Tons of gold and platinum - 1.74 on windows

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Tons of gold and platinum - 1.74 on windows

Post by snork »

Running Oolite with no OXPs at all, trunk 1.74.3080.
Windows XP, OpenGL 1.5.3, no shaders.

One bug and two oddities around tons of gold and platinum, which is new to me, btw. .

bug : ship is full, but I can still scoop stuff. This is not so in ver. 1.73.4 .
odd : how many kilograms make a ton / where does the rounding happen ?
odd : sequence to display "cargo hold full" message/ scoop icon red / cargo numbers in F8. (noone will ever notice, if they ain't making screenshots for this bug report :lol: )

I have 3521 kilograms of gold and platinum aboard, which amounts to 3 tons.
I am used to rounding as >=0.5 gets rounded to 1, so I would expect 3521 kg to use cargo capacity of 4 tons.

When docked I can buy 152 tons of stuff (capacity minus those 3 tons of gold+platinum), and then the ship is full.

However look at the scoop icon, it is still green, and although the ship is full, I can scoop up to as many tons as the gold+platinum amounts to.
Here I scooped 2 tons of minerals.

With the third ton scooped, I get the cargo hold full and can no more scoop things.
When selling stuff ton by ton, first 3 sold tons the Load stays at 155, then from the 4th ton on it subtracts 1 for each ton sold.

------------------------------------

With the 3rd ton of minerals scooped, I get the message ".. scooped" and "Cargo hold full", though the 3rd ton is not showing up in F8 screen until later.
Yes, who cares. :D
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

The Gold, Platinum and Gems are not kept in your cargo hold, but in a safe in your cabin, so they do not count towards your cargo capacity. Admittedly this seems odd when you have the amounts in tons that you have!

Don't know about the Minerals bit though. That might be a bug.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

JazHaz wrote:
The Gold, Platinum and Gems are not kept in your cargo hold, but in a safe in your cabin, so they do not count towards your cargo capacity.
Well they do when it comes to buying stuff. So it is inconsistent.

(At first when those mystery tons appeared I thought : "this is it, I finally caught me trumbles" :lol: )
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

snork wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
The Gold, Platinum and Gems are not kept in your cargo hold, but in a safe in your cabin, so they do not count towards your cargo capacity.
Well they do when it comes to buying stuff.
You sure? They don't on my 1.73.4...?

I know because I was doing a cargo contract yesterday for 160 tons of luxuries which filled the capacity of my PCC, but was able to buy Gold, Platinum and Gems, with no problems.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

JazHaz wrote:
snork wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Well they do when it comes to buying stuff.
I should have said "when it comes to buying stuff that goes by tons" :D

And yes, I think I can always buy as many gold and platinum as is offered, no matter how much of whatever the ship is loaded with.

This way or that way, something seems fishy to me. :D
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

When you scoop gold, platinum or gems they count towards your cargo capacity until docked and then they're transferred to your ship safe and then they no longer count towards your hold's capacity...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Tons of gold and platinum - 1.74 on windows

Post by Eric Walch »

snork wrote:
bug : ship is full, but I can still scoop stuff. This is not so in ver. 1.73.4 .
odd : how many kilograms make a ton / where does the rounding happen ?
I know, it feels buggy. but I think this already happened in 1.73 and earlier.

From technical point:
- the ship has no on-board cargo when docked.
- on launch, all tonnage cargo is put in containers.
- when checking for hold full, it only counts the containers and ignores the kg goods.
- on the other hand, when scooping a container with 7 kg of gold, this container counts as a full container and takes up a ton of space.

In game this behaviour can be explained that gold etc is not put in the cargo bay but in a separate vault. But I agree that this than does not explain why the mass is considered on buying stuff.
This problem can be fixed by also adding gold in containers, up to 1000kg in a container on launch. Than it would also be possible to cycle though the cargo (with shift-R) and dump that container with 1000 kg of gold/platinum. And also that container could get destroyed in combat. :lol:
Now you can only dump gold containers that where previously scooped.

Just counting containers probably goes wrong with scripted containers that add more than 1 ton of cargo by script as internally they are just counted as one container
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Imagine trying to replace that in the middle of a contract. Ouch!
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Eric Walch wrote:
This problem can be fixed by also adding gold in containers, up to 1000kg in a container on launch. Than it would also be possible to cycle though the cargo (with shift-R) and dump that container with 1000 kg of gold/platinum. And also that container could get destroyed in combat. :lol:
This behaviour was just commited in SVN3081. Please test, hopefully I have not broken anything too badly ;-)

Basically, any kg quantity higher than 1000 and any gram quantity higher than 1000000 gets distributed in as many 1t cargopods are required to contain it. Anything that remains and is less than 1t remains in the safe.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Eric Walch wrote:
I know, it feels buggy. but I think this already happened in 1.73 and earlier.
In 1.73.4 the gold and platinum do not fill cargo capacity. (but when freshly scooped of course)
This screenshot is with the same savegame, but in 1.73.4 :

--------------------------
Loxley wrote:
Imagine trying to replace that in the middle of a contract. Ouch!
No big problem. Sign another contract that will fill you up with the necessary gold / whatever.

---------------------------
oh, posted at roughly the same time.
another_commander wrote:
Basically, any kg quantity higher than 1000 and any gram quantity higher than 1000000 gets distributed in as many 1t cargopods are required to contain it. Anything that remains and is less than 1t remains in the safe.
Now this should add some more tension to fights. 8)
Last edited by snork on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

One final thing to note: as gold weighs 19.3g/cm^3 then 2074kg of gold only takes up 107.46litres of space - about the same amount of space the water of a half full domestic bath would occupy...

(scary really!)
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

and a note to my note: Platinum's density is 21.45g/cm^3, so 1447kg of platinum would take up a depressingly minuscule 67.5 litres of space!!

So, when are we going to get an OXP that adds Snork's safe to the debris cloud of a ship - it'd only have to have a capacity of 200 litres! It'd be tiny compared to 1 TC Container Pod!!
Selezen wrote:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
So, when are we going to get an OXP that adds Snork's safe to the debris cloud of a ship - it'd only have to have a capacity of 200 litres! It'd be tiny compared to 1 TC Container Pod!!
Ponders an easter egg or two for the 1.74 update of Pods ;)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The small commodities have never filled up cargo space in Oolite, and I think they didn't do in Elite, too.

The way I remember was that while you were buying gold or platinum and got over the 1000kg limit, you got one t of your capacity subtracted, so it seemed at first glance that they take up space. But as soon as you went to another screen and then returned to the F8-screen, you had your cargo capacity again, regardless of the valuables.

Oolite (in all versions) does the same with cargo contracts. Once you got a 3000kg gold contract and the cargo is loaded into your hold, you see 3t of cargo space subtracted from your available cargo space. But as soon as you go to another screen, especially the market screen, the 3t are available as free space again.

So I would suggest, before frantically adding fixes to the trunk for a behaviour that hasn't actually changed and is in line with 8-bit Elite, perhaps we should find an agreement on (1) whether we consider it buggy in the first place and (2) what it is that we want to achieve.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

another_commander wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
This behaviour was just commited in SVN3081. Please test, hopefully I have not broken anything too badly ;-)
I noticed it :) I just had the idea of introducing a vault variable for the player to put this stuff in. That would allow to claim this amount as cargo space. While starting to code I noticed your commit. Much better but I must look better at it as at first glance I wondered what happened when quantity > 1000.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.