Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Berlios is perfectly safe (at least the Oolite project's pages). I think the warning is because Fraunhofer Fokus are issuing their own certificates, but there is nothing inherently dangerous with the site itself.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

I think these models look great. Best I've seen yet. I will definitely download and try them once all the ships are done (will they work in 1.73.4? Or are there features that make them more suited to 1.74 when it is released?).

One thing...

I only READ the first couple of pages, and the last couple of pages of the thread. I'm a relative n00b... this thread started before I got here (my first post was on DEC 27th 2009). I just skimmed through all of the other pages.

A couple of posts mentioned "decals", so maybe my comment will be completely moot...

These strike me as a little odd:

"Biohazard Symbol": Anaconda, Cobra MK III. But maybe this is like a comment / warning, like a threatening tattoo?

The Sidewinder has a HEART on it? Hehehe. If its a pirate, does that mean he says "I like you. I really really do. I have nothing against you, you have done nothing to me. But I WILL be vaporizing you shortly, or die trying".

Viper: Will they ALL have the "08" on the wing?
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

the decals are randomly coloured and picked from a pool of about 16 different designs (there's more in the dizzy-all-in-1 version, possibly 64 as this version uses some Japanese designs Disembodied posted earlier on the boards). I cheated a bit finding decals, i used a lot of symbols from hazzard warning signs and the heart comes from the suits in a pack of cards.
Some of the more 'piratey' ships have some primitive paint daubings on them, like the pirate just painted it on themselves - i first saw something like this in the i-war game where the pirate ships were heavily painted with slogans and graffiti, i thought this was cool and when Ahruman wrote the decal shader for Oolite it's the first thing i thought about ripping off for this set of ships.
the vipers have their own set of decals (the numbers 1 - 16) so they will randomly have a decal from this range of numbers on them, so it will sometimes be possible to see two number 8's or whatever launched in the same group but hopefully people won't notice too much when running from the law
Last edited by Griff on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

wow these are simply stunning!

a quick question.

if i download this oxp, is there any way to down load others as well with the same ships and keep those models too?

ie it would be random which skin of a cobra you would come accross?

if this is the case that is great, BUT i guess it would have the down side of you would have to keep on top of your oxp files as there would be no point coming accross some of the very very old models which would look out of place.

thanks for reading

M.
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hi bigmike20vt
these oxp's have two '-overrides'.plist files in them that stop the appearance of the native versions of the ships appearing in game and in the shipyard, but it's safe to remove these files from the griff oxp and have the full mixture of ships back again.
To to this, i recommend getting dizzys all in 1 version from the download link on page 1 as it will make hunting and deleting the files easier.
basically, install the oxp as normal into your Oolite AddOns folder, then open the 'Config' folder inside 'griff_normalmapped_ships.oxp' and delete or rename the following 2 files:

Code: Select all

shipdata-overrides.plist
shipyard-overrides.plist

then re-start Oolite holding down the shift key soon untill the spinning cobra appears on the title screen, this is to force Oolite to flush out its cache of oxp files and re-load them anew so it can see the changes you've made.

If you've downloaded the individual ship oxp's then each of these will have the same 2 files as above in that you'll need to hunt down and delete or rename to get the original version back into your game
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

hi

thanks for the reply.

i do not mind about the original ships these ones are a lot more detailed.

however would it work the same way for another guys oxp as well (which could be just as detailed but just different to yours) or would one over ride the other.

sorry if its a daft question :)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Thanks for your reply, Griff - much appreciated. I will look forward to whenever the project is finished.

The "decal code" then, I assume that is only operative in the trunk / 1.74?

I could just try them in 1.73.4, it wouldn't hurt to see what happens.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Plenty of decals in 1.73.4... see my sig.
Also customisable player ship colours.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Ah - goody then - I need to spend more time in the coding section in the wiki.

(for that matter... I could put a specialized decal on just the players ship, then, I imagine... I will do research)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

JeffBTX wrote:
The Sidewinder has a HEART on it? Hehehe. If its a pirate, does that mean he says "I like you. I really really do. I have nothing against you, you have done nothing to me. But I WILL be vaporizing you shortly, or die trying".
Both Blackbeard and Stede Bonnet had hearts on their pirate flags ...

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

So only the Asp, Boa, BCC, Constrictor, Gecko, Mamba, Shuttle, Transporter and Viper Interceptor left.

Oh, and the Alloy, Scarred Alloy, Barrel, Buoy, Missile, Ball Turret, Q-Bomb, asteroids, boulders, splinters, wreckage and Rock Hermit components.

*whistles innocently*
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Disembodied wrote:
Both Blackbeard and Stede Bonnet had hearts on their pirate flags ...
Arrrr, thanks, I stand corrected. Or rather belay that, I'm sitting corrected.
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

So only the Asp, Boa, BCC, Constrictor, Gecko, Mamba, Shuttle, Transporter and Viper Interceptor left.

Oh, and the Alloy, Scarred Alloy, Barrel, Buoy, Missile, Ball Turret, Q-Bomb, asteroids, boulders, splinters, wreckage and Rock Hermit components.

*whistles innocently*
I was working on the asteroids but stopped due to Oolite seeming to ignore the normals generated by Blender. I was experimenting with baking a normal map from a high poly model to a low using the Tangent normals selection, and replaced the neo model and its normal map in Simon's OXP as they were already working, but no joy. Any advice as I'm still currently clueless at scripting..?
Heres the normal map blender generated..
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff35 ... 1262985455
Is it using the colour channels differently, or, errr...something..?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’d be happy to try to knock some sense into it if you send me the model and full set of textures.
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

hi

i just popped in this oxp and for some reason its not working.

is there any prerequisites i need (i have 1.73.4)

1st when i didnt see new skins on the main menu introduction, i removed my neolite oxp incase that was interfereing with it.

however it has reverted back to the default ships which come with the game.

i must be being a bit thick, please advise

thanks.