Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Griff »

ah that looks like a bug in the shader, it's not triggering an error for me but I think that's just my graphics drivers choosing to ignore it rather than it not existing, from looking at the griff_constrictor-npc.fragment in a text editor, I think if you just delete line 118

Code: Select all

#ifndef OO_REDUCED_COMPLEXITY 
then things should be OK, it looks like I've made a copy/paste error there when I was moving some bits of the shader code around, i'll fix the line and update the oxp.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Thanks Griff, Constrictor v1.01 works fine now
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've added an alternative cargopod oxp over at my box page, two versions of the OXP, one for regular Oolite and one for trunk Oolite (this one is in the 'v1.79 oxp' subfolder) - both versions are identical except for a few like_ship lines in the shipdata.plist file
I've forgotten to take out the shipdata-overides.plist file from the config folder in the oxp that supresses the appearance of regular cargopods, you might want to delete that from the oxp for regular play, i'll try and remember to remove it if/when I next update this oxp. :oops:
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Very cool pods Griff!. I like al those small details.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Excellent as ever sir 8)
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Griff

I loaded Griff_Viper_v1.0.oxp for Oolite v1.79 and get log error:

11:19:00.508 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "griff_viper_flasher_effects_map.png".

Its called at line 74 of the shipdata.plist
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

ah, the file's actually called griff_viper_flasher_effects.png, if you search the shipdata.plist file for griff_viper_flasher_effects_map.png and replace it with griff_viper_flasher_effects.png you should be good to go, it appears once in the texture list for the viper interceptor I think.

I've been going through these oxps again the last few days sorting things out in them (there's a few ships that have the dumbAI assigned to them as well as other bugs!), I should have some updated versions up on box.net this evening as well as some non-trunk versions that will work with regular v1.77 Oolite.

Edit: Done! uploaded some updated versions for Oolite v1.79 (trunk) and Oolite v1.77 (the current Oolite release) :D
The update fixes a couple of bugs in the shipdata.plists and also some improvements to the engine glow effect especially at very low and very high speeds - the glow has a decent bit of intensity at low speed (rather than weakly fading in as the speed increases as it previously did), and the glow now also gets an intensity cap when using the torus drive - not like before (see image posted previous of examples of 'when glow effects go wrong') :lol:

A single download bundle version will come soon, just want to redo the texture for one of the python variants, probably next weekend.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Hello Griff,

Thank you for the new design of the cargo containers, I am very enamoured with the very useful flashing light on them as before they were virtually impossible to see when not in sun light. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Duggan wrote:
I am very enamoured with the very useful flashing light on them as before they were virtually impossible to see when not in sun light. :)
WHAAAT !!!???... They now have lights ??? :shock:

What new awesomeness is this? :D

Thanks Griff. Love the variety you've given them :)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks Guys! :D I probably could have done more with the lights to be honest, at the moment it's just a little blinking thing on one of the sides.
I do have an experimental shader that would pop a glowing wireframe over the cargo pod (as if your ships computer was highighting them for you), i'll see if i can dig it out - i'm not sure if i got it properly working or if there was some in-game weirdness with it or something
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

I like it that one of the QCodes actually scanned (next to the serial number). Couldn't get any of the regular barcodes to scan. Am I bothered? Nope! 8)

The textures are really impressive and lend realism to the cargopods.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i had to chop some of the barcodes off to get them to fit the cannisters so they're probably broken, i used one of the online sites to generate them (and the qr codes), really amazed that the qr code worked! and chuffed that someone was crazy enough to try and scan it :lol:
SirArian
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SirArian »

Griff wrote:
i had to chop some of the barcodes off to get them to fit the cannisters so they're probably broken, i used one of the online sites to generate them (and the qr codes), really amazed that the qr code worked! and chuffed that someone was crazy enough to try and scan it :lol:
I actually tried with the older ones, but couldn't get it to scan... And I can't get these to scan either. It's still cool that you put them on there though! :D
"May Duralium ever stand between you and the Vacuum."
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I can't remember exactly what the barcodes and QRcodes stood for, but they're mostly URL links to oolite.org, these boards and various combinations of 'Griff' or 'Griff2014' massive egomaniac that I am :lol:
I'll have to try and hide other things in the oxps :D
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

SirArian wrote:
Griff wrote:
I actually tried with the older ones, but couldn't get it to scan... And I can't get these to scan either. It's still cool that you put them on there though! :D
I cheated and loaded the 1st diffuse texture into GIMP, flattened it, inverted and then lowered the white level.