Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ruining the classics (screenshot heavy thread)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Had a bit of free time today, so i thought i'd have a go at making a thargoid using the fresnel shader snippet from AMD's rendermonkey examples
I'll upload the oxp here as a test, i think the texture map needs re-working, i don't think thargoids should look so much like a delicious glowing cake, but at least the beetle shell stuff looks nice
http://www.box.net/shared/083ay56nxs (about 2Mb) - works only with the trunk oolite and thargoids from this oxp just float about outside the station with the dumbAI , not really playable.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

And Griff, you've done it again...

8) as f...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

As you realize, there could be Witchspace battles screenshots coming up soon...
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:shock: Do it! Do it! Do it!!!!

Of course us mere mortals are waiting patiently for the current trunk to become the next full beta...
Selezen wrote:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Would the cyan/blue look better as a more lurid green? Just as a thought, to maintain the standard colour scheme...

As you're pimping my ride of course :twisted:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

From Griff's earlier example with the adder which was base coloured green - you only see the full green at certain angles otherwise you see what we see in Griff's Thargoid screenshot - blues, purples and browns...
Selezen wrote:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thargoid wrote:
Would the cyan/blue look better as a more lurid green? Just as a thought, to maintain the standard colour scheme...

As you're pimping my ride of course :twisted:
yeah, the shader definately needs a bit more tweakage, here it is again running in rendermonkey this time, so i could angle the ship a bit better to catch the green at full intensity
the colours that get mixed into the texture (greens & blues in this example) can be specified in the shaders part of the shipdata.plist, greens & purples give quite a nice alien effect although the shader doesn't work very well with the 'recolouring the paint' code from the other normal mapped ships, it all just turns white so i've dumped it from the shader
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Awesome graphics again, Griff! :D

I would put the Thargoid Warship a bit more to the green side, though - I at least always imagined their half-biological cyborg technology to show.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Alternative take on the Thargoid Mothership, a massive rip-off of the close encounters UFOs - a lot more Metal looking and a lot less like a weird shiny glowing cake although it still uses the same shader

http://www.box.net/shared/ysirnx8l72

edit: tweaked the fragment shader slightly to fix the random pulsing glow colour with a minimum value - it looked weird if it generated too low a random colour
Last edited by Griff on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Nicely done, though I prefer the other appearance.

Both are still very fine work, though.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Both very different - both very cool!

Inspired by the Voyager episode about robots that wiped out there masters - how about two factions of Thargoids?

And an OXP that puts the Ooniverse in the middle of a battle between the two of them?

(They could gang up against the Navy but spend the rest of their time slugging it out between themselves...)
Selezen wrote:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Kaks wrote:
Glad to be of help! & yes, the ambient light in trunk now agrees with the sun colour, which it didn't at all times in 1.72.2...
I may be a wee bit late here, but the ambient light in old versions very deliberately didn’t agree with the sun light colour – it was based on the star and nebula colours, since the ambient light is mostly visible on the sides of a model that aren’t sunlit…
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Both very different - both very cool!

Inspired by the Voyager episode about robots that wiped out there masters - how about two factions of Thargoids?

And an OXP that puts the Ooniverse in the middle of a battle between the two of them?

(They could gang up against the Navy but spend the rest of their time slugging it out between themselves...)
I like the sound of this... as another idea, could they just be different models of Thargoid warships?

@ Griff... don't ditch the original, that pulsating red glow, combined with the design, makes it the most alien looking ship I think I've ever seen.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Griff wrote:
here it is again running in rendermonkey this time, so i could angle the ship a bit better to catch the green at full intensity
What you really need is a video. (Use HD and full screen, it’s 720p.)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ahruman wrote:
Griff wrote:
here it is again running in rendermonkey this time, so i could angle the ship a bit better to catch the green at full intensity
What you really need is a video. (Use HD and full screen, it’s 720p.)
Woo! thank you Ahruman! I had that in my to-do list, but you've beat me to it...

a thought.. given the number of Oolite videos that are now in circulation, maybe it would be worthwhile listing them in a separate category under "Trouble with Trumbles", as has been done with the fiction posts?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied