Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Eric Walch »

Last week I noticed a difference between Griffs shader for asteroids and the default shader in reaction on temperature. When the temperature rises to 85% of max, normal asteroids are glowing red while griffs asteroids are already fully white. Somehow that difference looks buggy when both types drift around.

The problem is in the part:

Code: Select all

#ifndef OO_REDUCED_COMPLEXITY
// Add the all over hull temperature glow. Full Shader mode only
   float hullHeat = max(hull_heat_level - 0.5, 0.0) * 4.0; 
   hullHeat = Pulse(hullHeat * hullHeat, 0.1); 
   color += TemperatureGlow(hullHeat); 
#endif
Oolites default shader uses:

float hullHeat = max(hull_heat_level - 0.5, 0.0) * 2.0; 
That is half of the effect of temperature on glow.

EDIT: I heard that the asteroids from the all-in package behave correct, so It might be only the single asteroids package. The newest is from 5 nov 2010.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

hmm, i think the heat glow effect in the all_in_1 bundle oxp is the same as in the standalone griff_asteroids oxp
I've updated the standalone oxp over at my box.com account to add in some bigger rocks and i've tweaked the heat glow effect a bit so the asteroids now glow like the freshly mined boulders, hopefully they'll fit in more with the default asteroids when they get heated up - haven't tested this though, haven't managed to spawn any near the sun!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
hmm, i think the heat glow effect in the all_in_1 bundle oxp is the same as in the standalone griff_asteroids oxp
I've updated the standalone oxp over at my box.com account to add in some bigger rocks and i've tweaked the heat glow effect a bit so the asteroids now glow like the freshly mined boulders, hopefully they'll fit in more with the default asteroids when they get heated up - haven't tested this though, haven't managed to spawn any near the sun!
Ooooo - I like! :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Just imagining touching this thing makes my hand burn--great effect!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Blog Post: :wink:
Started work on making a Dodo station for the shipset, found it a bit tricky to come up with a decent design and most attempts ended up looking like the player would be flying into a giant space anus...
...so in the end i just adapted the model i'd already done for my coriolis remake :lol:

Here's a test OXP to check that ships can dock with the model (the docking bay's just a tiny bit bigger than the standard bay), i had to fudge some of the models polys around a bit right at the end due to not noticing that i'd been accidentally recaling various parts of the model whilst trying to unwrap it, i think it's mostly OK now but i couldn't quite fix it without abandoning an hour or two of work laying out the UV maps so the docking bay has ended up slightly off center by a tiny amount
WIP Dodo test oxp: http://www.box.com/s/qfba7q81srufh7s9cpp2
It looks like there's some awful UV stretching on the hull & in the bay, but hopefully this should get sorted out in the final textures (the map needs to be twice as wide as it is tall)
Note: This OXP contains a script.js file in its 'Config' folder that will spawn a test dodo outside the station whenever the player launches - will become annoying in normal gameplay.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Just installed it, Griff... nice-looking Dodo station, is that! No problems docking!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Same as.
No problems here.
It bangs & scrapes just like normal :D

Amusingly, when you exit the test station then yet another one gets spawned.
Do that a few times & you get well confused trying to find the main station.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yodeebe wrote:
Amusingly, when you exit the test station then yet another one gets spawned.
Yes, that's what the man wrote:
Griff wrote:
Note: This OXP contains a script.js file in its 'Config' folder that will spawn a test dodo outside the station whenever the player launches - will become annoying in normal gameplay.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Griff wrote:
I want this one! (Please.)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

goatse station?!

must admit i like it maybe the look would be softened if you repeated the dock face design on the other faces? the inner ring bit could be extruded to be a living unit or power unit? alternatively, maybe the dock entrance could be slightly extruded and detailed instead of being a recess?

gorgeous as ever, and i think the Space Anus look could be avoided unless you choose a really inappropriate colour scheme.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Following the new guidelines on OXP distribution [wiki]OXP Distribution[/wiki], this oxp has been split into a 'resources' oxp containing all the required ship model, texture and shader files, and two smaller 'config' oxps, one which replaces the core shipset with these ships and one which simply adds the ships alongside the default shipset and any other ship packs you may have installed, links are:

http://deephorizonindustries.com/griffi ... 1.2.22.zip - required
and one of either of these:-
http://deephorizonindustries.com/griffi ... e_v1.0.zip
http://deephorizonindustries.com/griffi ... n_v1.0.zip

so to recap, you need to install Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.22.zip and one of either Griff_Shipset_Replace_V1.xx.oxp or Griff_Shipset_Addition_v1.xx depending on how you want these ships to appear in your game

Massive thanks to Capt. Murphy for creating the Griff_Shipset_Replace oxp!

If you're using the Griff_Shipset_Addition oxp, a further oxp to start a new Jameson in a griff cobra mk3 is available here
or alternatively, an oxp to start a new game in a scuffed griff cobra mk3 is available here
only install one of these, don't have both installed at the same time as one will conflict with the other.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Have you considered putting the dodo dock on an edge like the iso one?
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

sounds like that might make it really hard to model though, i found the 5 point 'star' shape really hard to work on, i thought i could work on one segment then rotate and duplicate it for the rest of the shape but edges all seemed to be at different distances from the center point (which wasn't what i was expecting to find), so in the end i took the easy route and recycle some stuff i already had for the coriolis and magle it to fit :lol: it sort of fits in with the dodo being an evolution of the original coriolis model, though i'll have to try and explain why they decided to make the docking bay smaller and more crash-into-able on the dodo, you'd expect it to be the other way around, (ie bigger dock on the newer model not a smaller one)
Cody

Post by Cody »

First flight with the 'new' all-in-one OXP threw this error, Griff:

14:18:15.640 [shipData.merge.failed]: ***** ERROR: one or more shipdata.plist entries have like_ship references that cannot be resolved: griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_with_subent_missiles_NPC
Subsequent flights had no errors until I flushed the cache, then the same error returned.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

hmm, i've merged the missiles oxp into it - look's like i've got something wrong