Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Reader Crowd

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Reader Crowd

Post by Cody »

drew wrote:
Registered, logged in and can't really do anything... What next, oh fellow authors?
You can change the cover pic and blurb easy enough - go to My Book/Update Book Info and do as you need.
I think one can change pretty much anything - except one's username.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

If the lead of the project cannot even get the names right, I worry about the quality of their story... :/
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I note that Blaze O'Glory has been de-apostrophated too.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Wolfwood wrote:
If the lead of the project cannot even get the names right, I worry about the quality of their story... :/
Ditto. I'm concerned that there's a significant lack of attention to detail. And precious little in the way of proofreading.

I had an email back from CL saying that she can send me the login details for the "author" that they created "my" content under. I will respond in the positive for that, and I suggest sending an email to the contact address registering your concerns.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I've been able to resubmit mine with the original art work and contents, so at least they look ok now.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Cody wrote:
I note that Blaze O'Glory has been de-apostrophated too.
Aye - but they've made up for it by giving me an extra apostrophe ("blaze 'o' glory") on their cover ... :roll: My own fault really for releasing it into CC-land without a cover.
Lchenhz
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Lchenhz »

Hi, big apology if we've upset any one because of what's on the website. I am C.L., responsible for the Elite Chronicles.

I have emailed all the contacts I could find online for previous authors. You should have an email with your username and password. If not, please email me: [email protected]. Once you logged in, click my book on the top right corner, and you can change/delete anything you want. If you prefer not to post your work on the site, I would be happy to delete them as well.

The site is not officially launched, we've just started to invite people to test it out. All these bugs will be fixed over the next coupld of days. If you have any concern, please email me, I will try my best to help out.

Yes, unfortunately, my english isn't great, and I agree the plan probably isn't great to try to create the best Elite:Dangerous fiction. Initially I was just tryting to get money to put into E:D, as I really want the game to be made. :) Rest assured, the book isn't going to be proofread or editted by me, it will be done by Editorial Stand, a professional company. As I am doing it mostly by myself at the moment, I apologise in advance that most stuff will be addressed over time. Thanks for pointing out these bugs, and all feedback are more than welcomed.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Thanks for making that clear, Chen (I can type your Frontier forum username easier than I can the one you've picked for here).

If you need any help with the website let me know. I proofread EVERYONE's stuff and provide critique often when not invited to (yes, I'm annoying).

I emailed you another bug thing last night about the misspelled email address. Can I suggest some grammatical and punctuation corrections to the home page's blurb too?
Revision wrote:
Unleash your creativity! Come and join the crowd-writing initiative based on Elite Dangerous, sequel to one of the most iconic sci-fi video games: Elite. Simply register on the site and you can publish your writing instantly. You can create or choose your own characters and storylines then see them immortalized in a published book complete with bespoke artwork. Get a glimpse of the most diverse Elite: Dangerous book here. You can find more about our rewards here.
What ARE the rewards?

Incidentally, the blurb makes it sound like anything published on the site will be published in the final book too. Is that true?
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Disembodied wrote:
News to me, too ... not sure about the portrait of the Captain on Calliope: then again, it's better than the cover I made myself!
I must confess to picturing the good Captain as his British Blue-like self (as per the Wiki and several "WANTED" YAH billboards :-) ), not as some white cat of indeterminate breed...
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ranthe wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
News to me, too ... not sure about the portrait of the Captain on Calliope: then again, it's better than the cover I made myself!
I must confess to picturing the good Captain as his British Blue-like self (as per the Wiki and several "WANTED" YAH billboards), not as some white cat of indeterminate breed...
Having just re-read this, I have to agree with Ranthe - a new cover is called for, Big D.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Charles Stross on authors and book covers ...

Not strictly relevant here, of course ... personally, I don't mind Hesperus's face, here, it's more the robes and the aura of respectability, even wisdom, that seems wrong. :) I put up the original cover design for Calliope for Alien Items, so when I slapped a couple of covers for Calliope and Stranglehold together, for Smashwords, I just used a tweaked screenshot (see links below), but they're really just placeholders. If anyone would like to offer their own designs, or even suggestions for designs, I'd be happy to consider them!
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ranthe »

Looks like the site is gone - just tried the link in the first post and got a "Suspended Webhosting" page.
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Cody

Post by Cody »

It's okay here - but I'd not be surprised to see it disappear one day.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I just tried, and its showing fine here today.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ranthe »

JazHaz wrote:
I just tried, and its showing fine here today.
It's back for me now too.
Hmmm... could a site that small have a cloaking device? :-)