More details in this thread.

We're quite popular!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Im not sure oolite is hard to find. Most elite fanclub sites I have seen point to us, the wikipedia elite artice links to us, and we have our own wikipedia page. There are also videos on youtube. If someone knows about, and is looking for oolite, then its got a nice easy to remember url and it is the first hit on google for "oolite".

I dont think there is any money, or any real desire for an advertising campaign, and if we were to do so, I think it makes sense to tie it in with the next release, so we have something to announce.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

I hope my Let's Play will be entertaining enough that people will at least try it out :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Split web redesign discussion to new thread.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

ADCK wrote:
Brings up a good point, Oolite is obscure and hard to find, i only found out about it by complete accident.

I'm sure there are thousands of elite fans out there that don't have any knowlege of Oolites existance...

Perhaps it's a good idea to look into an advertising campaign?

Or would the developers rather Oolite remain an obscure game with a small cult following? :P ...
Maybe its worth submitting links to Oolite.org everywhere you go? I've found that the more links you have (and keywords in the meta section of the website code) the higher up the Google ranking you go, and consequently the more visitors you get.

I'm working on a Games page to my personal homepages, in which Oolite will have prominence.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite V Elite

Post by Alex »

ARE YOUS F IN JOKIN??

Maybe I should say who I am?

Alex.

Well there that goes.

My wee brother sent me the link to Oolite coz he knew I played Elite when it was still a thought in London with the boff heads in Uni. At the time neither
my brothers could see how I could see 3D in stick shapes??

I was in an unusual position.
I could borrow top end TDM's. (These Damn Machines) from the company I done the J.O.B. for. (JOB=Just Over Broke)
Go on.. Tell me that's a lie.

To quote my wee brother when he sent me the link;

"Al, Don't you be loosin your heed in that game again!"

2 Weeks later I sent him an e-mail.. "Too late. Elite has sunk, Oolite has arisen"

OOPS.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

well i found oolite after watching a bbc show about Elite, but as you say, if you put a link, people will click on it, but then you might get banned for spamming, even though you arent really selling a product
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

0235 wrote:
well i found oolite after watching a bbc show about Elite, but as you say, if you put a link, people will click on it, but then you might get banned for spamming, even though you arent really selling a product
I mention Oolite quite often in my blog for my local newspaper, especially if I've written something and then I can point them at this BB too.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Eichlan
Poor
Poor

Post by Eichlan »

ADCK wrote:
Brings up a good point, Oolite is obscure and hard to find, i only found out about it by complete accident.

I'm sure there are thousands of elite fans out there that don't have any knowlege of Oolites existance...
As one of "the 4000" (!) I found Oolite while searching for Elite TNK (I fancied a bit of old school Eliting, which I've played on and off since I had the original Beeb version 25 years ago...). Google got me to the Elite Wiki and thence to Oolite. I haven't looked back since!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

:D

Remember 'the 4000'? Aye, those were the days! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I suspect somebody is also generating a lot of interest in Oolite throughout Russia. My alternate download site has recently seen a lot of downloads from that region. Until a few weeks back, there had only been a handful...

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Eichlan wrote:
As one of "the 4000" (!) I found Oolite while searching for Elite TNK (I fancied a bit of old school Eliting, which I've played on and off since I had the original Beeb version 25 years ago...). Google got me to the Elite Wiki and thence to Oolite. I haven't looked back since!
Eichlan, that name takes me back! E E 'Doc' Smith if I'm not mistaken! 8)

E:TNK should not be available, as David Braben threatened Christian Pinder with legal action unless it was removed. However I've since found it here. Sssh! :wink:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Maybe that's Captain Maegil cruising around in the sea just off the coast of Sicily!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I was puzzled by that too for a minute, until I remembered 'HMS Malta'! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Kaks wrote:
I was puzzled by that too for a minute, until I remembered 'HMS Malta'! :D
Yeah, that is Malta. Too small an island to appear on the map.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

Well, I found Oolite after seeing Elite on an old Archimedes I had access to (being too young by far to have played it when it was anything like current), then I Googled it and found Oolite on the Wikipedia page (which is pretty big exposure in itself).