Mouse-controllable external camera?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

If anyone implements a fully nice external camera with pan and zoom, and chase mode I will buy them a beer. Cant say fairer than that :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmdr James wrote:
If anyone implements a fully nice external camera with pan and zoom, and chase mode I will buy them a beer. Cant say fairer than that :)
A beer? That's gotta be worth two at least, surely.. :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Screet wrote:
Ooohh...and a freely scriptable outside camera could provide great cinematic sequences for oxpers :D

Screet
Now that would make for some great promo videos!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

I asked about this the other day!!! :)

I reckon it would be a massively popular oxp.
NOTICE to all SPACE GAMERS!!!
Check out http://www.spacesimcentral.com/portal.p

For all your space gaming needs just put a shout out for DarkOne!!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

It's not possible as an OXP. It would have to be done via change to the core (trunk) code.
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
It's not possible as an OXP. It would have to be done via change to the core (trunk) code.
Can this be done? using trunk code?
NOTICE to all SPACE GAMERS!!!
Check out http://www.spacesimcentral.com/portal.p

For all your space gaming needs just put a shout out for DarkOne!!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Quite a lot of stuff is theoretically possible by changing trunk code. However, maybe you missed a few posts, so I'll quote myself:
Kaks wrote:
Can't help but agreeing with the core of Ahruman & Screet's posts: it's potentially a major pain to code... However, like the new revised hud code from Y A C a while ago, if any of you feels strongly enough about it, the possibilities are indeed endless, and we should have no problems including such a patch in trunk if any of you guys provides it to the dev team! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

GUNSMIF wrote:
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Not in the way I think you're thinking...

What's been said here is that you (or somebody) needs to rewrite the external view handling code to include your desired whizzy mouse-driven viewing angles (in a way that works on all three OS types - PC Win/Linux and Mac) - submit this to the Devs for testing to make sure it doesn't break anything else in the code and if that's OK and it's agreed it goes in the trunk...

EDIT: :roll: :oops: Ninja'd by Kaks!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

GUNSMIF wrote:
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Although two other guys already answered, perhaps a clarification doesn't hurt.

I'm not sure whether you've fully understood what "trunk code" means. Your exchange of the verb "change" into the verb "use" indicates that perhaps not. So a little explanation here: What Kaks, Cheyd and the others are saying here is basically: The program "Oolite" is not written to support flexible camera views. If you want to include this as a feature, you have to completely re-write the program (or parts of it).

In other words: you have to be a computer programmer in order to do it. Not like the every day guy that uses software like "Word", "Internet Explorer" etc., but like the guys who created these software applications.

This is also very different from writing an OXP. An OXP may add a script, which is a set of commands which are executed by Oolite's code (the program Oolite.exe itself). No script, however, can change the code of Oolite.exe. But changing the code itself is exactly what you would need to do in order to re-program Oolite.exe to have a different camera system.

And our programmers (Kaks is one of them) have not said that this is impossible. They just said that for they time being they will not work on it.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

yeah, your talking thinking in hex. A good working knowlegde of how it works now and how it should work are key to getting a project like this done. Lots of on the fly calculations.

Any project that looks like magic is usually built from sweat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ClymAngus wrote:
yeah, your talking thinking in hex.
Heck, back in my programming days I used to dream in hexadecimal... :shock:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

<monty_python>Dream in hexidecimal! Luxury! When I were a lad, I had to get up at six, scrub valves clean, and then count out the ones and zeros before breakfast...</monty_python>
Selezen wrote:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
<monty_python>Dream in hexidecimal! Luxury! When I were a lad, I had to get up at six, scrub valves clean, and then count out the ones and zeros before breakfast...</monty_python>
Ones and zeros? You were lucky! In my day we used decimal ring counters and liked it!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

8) :lol: Nice link!
Selezen wrote:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ahruman wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Ones and zeros? You were lucky! In my day we used decimal ring counters and liked it!
Oh hark at him the unmitigated softness of decimal ring counters, we were up two hours before we went to bed, brushing the fluff out of Henry Prevost Babbages' difference engine with our oiled beards and lubricating the sprockets with a mixture of our own blood and sorrowful tears!

And WE, were lucky.