Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by cim »

Griff wrote:
Not sure why but the tharglets are not going hostile for me in Trunk 1.79.0.5796-140613-5dc7327
they're just hovering there but they are going inactive once the mothership is blown up - they seem to behave properly in v1.77.1
Check the AIs - it's possible that there are issues mixing the old Tharglet AI with the new Thargoid AI, or maybe the new Tharglet AI with the old Thargoid AI.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The drones seem to attack npc ships (HIMSN) okay, but not too heavily - I just had a look.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
they don't like a particular line in the fragment shader that deals with applying the ship decal, from your screenshot it looks like the shader for the gun subentity is working but the shader for the main part of the ship has failed because of this line in the 'decaliser' function, here's a post where we work out what the problem is:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 02#p219002
you'll see some lines like this in the log if it is indeed this shader bug

Code: Select all

(0) : fatal error C9999: *** exception during compilation ***
Nope.. I get different errors than this.. but it does appear to be just the Cobby MkIII that has issues.
Griff wrote:
here's an earlier (pre NVidia driver workaround) of the oxp, have a go to see if this one works
https://app.box.com/s/qutt07c4102rnj8pvmzw
Nope.. get the same problem.. and the same error messages, with this version as well.

Code: Select all

09:12:11.704 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
0:117(8): error: initializer of type mat4 cannot be assigned to variable of type float
0:118(15): error: `return' with wrong type mat4, in function `contrast' returning float

09:12:11.705 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships_withScroll.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment.
09:12:11.904 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".

09:12:15.475 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
0:117(8): error: initializer of type mat4 cannot be assigned to variable of type float
0:118(15): error: `return' with wrong type mat4, in function `contrast' returning float

09:12:15.476 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships_withScroll.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment.
09:12:15.681 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
09:13:35.814 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

09:13:35.816 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships_withScroll.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment.
09:13:36.022 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
09:13:43.920 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

09:13:43.922 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships_withScroll.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment.
09:13:44.124 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
09:13:49.255 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

09:13:49.257 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships_withScroll.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment.
09:13:49.460 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
09:14:51.733 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

09:14:51.734 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships_withScroll.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment.
09:14:51.938 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
09:15:04.977 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

09:15:04.979 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships_withScroll.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment.
09:15:05.182 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
09:15:09.089 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

09:15:09.091 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships_withScroll.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment.
09:15:09.301 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
Incidentally, I've been seeing that "Hull" texture warning in errors about Griff ships, posted by others, for a long time (like, a year or two) now also.. any idea what that's about?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Griff wrote:
there be any need for a bundle OXZ or should we get rid of that now - it's a hassle to keep updated as it's such a massive upload
I like bundles and you can split your resources into three: player ships (43MB textures), NPCs (47MB) and rocks (36MB) - the last is within your griff_asteroids_normalmapped.oxp also so you can simply left out.

Here is my collection from you, I think this is well splitted otherwise:
fixed_shader_krait(EW).oxp
griff_alloys_and_wreckage_V1.4.oxp
griff_asteroids_normalmapped.oxp
griff_boa_prototype_normalmapped.oxp
griff_CobraIII_alternate_model.oxp
griff_CobraIII_newshader_test.oxp
griff_cobraIII_subent_missiles.oxp
griff_cobra_mk1_alt.oxp
griff_elite2_bug_v1.2.2.oxp
griff_ferdelance_new2013_V1.0.oxp
griff_gnat_V1.2.5.3.oxp
griff_hognose_v1.21.oxp
Griff_illicit_unlock.oxp
griff_ophidian_v1.0.oxp
Griff_Shipset_Addition_v1.22.oxp
griff_shipset_player_flyable_NPC_ships.oxp
Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp
Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
griff_station_bundle_fullsize_tex_v1.1.oxp
griff_thargoids_normalmapped.oxp
griff_viper_normalmapped_v1.2.oxp
Respray_for_Griffs_0.4_2012.06.24.oxp
Z_GrOovy_Griffs_CobraMk3_Variety_Pack.oxp
Z_GrOovy_Viper_Raider.oxp
Z_GrOovy_YAH_Player_Sidewinder_Variety_Pack.oxp
Z_GrOovy_YAH_Sidewinder_Variety_Pack.oxp
Z_GrOovy_YellOo_Cab_Variety_Pack.oxp
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

@Dizzy
Thanks for posting up the log, it looks like I've done something daft in the new shader, I think it's to do with trying to shove a single floating point number through a matrix made up of vec4's (ie four floating point numbers grouped together in a 'container'), I think I might have an alternate bit of code that can replace the broken bit, can you try this oxp diz (and anyone else who wants to test) when you get a moment to see if it works

If it does work, then the bad news is that I've broken all the shaders in my OXPs for both Oolite v1.77.1 and Trunk since I've used this faulty bit of code in all of them in the latest update frenzy :lol:

@Norby
I've had a bit of a think and yeah it might be worth continuing with a bundle OXP, I might rearrange things slightly and put the shaders in with the config files leave the textures in their own OXP, that way I can fix shader bugs without having to upload all the textures too (since they very rarely change much now)
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Griff wrote:
it looks like I've done something daft in the new shader, I think it's to do with trying to shove a single floating point number through a matrix made up of vec4's (ie four floating point numbers grouped together in a 'container')
This isn't related with the crash I reported?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

no i don't think so, dizzy's getting hit by a bug in the fragment shaders that nvidia cards chose to ignore and i think you're getting the same problem as here https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 02#p219002 when something changed in nvidia's drivers causing the shaders to break. the latest standalone oxp downloads over at my box.com page have this fixed but not the bug that diz has found, i should be able to get that fixed over the next few days
Cody

Post by Cody »

Just to say that the test Cobra III works fine here, Griff - but the previous version was working fine here too.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

thanks for testing that cody, yeah i think the nvida drivers just work around the bug in the shader (athough they probably shouldn't!) as i don't get the problem on my pc either. actually the new bit of code works better than the old one i think so it's worked out for the best in the long run once i get everything updated :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

I have such sweet memories of AMD drivers - bah!

I'm liking the new rainbow drives on your ships, Griff - but I ain't too sure it works so well on the Viper Interceptors.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

*drools over the rainbow drives*

Pity I'm going to be Oolite-less for a month.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
I have such sweet memories of AMD drivers - bah!
Tell me about it.. The next laptop I buy is gonna be checked VERY carefully first. :roll:
Cody wrote:
I'm liking the new rainbow drives on your ships, Griff - but I ain't too sure it works so well on the Viper Interceptors.
Clearly, GalCop doesn't have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
I think I might have an alternate bit of code that can replace the broken bit, can you try this oxp diz (and anyone else who wants to test) when you get a moment to see if it works

If it does work, then the bad news is that I've broken all the shaders in my OXPs for both Oolite v1.77.1 and Trunk since I've used this faulty bit of code in all of them in the latest update frenzy :lol:
Guess what?

You've got a lot of work in front of you, mate.. It works! :D

Even that missing "Hull" texture file error message is gone.. :D
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I like bundles and you can split your resources into three: player ships (43MB textures), NPCs (47MB) and rocks (36MB) - the last is within your griff_asteroids_normalmapped.oxp also so you can simply left out.
That's a good idea.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Those rainbow drives are awesome! How did you do it, Griff?