Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Adder start: No kidding it's hard!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Adder start: No kidding it's hard!

Post by mossfoot »

Well I'll make of habit of that safety feature... until I can get my joystick setup back. Hell, even in my C64 days I prefered the joystick.
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Well, the Harder Adder start is certainly harder in 1.80!

It wouldn't be so bad if Lave started odd with some asteroids I could see so I could collect empties. And even when I can hitch a ride through someone else's jump, I never seem to be in a system with visible rocks cluttering up the sky... then pirates always kill me. Seriously. I have yet to make a credit.

Yikes.
--

Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

mossfoot wrote:
Well, the Harder Adder start is certainly harder in 1.80!

It wouldn't be so bad if Lave started odd with some asteroids I could see so I could collect empties. And even when I can hitch a ride through someone else's jump, I never seem to be in a system with visible rocks cluttering up the sky... then pirates always kill me. Seriously. I have yet to make a credit.

Yikes.
I managed to find asteroids at Lave by flying to the sun, then back towards the planet.. With my back to the sun the asteroids stood out against the black. One asteroid field was enough to get me fuel and some cargo...

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Yep, just figured that out myself ;) Also I had the Asteroids add-on, maybe it made the asteroids smaller?
--

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Rock hermits usually have plenty of 'roids in their vicinity - all you gotta do is find the local rock hermit(s).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Cody wrote:
Rock hermits usually have plenty of 'roids in their vicinity - all you gotta do is find the local rock hermit(s).
In an base model Adder with no credits for additional equipment? How? If I wanted to find a Rock Hermit in those circumstances I'd be looking for a 'roid field, it seems somewhat counter intuitive to suggest doing it the other way around...

- Neelix
Cody

Post by Cody »

There are ways to find rock hermits, but they require patience (doing the Adder start implies a capacity for patience, yes?): watch (and listen to) the aegis traffic - a Transporter or an Adder heading out-system may be worth following; scan the skies for those distant tell-tale explosions; look out for ships heading off-lane.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Cody wrote:
There are ways to find hermits, but they require patience (doing the Adder start implies a capacity for patience, yes?): watch (and listen to) the aegis traffic - a transporter or an Adder heading out-system may be worth following; scan the skies for those distant tell-tale explosions; look out for ships heading off-lane.
Hrm... that's a very good point. :-) Though in my experience the transports headed for rock hermits tend to be worms or orbital shuttles...

- Neelix
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Well its easy enough to pop enough empties to get your fuel and food cargo to start. I just had trouble finding ding the asteroids at first due in part to glare. Now I know what I'm looking for.

Onward! To victory!
--

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

You know in 1.80 it seems considerably harder to survive and Adder start. It seems like I always have an eventual pirate attack I can't avoid, even in civilized systems no matter how much I try to skirt the main ship lane. I have yet to survive long enough for a ship upgrade of any kind.
--

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

mossfoot wrote:
... no matter how much I try to skirt the main ship lane.
Maybe that's the problem? It's possible that 1.80 pirates are more likely to lurk on the fringes of the lanes, to avoid Viper patrols. Might it be safer to stick to the middle of the WP-planet line?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Or maybe tag along with a convoy - safety in numbers.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mossfoot wrote:
You know in 1.80 it seems considerably harder to survive and Adder start. It seems like I always have an eventual pirate attack I can't avoid, even in civilized systems no matter how much I try to skirt the main ship lane. I have yet to survive long enough for a ship upgrade of any kind.
I've been tootling around the Zaonce system for days now (game time) in my Adder, the Busted Flush, with no problems.. mostly doing runs to and from the three Rock Hermits I've been able to locate. I've done a couple of runs out by the witchpoint beacon and back (one of the hermits is out there) with no dramas.. the only place I've been attacked (twice) was in the Station aegis.. both times I dived in close to the Station, so that when they missed, they'd hit the Station and draw down the wrath of the Vipers on themselves. That got them off my back in a hurry.

I've been able to fit a large cargo bay and an ASC so far.. currently trying to choose between injectors or an ECM for my next purchase.

And yes, I stay in the lane.. although so far I haven't really worried about travelling in company. However, I have no plans to leave Zaonce until I'm good and ready. I very carefully picked this as my first hitchhiking destination when I started the game. Had to wait in the Lave Aegis for almost 90 minutes to get the lift I wanted, but it was worth it.. Zaonce is the safest system in the region.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

So your solution is to not even leave the system? ;)

I tried convoys, only for pirates to attack and go "I choose YOU, Mossfoot!" ignoring the more valuable cargo ships nearby.

I'm sure I'll find a sweet spot. I just never had this much trouble being cautious before.
--

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Your choice of expansion packs can make quite a difference to difficulty, too.. perhaps you have something in there that's influencing things..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied