Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Crash in OOlite v.1.73.4

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I did update the OSE WiP with Kaks' fixes. The one on my harddrive as of now, not the "published" test version.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Garrett, glad of being of service, sir! :)

Eric, thanks for updating that OXP.
And yes, it's more than likely that there are going to be some other shipsmodels somewhere that will cause Oolite to crash on xp 64. And I've no idea why my new .dat works for Garret and the old one didn't. Hopefully soon we'll be able to figure out why!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
And yes, it's more than likely that there are going to be some other shipsmodels somewhere that will cause Oolite to crash on xp 64. And I've no idea why my new .dat works for Garret and the old one didn't. Hopefully soon we'll be able to figure out why!
If you do, please report! The reason is that I tracked down my crash issue with OSE to happen when I've got hardpirates from OSE enabled.

However, I did attempt to find that bug on xp32 in gdb - and that thing simply works!

Thus there's another os/machine dependant issue and I simply do not know where to continue searching for the reason or how to fix it.

At least I did not have any more crashes since disabling hardpirates on my vista machine.

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Could it be the hardpirate models? Then we could attempt to alter their models, just as an experiment, and see if the crashes stop?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
Could it be the hardpirate models? Then we could attempt to alter their models, just as an experiment, and see if the crashes stop?
That's what I did wonder...but how could it be attempted to change these if you do not know what was wrong with the previous case on this board - and the hardpirates have several different ships in OSE, thus I'm afraid it would be time consuming and not even sure that this would help. I'd prefer if I could somehow check beforehand if it's the models before someone attempts to repair them.

Screet
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Now it's getting wierd.

After over one hour, I did want to end the test in gdb/XP32. THEN it did crash!

However, it's only reporting _libws2_32_a_iname()...

Thus, probably it's not the models but something else, but apparantly difficult to locate.

Screet
Garrett
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Garrett »

Eric Walch wrote:
The problem is not completely fixed. Had you also tried to reload the old oxp so you are sure that is was not a bug in the file somehow. Because when is was really a combination of you the texture was defined and your hardware, that problem could be in more files.
I think I was the last one that updated that oxp to correct a small bug. So I probably update it again with Kaks his modifications to be on the save side.
This ship definition however has been unchanged since at least oolite 1.65 and this was the first report of it.
I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you want me to do. If I play with the v.1.1 of x-ships.oxp that's on the Oolite wiki OXP page, it crashes when I select the ship (and occasionally when flying, presumably since Oolite tries to display the model in space flight), and if I play with that folder overwritten with the ship model files Kaks created, then it works fine. I've just tested both situations again, and get these results. I'll happily try out fixes or situations if people want to throw them my way :)

On the plus side, I don't have any problems with any of the other ships in the "buy ships" screen.
warboss
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

asp mk2 special causing a crash

Post by warboss »

Just to say that ik have been experiencing the same problems with the Asp mk2 special causing the game to crash in the shipyard screen and i guess it is also the reason the game crashes occasionally when i am flying - have downloaded the new texture files and now the game is not crashing in the shipyard screen and i hope the game will be more stable when i am flying - many thanks!!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: asp mk2 special causing a crash

Post by Eric Walch »

warboss wrote:
Just to say that ik have been experiencing the same problems with the Asp mk2 special causing the game to crash in the shipyard screen and i guess it is also the reason the game crashes occasionally when i am flying - have downloaded the new texture files and now the game is not crashing in the shipyard screen and i hope the game will be more stable when i am flying - many thanks!!
It is a combination of graphic driver and ship. When your ship crashes on this ship it is likely to also crash on a certain station in Commies.oxp. So, when you experience more similar crashes, you could try updating the drivers.