Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Diziet Sma »

Maybe think about a different folder structure and filing system for them.. one of the nice things about box.com is that you can move files around without breaking the individual links.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

Griff, you redid your Cobra mk. III to reflect the stock cobra's shape. Is it in your shipset, already? If not, where would I get it?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The late-model Griff Cobra Mk III (griff_CobraIII_alternate_model.oxp) is in this list (along with some other nice ships, like the Wolf Mk II).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

Thanks.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks for all your work Cody keeping on top of what's what in that mess of a folder! :D I've made an 'old OXP archive' folder and moved all the ship OXPs that have become out of date (or appear in updated form in the shipset bundle OXP) into it, so the only ones in the list at box are the new ships or the 'second go' attempts ships I didn't do a good job of the first time round
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

There seems to be a bug in the core shipset addition oxp (1.22). Rock_chunks 2-6 like_ship to splinter_1 when they ought to like_ship to rock_chunk 1. In replacement version this is as it should.

Another strange thing about the addition oxp is the shipdata-overrides file that nullifies the roles from core ship datakeys. I don't see why this is done.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks spara, I've fixed those like_ship bugs and re-uploaded the oxp, now v1.23

Those keys in the shipdata-overrides.plist are there to supress the appearance of the default shipset in game if you have this oxp. This difference I suppose between this 'addition oxp' and the 'replacement oxp' is that the replacement oxp actually overwrites the core ship data with griff oxp ships, whilst the addition shipset doesn't - it adds it's ships alongside the core shipset and if another oxp needs to spawn a ship from the core shipset then it can without it conjuring up a griff shipset version
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Ok, I see your point on breaking oxps relying on core models. I'm suspecting a misunderstanding somewhere though as the addition version of your shipset seems to be the only addition shipset suppressing the core ships.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

The replacement shipset oxp came along after, and now that it exists I suppose it makes the core shipset suppression in the 'addition oxp' redundant, I'm not sure what to do, is it best to remove the shipdata-overrides.plits from this oxp? to be honest I don't really like the way replacement shipsets work by overwriting the core ship data, it leads to oxp's clashing and unpredictable stuff happening when spawning ships using core shipset names, I prefer the way the addition shipset does it by just changing the role keys of the core ships
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Griff wrote:
The replacement shipset oxp came along after, and now that it exists I suppose it makes the core shipset suppression in the 'addition oxp' redundant, I'm not sure what to do, is it best to remove the shipdata-overrides.plits from this oxp? to be honest I don't really like the way replacement shipsets work by overwriting the core ship data, it leads to oxp's clashing and unpredictable stuff happening when spawning ships using core shipset names, I prefer the way the addition shipset does it by just changing the role keys of the core ships
A tough one, that question is. The trouble lies in like_shipping as that is done explicitly. For example Random Hits that has quite a lot of those would suffer a major graphical downgrade, if it would get core models. This will get better with 1.79 and it's new models of course. Maybe it's better left untouched for now.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've made a folder over at box with some updated versions of my shipset OXP's ( the "Oolite_V1.79_OXP" folder over at http://www.box.com/shared/rpkms25cc9 ) they're based on the Oolite v1.79 models and .plists so they won't work with previous versions of Oolite. Apart from rewriting all the shaders and .plists there's not been that many changes, I've ditched some of the ships, tweaked the textures on others etc, I think it all looks prettier but maybe more taxing to run - the shaders certainly got longer!
An all in one compilation OXP will come soon but first I think I need to check all this for bugs and have another go at the cargo pod texture and maybe do something about not making the asteroids so grey :lol:

edit: added an oxp to start a new game in one of these Cobra IIIs and an OXP to supress the spawning of the standard ship set ships
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

spara wrote:
A tough one, that question is.
Whats with the green frog impersonations? :roll:
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Tried out the adder - very nice though perhaps missing : 14:38:47.217 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "griff_decals_npc.png".

oops - just noticed also have to add the new decals oxp
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks for checking out the OXP DGill, let me know if you spot any bugs, I found a few after uploading these yesterday (the krait's gun was permanently glowing white as it was referencing the wrong texture in it's shipdata.plist and I'm not sure if anyone has the v1.0 of the cobra III but if you have, try switching on the torus drive and checking out your ship engines in the external view, it all turns a rather lavish pink, Barbera Cartland would have loved it :lol: - hopefully both these are fixed now!
edit: aw photobucket is down at the moment for maintenance, when it comes back i'll post up a pic of the cobraIII's engine freak out

Image :shock: :shock:
yeah there's a lot more decals available in the new decal.oxp texture for the ships to use , there's 64 (well 16 of these are numbers used by shuttles and police ships) so the shaders needed to know to look for the new decal texture (otherwise there would be odd stuff happening like four of the old decals appearing in a squashed strip along the hull of the ships) I took the opportunity to rename the texture to stop Oolite using the old one if it was installed.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Not sure if its something I did, but I created a test ship for Griff_Constrictor_v1.0.oxp with "like_ship" = "griff_constrictor-NPC";
on adding the test ship I ended up with a completely black ship and the following log error: [although an #endif after line 126 seems to solve the problem :D ]

14:40:03.758 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_constrictor-npc.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
0(117) : error C7102: unmatched #if

14:40:03.758 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_constrictor-npc.fragment.
14:40:03.766 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
14:40:03.778 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_constrictor-npc.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

14:40:03.778 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_constrictor-npc.fragment.
14:40:03.786 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
14:40:03.788 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_constrictor-npc.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

14:40:03.788 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_constrictor-npc.fragment.
14:40:03.796 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
14:40:03.797 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_constrictor-npc.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

14:40:03.797 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_constrictor-npc.fragment.
14:40:03.805 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
14:40:03.807 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_constrictor-npc.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

14:40:03.807 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_constrictor-npc.fragment.
14:40:03.815 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".