Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Unwanted re-routing

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Unwanted re-routing

Post by Cody »

Aye... welcome aboard, Commander! A wonderful quirk of Witchspace... the all-stopper is quicker than the express!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Hyperspace Travel Time is remarkably non-linear. You will appreciate the fastest/shortest alternatives when you have 6 or 7 contracts along a route and you don't want to end up with 4000 Kg Platinum which nobody wants.

Also be aware that work done on your ship takes time - often quite a lot of it.
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

another_commander wrote:
Hi and welcome. The magic formula here is TravelTimeInHrs = DistanceInLY * DistanceInLY. This is done in order to add an element of strategy in your route planning. Take risk of a longer route and arrive in time or take risk of losing a contract but exposing yourself to less danger by means of fewer jumps? You decide.
Marilee hangs a lampshade on this in Sidewinder Precision Pro, pointing out that the maths checks out to many decimal places even though both units are completely arbitrary, and concludes that the creator of the universe must have had a sense of humour.
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Malcius
Average
Average

Post by Malcius »

Quick question: do the Advanced Navigation Computer and the Advanced Navigational Array (or possibly the Galactic Sat Nav) do essentially the same thing?

The route colours are different but I have some equipment that does what you're all describing (unless I've misunderstood somehow) but I don't currently have the Advanced Navigation Computer. I do have the ANN and the GSN and I think that they are my most likely candidates.

I was pondering buying the ANC, which is how my searching brought me to this page, but if it doesn't add any significant new functionality, then I won't or, at least, not until I have a larger pool of credits at my disposal. :wink:
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

The Advanced Navigation Computer reduces the fuel consumed on jumps by plotting more accurate point to point destinations. It doesn’t have any relationship with the Advanced Navigation Array, which allows you to plot long distance routes across the chart. Hope that makes sense.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Uft all the fancy sciency talk. Don't care if your wearing a timex, rolex of a neutron divider.
It's simple. Wich space is no space and time doesn't exist. So the longer your in there the more it gets funny. Ask a Thargoobly. Want to get somewhere faster, jump short. Make dosh on the way, trade at best guess, shoot first and collect.
Remember "Save Game" And get used to "Press Space"
Lets you hone your expletives.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Malcius
Average
Average

Post by Malcius »

Thanks PKHB.

I think I just found that everyone's descriptions of the Advanced Navigation Computer sounded like the Advanced Navigation Array.