Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[WIP] GalCop Missions

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: [WIP] GalCop Missions

Post by phkb »

Thanks again for your bug location efforts! New version on the way.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, version 0.3.5 is now available which fixes the issue with the manifest entry on the secondary mission. Thanks for the bug report!
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Hi, i don't can completed "Deliver personal message" sub-mission ("Investigate unknown beacon" mission). The destination system was changed to originated system in the delivering process to destination. It's right?

This mission not presented in the Mission Description file. This file not updated?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Rustem wrote:
Hi, i don't can completed "Deliver personal message" sub-mission ("Investigate unknown beacon" mission). The destination system was changed to originated system in the delivering process to destination. It's right?
Well, in all my tests v0.3.5 was working - I found the escape pod, got the new mission, fly to the destination, docked at the main station, and was able to complete the mission and deliver the personal messages. If this didn't work for you I might need to have a look at your save game file to see if I've messed something up somewhere.
Rustem wrote:
This mission not presented in the Mission Description file. This file not updated?
The original investigations mission is type 132. The deliver messages mission is type 141. Both are detailed in the descriptions.plist file. I haven't updated the Mission Descriptions.rtf file with the most recent mission additions. On my todo list.

Oh, and I just published version 0.3.6, which removes a debug flag that would cause type 132 missions to be generated too often.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

phkb wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm
... I found the escape pod, got the new mission, fly to the destination, docked at the main station, and was able to complete the mission and deliver the personal messages. If this didn't work for you I might need to have a look at your save game file to see if I've messed something up somewhere.
It's solved, thanks! I don't clicked "Complete the mission" for first mission on the GC Bulletin Board in the main station and fly to the destination of the secondary mission. It is my first test play of the GalCop Missions OXP.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Rustem wrote:
I don't clicked "Complete the mission" for first mission on the GC Bulletin Board
Rather than have everything just auto-finish as soon as you dock, I made the design decision to ask the player to manually complete most of the missions. I thought this would help avoid the situation where the player doesn't think about the missions once they're accepted, and just docks at the required station and have everything auto-complete. You know, a bit more engagement.

You shouldn't have needed to complete the initial mission before completing the secondary one. The secondary mission is independent of primary one. If you experience further difficulties completing the secondary mission, let me know - there might be a problem somewhere else.
Rustem wrote:
It is my first test play of the GalCop Missions OXP.
Excellent! Thanks for trying it out. I hope it provides some entertainment for you.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 0.3.7 is now available, which fixes a bug with the failed mission function call.
CmdrJaRule
Harmless
Harmless

Post by CmdrJaRule »

Hey there!

I'm running into a problem with the cargo collection missions, namely that the Range Finder, when set to "Black Boxes" doesn't seem to show any cargo pods nearby. I accepted a mission that had me collecting cargo pods on the other side of the sun from the witchpoint, and I travelled a fair distance away but still no dice, nothing showed up on the scanner. How far away do I have to be from the sun of a system to get close to the cargo? Is the Range Finder just bugged? Is "black boxes" the right option to find the containers?

One of the things I also noticed was that when the scanner is set to Black Boxes the "No Objects Found" message doesn't show up until after I stop the scanner. The other modes don't do that; they will instantaneously display whether or not any objects were found and update them frequently.

Thanks!
phkb

Post by phkb »

First of all, welcome aboard, commander!
CmdrJaRule wrote:
I'm running into a problem with the cargo collection missions, namely that the Range Finder, when set to "Black Boxes" doesn't seem to show any cargo pods nearby.
The Range Finder doesn't have a mode to scan for cargo pods. However, the cargo pods should be located within an asteroid field, and there is a scan mode for asteroids. Hopefully that will help you track down the cargo.

I'll check out the issue with the "No Objects Found" message and report back. I might also consider adding a "Cargo pod" mode to the Range Finder. Thanks for the report!
phkb

Post by phkb »

New version 0.4.0 is out now. Thanks to CmdrJaRule for his bug-spotting! In this version:
  • Added "Cargo pod" mode to Range Finder.
  • Fixed error with Range Finder when scanning for Black Boxes. If non-ship entities were in range (eg planet, sun), a Javascript error would occur.
  • Changing the Range Finder mode will now clear the MFD of previous scan results.

I added a "Cargo pod" mode to the Range Finder for the moment, but I'd be interested in any feedback about this, particularly if having this mode makes other tasks/missions/activities too easy.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Hi. I've tried the satellite upload mission type a couple of times, and it never works. I approach any of the surveillance satellites in a system (tried multiple when there was more than one), within 1 km distance, and transmit code. It always gives the invalid code response, even if I'm well within the time limit.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a bug, but I’ll check it out and report back.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, I just tested the missions and they seem to work OK for me, so if there's a bug it's hiding well!

I need to confirm some details with you. Was this the "upload data" mission, not the "upgrade firmware" mission? If so, were you targeting one of the surveillance satellites in the destination? The upload data mission only relates to surveillance satellites, and targeting any other satellite will generate the "Invalid code" response. Also, did you see any errors in your log file after failing to get past the security prompt?
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

It was an upload data mission; the mission text specified surveillance satellites specifically. I was targeting the surveillance satellite(s) in the destination system, yes. I did not see errors in the console, not sure about other log files. I don't have a saved game currently with this mission active, but I'll take the next one I see and report back if it still doesn't work.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Another possibility is if there were multiple surveillance satellites at the destination - the bug might be something to do with this. I'll do some code checking and see what I find.

[Edit] And I have to ask: Were you in the right destination system? (I know, it's a silly question, but I gotta do it!)