Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Can't get that Caduceus!!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Yeah, you should really download the replacement version, we fixed a lot of things long before the words "game balance" were ever mentioned. 8)

Hence the reason I got a bit arsey when the entire game balance thing raised it's ugly head. We'd already listened and rebalanced it.

We added other stuff too, harder to spot, more difficult to call fowl on. Blunt force trauma is fine when your starting out, but it don't beat cheating with style.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Just for the record: LittleBear is wrong (this time only), and the Wiki is right.

The chance key regulates both the appearance in a shipyard and the fitting of optional equipment.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Which would bring me back to my earlier question.

Is it possible to reduce the chance value below 0.1 to decrease the odds of seeing a ship without weird stuff happening?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Yes, chance can be any real number between 0 and 1.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Sendraks wrote:

Is it possible to reduce the chance value below 0.1 to decrease the odds of seeing a ship without weird stuff happening?
Any value between 0.0 and 1.0 should be possible. e.g 0.0002. However, this change is a bit changed by the system according:

Code: Select all

chance = 1.0 - (1.0 - chance)^ max(1, techlevel - ship_techlevel)
Above formula raises the chance a bit when the system techlevel is higher than the ship techlevel.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric Walch wrote:
Any value between 0.0 and 1.0 should be possible. e.g 0.0002.
Strictly speaking not true; values lower than 1/65535 (i.e., 0.000015259021897) are effectively zero.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Ahruman wrote:
Strictly speaking not true; values lower than 1/65535 (i.e., 0.000015259021897) are effectively zero.
So a value of 0.000015259021898 is not effectively zero?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Sendraks wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
So a value of 0.000015259021898 is not effectively zero?
Obviously not. It should be effectively 1/65535 = 0.000015259021897. And so would, I guess, be any other value between 1/65535 and 2/65535. So please don't ask for 0.000015259021899 (or 0,0000305180437933, for that matter). :wink:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Eric Walch wrote:
Sendraks wrote:

Any value between 0.0 and 1.0 should be possible. e.g 0.0002. However, this change is a bit changed by the system according:

Code: Select all

chance = 1.0 - (1.0 - chance)^ max(1, techlevel - ship_techlevel)
Above formula raises the chance a bit when the system techlevel is higher than the ship techlevel.
could reduce the tech level that it appears, or just gift yourself one and reduce your credits accordingly (technically it's not cheating, although I maybe wrong about that depending on your moral compass).
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

I don't want to gift myself a ship, that would largely defeat the point of making the ship appear less often in the shipyards. I'm going to fiddle around with various variables, but for me, actually finding a ship should be a quest in itself.

It took me a fair amount of wandering before I happened upon a shipyard flogging the Wolf MkII Se, which made the experience of buying one all the more sweet. I'd like it to be the same for various other craft, so simply the act of seeing one for sale is a memorable event. 8)
Captain Fullstrength
Average
Average

Post by Captain Fullstrength »

I've noticed that the juicy ships are to be found at higher tech level stations. By higher I mean TL13+.

I've been saving up for a Falcon and recently scraped the Credits together. I made for the nearest high TL system and there was a Falcon on sale. There was also a Caduceus Omega which I'd never seen before, so I bought both.

The Falcon is great and sometimes I just fly around looking at it from various angles . . .
. . . but I've been flying a Caduceus for a while and I had heard about the Caduceus Omega and was intrigued. http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Caduceus[url][/url]

I expected it to be lots of creds (and it was) but I actually made a coupla thousand creds on the deal.

Now I've got two awesome ships to terrorise the neighbourhood with. 8)
Its bad luck to be superstitious . . .
wildstar
Competent
Competent

Post by wildstar »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
@Sendraks,
Have you tried the latest version? The speed is down to .4LM, among other stat changes. There's a few surprises thrown into the mix as well. :)

This is a very rare occurrence: Not one Caddy cruising through a system, but two.
[[img removed for space conservation]]
Soon after this shot was taken, I learned that the NPC Caddys were total pansies that wouldn't fight back. Bah!! So I gave then a custom AI with "tons o' nuts". They'll fight back alright. :twisted:
the ship looks awesome. but i think i just moved that oxp/ship out of the addons folder if that is from the neocaduceus.oxp

i kept getting errors....
Image B4 = Elite on c64 & now = Oolite1.73.4repositories UBUNTU OpenGL2.1.2 NVIDIA180.44 & vertex shaders eVGA GeForce7950GT512 P4-3.2mhz/3gb
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

wildstar wrote:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
@Sendraks,
Have you tried the latest version? The speed is down to .4LM, among other stat changes. There's a few surprises thrown into the mix as well. :)

This is a very rare occurrence: Not one Caddy cruising through a system, but two.
[[img removed for space conservation]]
Soon after this shot was taken, I learned that the NPC Caddys were total pansies that wouldn't fight back. Bah!! So I gave then a custom AI with "tons o' nuts". They'll fight back alright. :twisted:
the ship looks awesome. but i think i just moved that oxp/ship out of the addons folder if that is from the neocaduceus.oxp

i kept getting errors....
Really? Cool, what errors?
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Is it still prone to crashing into things ?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Chrisfs wrote:
Is it still prone to crashing into things ?
I think that's some oolite internal problem, at least if you use a version which has the quaternions fixed or play trunk which automatically fixes those values. I myself found that crashes with fuel stations are much less likely if I rebuild the cache every time I launch oolite?!?

Screet