the problem of glare filtering has been solved ,something as simple as polarization of the optics. scratching my head over lack of keyboard numpad functions(solved but still ...)
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Now to tweak that horrid sunglare. If we have space travel then the problem of glare filtering has been solved ,something as simple as polarization of the optics.
Spara's way ahead of you, there..
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16533
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

It's a good idea, but there was another one where such glare protection came with external heat shielding that I liked as well.
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

mossfoot wrote:
It's a good idea, but there was another one where such glare protection came with external heat shielding that I liked as well.
It was the first version of my oxp, but it felt too overpowered and I ditched it.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

To the devs: Thank you so much for all your effort in putting together v1.80. I've only had a few runs so far, but already I've seen more varied flights and interactions than ever before. I'd gotten comfortable flying into Anarchy systems - now I have to have my wits about me! I love the new way of installing OXZ's, the new joystick config is great, the ability to have a commander name different to the save file name - just wonderful. This update has opened up new worlds of exploration and action I didn't think would be possible outside a commercial title. It's everything I ever wanted in a space game. Thank you so much.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

phkb wrote:
I've only had a few runs so far, but already I've seen more varied flights and interactions than ever before.
For the icing on the cake, if you haven't done so yet, install cim's Comms Pack A. It's brilliant!
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Actually, I have that installed and I agree, it's brilliant. It does mean, though, that I can't just skim the comm channel anymore. I have to read each entry, and thus my post about a Comms MFD.
Agis Silverfish
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Agis Silverfish »

WOW. Just WOW. This is really great! Thanks a lot to all the developers of this wonderful game! :D

Still, I have a problem. The directional keypad is dead. I have been steering my spaceships with it for a long time and now it's gone. Any ideas? :?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Agis Silverfish wrote:
Still, I have a problem. The directional keypad is dead.
See here - that should help.
Agis Silverfish
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Agis Silverfish »

Thank you. It still doesn't work for me, but I'll be trying to fix it. :|
Cody

Post by Cody »

Did you restart Oolite with the shift key held down 'til the spinning Cobra appears?