Tons of gold and platinum - 1.74 on windows

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Tons of gold and platinum - 1.74 on windows

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
This problem can be fixed by also adding gold in containers, up to 1000kg in a container on launch. Than it would also be possible to cycle though the cargo (with shift-R) and dump that container with 1000 kg of gold/platinum. And also that container could get destroyed in combat. :lol:
This behaviour was just commited in SVN3081. Please test, hopefully I have not broken anything too badly ;-)

Basically, any kg quantity higher than 1000 and any gram quantity higher than 1000000 gets distributed in as many 1t cargopods are required to contain it. Anything that remains and is less than 1t remains in the safe.
I thought it was canon that cargo pods/containers definitely weren't Tons (or is it tonnes? I never remember which is the metric weight) - because putting 1000kg of anything inside a single pod means that that pod has to weigh more than one ton(ne) because the container itself has a mass....
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
So, when are we going to get an OXP that adds Snork's safe to the debris cloud of a ship - it'd only have to have a capacity of 200 litres! It'd be tiny compared to 1 TC Container Pod!!
The hunt for snork's safe is on!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Commander McLane wrote:
So I would suggest, before frantically adding fixes to the trunk for a behaviour that hasn't actually changed and is in line with 8-bit Elite, perhaps we should find an agreement on (1) whether we consider it buggy in the first place and (2) what it is that we want to achieve.
All I can say is that when I noticed the thousands of kilograms being subtracted from my cargo capacity, it made perfect sense to me.
In spaceships, I would think mass being more considered than volume.

Real nowadays rockets I think they have defined max cargo capacity in mass, not in volume. ("able to transport so-and-so many kg")
------------------------
(or is it tonnes? I never remember which is the metric weight)
Please do not start this, you have no idea what those anglo-saxon measures do to continental brains.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

snork wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
I know, it feels buggy. but I think this already happened in 1.73 and earlier.
In 1.73.4 the gold and platinum do not fill cargo capacity. (but when freshly scooped of course)
This screenshot is with the same savegame, but in 1.73.4 :
I already forgot this old behaviour. It always felt buggy. 1.74 has a now fully scriptable cargo. It seems it was fixed while docked, but the "in-flight" cargo still behaved the old way. But I like the idea of really having it in cargo pods like the other cargo.

And it is a real pain to replace such a loss. I remember an occasion were I could sell my gold at a good prise. I sold the maximum quantity possible (127 kg) But A few jumps later I realised it was cargo belonging to a contract. Then I noticed most station don't sell more than a few kg at a time. Replacing that 128 kg before the deadline was a pain. But replacing 1000 kg Gold/Platinum is a nightmare. You just must hope that a new contract comes up to fill one hole with the other so you can buy time to replace the loss.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Eric Walch wrote:
Then I noticed most station don't sell more than a few kg at a time. Replacing that 128 kg before the deadline was a pain. But replacing 1000 kg Gold/Platinum is a nightmare. You just must hope that a new contract comes up to fill one hole with the other so you can buy time to replace the loss.
Gulp.
I am about 400 kg short already. :|
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Than there is still an other old bug, introduced in version 1.65 or earlier. Look at the amount of firearms:

It is created by using the following barrel definition:

Code: Select all

testbarrel3 = {
		bounty = 0;
		"cargo_carried" = "50 firearms";
		"cargo_type" = "CARGO_CARRIED";
		"like_ship" = barrel;
		name = "big container";
		roles = bigBarrel;
		scanClass = "CLASS_CARGO";
	};
The code allows to put 50 tons of cargo in a barrel but can not handle it properly after scooping. It fills up just 1 ton in the bay. It gets corrected on docking. Then my hold is claimed to contain 160 ton while the manifest still shows to much.
This bug is just rare as nobody makes use of this way of defining quantities that was probably intended for gold/gemstones only. So probably the code needs a check for only those goods?
Or leave it to the responsibility of scripters not to generate such pods?

Thargoids pods.oxp also has pods with several tons, but that is scripted cargo that checks for storage room and handles thing correctly as it direct adds to the manfest.
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Interesting point about mass and volume snork. The odd thing about cargo mass in Oolite is, it really doesn't matter. Whether your hold is empty or full it makes no difference whatsoever to your ship's acceleration or handling. Of course, our engines are some sort of exotic technology that require thrust at all times to keep you moving in a vacuum (and can accelerate you to a significant fraction of lightspeed within a couple of seconds without laminating you to the back wall of the cockpit).

In real world rockets mass is, of course, the major issue as getting extra mass out of Earth's gravity well requires extra fuel; which itself has extra mass. In Oolite with our gravity free planets and deeply strange propulsion systems I contend it's the volume of our cargo bays rather than their load bearing ability that should concern us.
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Eric Walch wrote:
The code allows to put 50 tons of cargo in a barrel but can not handle it properly after scooping. It fills up just 1 ton in the bay. It gets corrected on docking. Then my hold is claimed to contain 160 ton while the manifest still shows to much.
This now corrected in revision 3091. When a cargo heavier than 1 ton is define with the cargo_carried key the amount is reduced to one ton (or 1000 kg etc..)

At the same time I added a new JS command: setCargo(type, count) that does the same as the old cargo_carried and can be used to set the cargo of barrels by script. (also maximised to 1 ton)

Scripted barrels are no longer removed after scooping when there is a content defined for them. This allows for scripted barrels that also can be stored by NPC ships and are released on death of the NPC ship.

And last but not least: to get rid of the sometimes annoying default scoop messages I added a shipKey "has_scoop_message". Default is true but by defining the key as false one can suppress the default messages. This allows scripts to add their custom messages without interference.

Hmm. quite a cascade this bug report gave :wink:

Oh, to test these new features I used a new test version of Cargo_wreck_teaser 1.6.1. This one needs at least revision 3091 from to day to work.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nice One Eric (although I remain unconvinced about 1000kg of "something" (gold or platinum in our case) being equal to 1 TC of a cargo pod since it is very convenient for 1TC NOT TO EQUAL 1 (real) Tonne in lots of other aspects of the game)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here