Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

THE DEATH OF OOLITE > ELITE DANGEROUS

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: THE DEATH OF OOLITE > ELITE DANGEROUS

Post by pagroove »

? People can play two games alongside each other. In fact, they can (and do!) play dozens or hundreds of games alongside each other.
I do. I play for example about 20 games alongside Oolite. Depends on what mood I'm in.

People also tend to do overdramatic when it comes to a new game. Reason for this that they like to HYPE something. That said I believe that Elite Dangerous will be great. I backed it also. But I am not a great fan of multiplayer because you always have some people that try to spoil the game for others. In Racing games for example you have the notorious wreckers. They spoil the race for the ones who do want a clean or competitive race. In multiplayer you also have hackers that try to exploit a game to get onto the top of a leader board. That sort of thing may look funny for a while but it spoils the game for the majority.

But Oolite always keeps me interested. I look at this board everyday just to keep up with the new OXP's and it's a nice place in general.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Paradox wrote:
I guarantee it won't run on this old laptop! I am also sure they are not going to be giving it away for free... Will people be able to design an fly their own ships?
Or will people be able to add their own pirate curses to the game for when you shoot at them? :-) (Far Arms Ships OXP)

I've never got into online multiplayer games since the first text MUCKS, mostly because in order to do anything co-operative you had to be active at some inconvenient time because most people playing were in Europe / USA and the times I wanted to play (New Zealand time) no-one else was on. But with Oolite not only can I can pick up a game where I left off, I can muck about with various settings and tweak the game ambience to the way *I* like it any time I want...

Oolite isn't in any danger of me defecting to Elite: Dangerous at this point, from what I can see.
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Hehe, I've got space truckin' in my hyperradio playlist.....
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

If I had a spaceship, I would play Oolite in another arm of the galaxy. I don't fear Elite Dangerous.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

I think the title of the thread says it all: Oolite > E.D. - by light years :P.
Seriously though it seems a bit hard to compare the two. One is a free, open source game closely based on the original (but still very much it's own game), while the other is proprietary, closed source, multiplayer game with the Elite name.
Anyway, the release of E.D. is not going to change a thing for me :D.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I hope and expect that Elite: Dangerous will be a worthy sequel in the Elite franchise. I don't expect it to compete with Oolite. Oolite is a tribute to the original Elite, and stays true to the concept and model which created the whole Elite thing. E: D is something different.

More importantly, Oolite is modifiable in a way that Elite: Dangerous never will be. With Oolite I can create my own Elite game, tuned and tweaked to my linking. I also get to fiddle around with OXP code (not that I understand much).
And most importantly, with Oolite we have this community.

I just don't see there being much competition between the two in my house.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Oolite (once I get it to work again :roll: ) will always have a place on my hard drive as will all the community created Elite games. To me at least, its more than just about the games themselves. They are expressions made manifest by the greater Elite community itself. To ignore it, is to ignore all the effort, all the cooperation, all the love that went into crafting them. You just cant turn your back on something that precious. It wouldn't be decent. :wink:
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Seconded, I like a game I can tinker with!
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Oolite and Elite:Dangerous are different enough to survive side by side indefinitely.

E:D is MMORPG, newest graphics engine, its concepts sound quite complicated and whatnot. I will sure play it, am a backer, but it will not take my interest in Oolite away.

Oolite is solo, graphics are not its advertising point in comparison to E:D (though they are really nice now), and its concepts are very to the point. And it can be modded. And will expand by that forever.

It's not going to be either-or. One will de facto advertise the other.
CmdrGumbo
Competent
Competent

Post by CmdrGumbo »

Well, from what I've learned so far E:D is going to be a totally different game than all previous "Elite" titles. It's probably more close to X2, X3 and Vendetta Online or Eve Online than to the original Elite game. So how does one come to think that E:D will be the end for Oolite? I can hardly imagine that all the players here in the forum or out there in the Ooniverse will turn their backs on Oolite. I still play it on my PC, although I bought and played the X2 and X3 game series. My experience is that if a game or game concept is unique, then it will stand the test of time.

Just look at how many classic game concepts are still en vogue with mobile devices (e.g. "tower defense", "space invaders" etc.). Oolite is open source, people can expand it and add new stuff to the game. And it will work on older machines. I don't think that E:D will have any effect on Oolite except some E:D players who will also install Oolite for the good ol' time's sake.
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Were possible, when someone joins the Frontier Forum for the first time were they have been out of gaming for a long time having previously played one of the original Elites, I will point them to the re-makes. It amazes me just how many people out there don't know about them. :)
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Hans Olo wrote:
Also, as a Mac user who doesn't want to purchase a copy of windows to dual boot from........
I believe E.D. reached the financial threshold for a mac version to be made. :wink:
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Firstly I must state that I am an Elite hardcore nutcase....played it to death when it first came out, have replayed it since until i discovered Oolite (which is better) and will probably play it until i die (in some form or other)

Secondly, Braben has seriously annoyed a lot of hard-core Elite fans by promising things in the past, not delivering and not even apologizing for the fact. I hope the new game is good but considering the 'history' a degree of scepticism is entirely understandable.

I have funded both Elite/dangerous and Star Citizen BUT i put more funding into the latter due to said scepticism....i'm hoping at least one of them will deliver the state-of-the-art space sim i've been waiting for ever since the original Elite.

p..s I never played the sequals either, somehow they passed me by until i tried them about 3 years ago on an emulator.
'Either this wallpaper goes, or I do'

Oscar Wilde's last words
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

parazaine wrote:
I have funded both Elite/dangerous and Star Citizen BUT i put more funding into the latter due to said scepticism....i'm hoping at least one of them will deliver the state-of-the-art space sim i've been waiting for ever since the original Elite.
You may want to direct some of your remaining attention to Limit Theory. :)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
You may want to direct some of your remaining attention to Limit Theory.
How is that project going, McLane? I've given up trying to follow it on the forum (it's mostly beyond me).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!