Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Caduceus

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Tivva wrote:
Text edit for dummies required...
Current shipdata.plist line reads

Code: Select all

<key>aft_eject_position</key>
		<string>0.017906 -6.275644 -40.161734</string>
where do i put the .?
That's the line from the original caduceus, not the alpha and omega versions.

For the alpha and omega versions it should read

<string>-0.1985 -5.5002 -57.7762</string>
Mine did not have a . in the last number, resulting in any eject attempts being far away from the ship (too far for guardians to ever reach the scanner range and too far for fuel tanks to work).

Screet
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Tivva wrote:
Screet wrote:
Hi,

there's a typo in both caduceus alpha and omega. The eject position of these ships is wrong, rendering fuel tanks, guardians and mines unusable. Ejection of cargo also is not shown.

Easy fix: open the shipdata.plist and view the values for the eject position. The last number needs a . behind the first value, then the cargo and such are being ejected slightly below the ship. Maybe it should even be a 0.x number, but as the . after the first digit seems to work nice, I don't have much interest in trying ;)

Screet
Hi Screet
Text edit for dummies required...
Current shipdata.plist line reads

<key>aft_eject_position</key>
		<string>0.017906 -6.275644 -40.161734</string>
where do i put the .?

Cheers
Tiv
Are you flying a caduceus, a caduceus alpha or a caduceus omega?
The eject issue related to the caduceus alpha and caduceus omega, built in the neocaduceus.oxp. caduceus.oxp is not effected. I would suggest upgrading but it's not essential. Here is a link to the neocaduceus.oxp

http://www.crimsonforge.co.uk/cloister/neocaduceus.zip

If you do wish to upgrade, and your currently flying a caduceus, I would download the neocaduceus.oxp, archive a copy of your save file (for safety) and replace the caddy your currently flying with the neo.

This can be done by opening your save file in a text editor, finding the line that looks like this:

<string>ship_desc</string>
<string>caduceus-player</string>

with this:

<string>caduceus-alpha-player</string>

Then you should be flying the deep green super nasty with spinny engines. There is no need to remove the original caduceus.oxp from your addins file but the neocaduceus.oxp is meant as a replacement (the ships are practically satistically identical apart from a number of user requested fixes of course).
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

ClymAngus wrote:
Are you flying a caduceus, a caduceus alpha or a caduceus omega?

If you do wish to upgrade, and your currently flying a caduceus, I would download the neocaduceus.oxp, archive a copy of your save file (for safety) and replace the caddy your currently flying with the neo.

This can be done by opening your save file in a text editor, finding the line that looks like this:

with this:

<string>caduceus-alpha-player</string>

Then you should be flying the deep green super nasty with spinny engines. There is no need to remove the original caduceus.oxp from your addins file but the neocaduceus.oxp is meant as a replacement (the ships are practically satistically identical apart from a number of user requested fixes of course).
Thanks Clym
I first had the Alpha but went back a save file & several jumps & 1 galaxy ...Now I've the Omega, nice bio look with green textures & spinny engines- particulary like the clamshell effect when you hit the injectors...

I'll try the neo upgrade route. :wink:
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

Clym
After d/l the neo oxp I found out I already have that installed.

When I went to edit the shipdata.plist the line already had

listed....
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Tivva wrote:
When I went to edit the shipdata.plist the line already had
"caduceus-player" is a string from the "old style" caduceus. The neocaduceus oxp, which required the update concerning the eject position, does use "caduceus-omega-player".

So I guess that you accidentally did open the wrong file. There's no "caduceus-player" entry in the neocaduceus oxp - unless you switched your ships by removing the alpha or omega from the new package instead of editing your savefile.

Screet
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

oops thats me typing too fast... :oops:

i should've copied & pasted- it was cadaceus_omega_player.
just play tested & fuel tanks work ok now

:lol:
amix
Above Average
Above Average

Caduceus Omega Front Laser Mount?

Post by amix »

I already have found both Alpha and Omega versions and tried them out. While on the Alpha the front laser seems to be fixed, with the Omega I get an offer to purchase a military laser. And so I did. Still, I have the pulse laser mounted and it won't go away. Or is this not a generic pulse but some special laser, that is unique to the Caddy?

Also I find it difficult to dock with fuel-stations and some other. Especially when I am being attacked and I do not want to fight I need to enter a dock very quickly. This, sometimes, makes for steep angles, which are darn difficult with the Caddy. So my question would be, whether I can resize the ship, for my own enjoyment only, by simply editing some plist data? Which one would that be? And does this rescale the ship model ingame also?
Bye, Andreas
MacBook Core Duo 1.83GHz (2006), 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel GMA950, OS X 10.6.2, shaders set to simple
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Interesting, I thought we'd solved the fuel station issue. You can of course resize the ship although you might want to make a note of the factor you reduced it by. That way you can apply it to the positioning and size of the sub-entities too. This may work but be prepared for it not to as the sub-entities seemed to play a part in the fuel station big bang bug.

I'm unsure why your having difficulties swapping out the lasers as they utilize the standard bit of code used by all oxp ships.

Out of interest when did you download the oxp and what version of oolite are you using?
amix
Above Average
Above Average

Post by amix »

Hi, thanks for answering on these.

I downloaded the oxp within the last days by directly clicking the link in your signature.

oolite 1.73.4 (Mac OS X) is the one I use.

After I bought the military laser I got it's cross-hair in the HUD, but the laser, judging by its beam, is still the same (green, non continuos from pilots view, flickering, flashing light of chaotic shapes).
Bye, Andreas
MacBook Core Duo 1.83GHz (2006), 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel GMA950, OS X 10.6.2, shaders set to simple
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

Hi Amix

The laser might just look the same but watch the damage when you hit your target- Trust me, that ain't no pulse laser... :shock:
Have fun 8)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Amix: check the F5 equipment screen. If it says "Forward Military Laser" there, then that's what you've got. Also, as Tivva says, watch the damage it does and check out how fast it heats up!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ah! I see! I know what's going on. The colour of the laser is set to green irrespective of the laser type. So pulse laser = green, military laser = green etc. The reason your getting the flashing and not a pretty light that comes from the bottom of the view screen and shoots towards your cross hairs is the targeting on the caddy is 100% accurate at any range.

Allow me to explain what this means and why it is worth sacrificing beauty for functionality. The process of 100% alignment starts at the design stage. The ship is set to pivot exactly at the mid point of the X,Y, & Z axis. This means that 50% of the ships total X value is in +X and 50% in -X the same with Y and Z. Next the laser systems in the plist are set exactly along the axis on which they shoot. For example the forward laser would be set at 0, 0, 25 the rear and 0, 0, -25 the view points are then set along the axis directly behind the laser eg. 0, 0, 24.995

So what does this mean? Well if everything is in direct alignment then, any laser shot you put down that 0,0 line goes directly down it and no where else. If you have the camera, pivot point and laser starting position out of direct alignment then you'll find that the laser is accurate at a specific range and not so accurate at others. Unfortunately because the view is directly behind the firing point, it does get rendered a bit funny.

So that's the reason, in a nut shell. Most ships are slightly inaccurate.
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

ClymAngus wrote:

Lots of other stuff....& then...
Tell me about it... The reverse engineered (NOT captured) Thargoid Warship (awarded for completing some mission i forget which...) had the target reticule way off for close range shooting...
but it was nice being unique for a while...

T
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Tivva wrote:
The reverse engineered (NOT captured) Thargoid Warship (awarded for completing some mission i forget which...) had the target reticule way off for close range shooting...
but it was nice being unique for a while...
Should be better in 1.73.4, or to be precise: since the weapon_position_foo declarations in shipdata.plist are working again.

There are a couple of glitches in Cataclysm, this being one of them. I will eventually release a fixed version, but don't hold your breath.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

ClymAngus wrote:
And the accuracy varies from ship to ship (for oxp ships rather than core oolite). This is one of the reasons why the Caddy is so pimp, it actually shoots what you're pointing at, rather than slightly above or below or left or right.

Is there any way to fix this in plist files at all or is it something that needs fixing from the "ground up" as it were? I think it'd be quite nice to have an oxp equipment item called "Caduceus Targetting System" you could buy for other ships which overwrites the set-up for their lasers and replaces it with the same pinpoint targetting the Caddy has. 8)