Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

SirArian
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by SirArian »

Tricky wrote:
I cheated and loaded the 1st diffuse texture into GIMP, flattened it, inverted and then lowered the white level.
That would probably help... I used a pause from in game for the old ones, and the picture up there for the new ones. My tablet camera isn't very good though, so that's probably what the problem is.
"May Duralium ever stand between you and the Vacuum."
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Here's a version of the recent cargo Pod oxp but with the shader changed a bit to apply a sort of 'Green Wireframe effect' over the object.

It's not quite as neat an effect as i thought it was :( but it does help the pods stand out a bit in-game if they're a bit too dark originally, just install the oxp and pretend your ships scanner has had a pod detecting upgrade :)

Download: https://app.box.com/s/pxdtgz88qschrupjyfcx (about 6MB)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Here's the pod texture with the QRCodes and Barcodes but without the 'chips' in the paint, I think the barcodes are un-scanable, I chopped bits off them to get them to fit without having to scale them down too much :lol:
http://s105.photobucket.com/user/griff_ ... c.jpg.html

http://s105.photobucket.com/user/griff_ ... f.jpg.html
SirArian
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SirArian »

Griff wrote:
Here's the pod texture with the QRCodes and Barcodes but without the 'chips' in the paint, I think the barcodes are un-scanable, I chopped bits off them to get them to fit without having to scale them down too much :lol:
http://s105.photobucket.com/user/griff_ ... c.jpg.html

http://s105.photobucket.com/user/griff_ ... f.jpg.html
Yep, those worked. :D Well, the QR codes did. I was able to get the barcodes to scan twice, but both times they were different, and both times they were wrong. Oh well. It's cool that their on there anyway. :mrgreen:
"May Duralium ever stand between you and the Vacuum."
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

So I installed the new, so-called 'wonder driver', from Nvidia this evening - which may not have been a wise move, as it happens.

It doesn't seem to like your shaders, Griff - it throws oodles of these:

Code: Select all

22:27:59.272 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_gecko_r_channel_decals.fragment.
22:27:59.318 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_normalmapped_cobra_III_(alt)_NPC_R_Decals_clean.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment info
-------------
(0) : fatal error C9999: *** exception during compilation ***

22:27:59.318 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_normalmapped_cobra_III_(alt)_NPC_R_Decals_clean.fragment.
22:27:59.552 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_mamba_r_channel_decals.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment info
-------------

22:27:59.552 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_mamba_r_channel_decals.fragment.
22:27:59.634 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_normalmapped_cobra_III_(alt)_NPC_R_Decals.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment info
-------------
The full log is here - it covers most, if not all, of your ships, I think. Ho-hum!

Without Griff's shipset, Oolite appears to run fine, with no errors - has anyone else installed this Nvidia driver: 337.50?
Meanwhile, I'll roll back to the previous drivers, methinks. It may be a faulty install - or it may be my machine. Bugger!

Edit to add: tried a fresh install of 337.50 and got the same result. Rolled back to the older drivers and all is well again.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've got an nvidia card, i'll grab that driver and give it a test, with a bit of luck if it doesn't work with the shaders in the current bundle shipset oxp it might be OK with the new shaders in the current 'standalone' versions of the ship oxp's i've got up at box. If it does work, i'll sort out an update bundle oxp and get it uploaded - man, i really hope the new shader does work, it took me ages to fumble about cluelessly in rendermonkey getting it to run :lol:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I didn't get around to testing that new nvidia driver in the end Cody, i spotted some stuff on a forum where there was a chap getting that error with his shader, a nvidia guy was there saying it was a bug in that particular build of the shader and it would be sorted soon
here's the page - it brings up some sort of certificate warning on my pc, so i'll paste underneath here's the relevant quote i spotted
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... -function/

"unfortunately, you are hitting a compiler bug related to function parameter passing we have already fixed, but did not make it into the release driver, yet."
Cody

Post by Cody »

So it's the Nvidia driver at fault, yes? Okay, that's good news.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Anyone tested the new nVidia drivers that just came out, GeForce 337.88 Driver WHQL?
I'm still getting the shader error with Griff's shaders when using these drivers.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
Anyone tested the new nVidia drivers that just came out, GeForce 337.88 Driver WHQL?
I plan to install that driver tonight (should've been last night, but other stuff got in the way).
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

oo, let me know how you get on, I'm off work this week on holiday and so on an internet connection worse that two old bean tins tied together with string so I can't grab the new drivers, if possible can you test the driver with one of the standalone oxp ships from either the Core shipset for Oolite v1.77 (and higher) or Core Shipset for Oolite v1.79 (Trunk) subfolders found here: https://app.box.com/shared/rpkms25cc9
the shaders in these oxp's are newer ones than what's in the bundle oxp
Cody

Post by Cody »

<chunters> No luck! Oodles of errors with your shipset. With only the Cobra Mk III from the Core Shipset for Oolite v1.79 folder installed, I got a bunch of these:

16:16:32.280 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_npc.fragment.
16:16:32.287 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
  16:16:32.382 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_cobra_mk3_npc.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment info
Back to the old drivers, I suppose - ho-hum!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks for testing this Cody. I think i'll sit up tonight and grab this driver, this page
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... -function/
seems to suggest it's a bug in their drivers and it's from a while back - so if the bug has made it into the release version of the driver then I suppose it's now a 'feature'
The guy there shows a workaround, i'll have a look to see if it does indeed fix this problem
Cody

Post by Cody »

[dumb pilot mode] Doesn't Cheyd's nav buoy use one of your shaders, Griff? That seems to work fine (as does the BGS stuff)! [/dumb pilot mode]
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

yeah, it's odd - I've just tried out cobraIII v1.04 from my box, the gun subentity shader is compiling and working OK, but the shader for the hull isn't - from the error message that 'ambientColour isn't defined' it does look like there's a genuine bug in the shader - I've fixed that but now there's too much ambient lighting being applied and the cobra is glowing - I can't get this fixed - I think the shader is running bits of code meant for simple shader mode when oolite is set to full shader mode, still investigating....

edit: hmm, it looks like it's something in my decal applying function....
edit2: specifically this

decal_TexCoord *= mat2(decal_c, decal_s, -decal_s, decal_c);