Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Docked Screens

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

No, sorry. The thing is the mission screen stuff was written mostly to support the og. Elite missions, so I didn't expand on them very much. I'll work on it though.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Thanks for that Giles, moved the image around as i said, should have tried that before.

using the government, economy, tech, and description of planet, so each effects the image that is shown, along with a description. Its a long winded script but it works. One thing, Giles, is that when the mission image screen comes up, i cant get back to the original planet info, is there a cancel command for the mission screen i can use?
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

I have created an OXP which, at least doesnt kick me out with errors lol! so thats a bonus. it uses the planets government, tech, economy and inhabitants to display the images. At present i can display each of the four images seperately via the plist. I have made transparent pngs and GIFs for each image, but it will only display the last image. I know the plist is working correctly which leaves me to assume that oolite at present cannot handle stacked images. How problematic would it be to enable oolite to recgonise stacked images on the Mission screen? It can handle an image AND Model on the same screen, which is handy, but not two images. Any ideas as to how this could be solved, now that the Windows image issue is solved?

Edit: Nic, as you solved the image issue, do you know how i can split the MissionScreen so that i can put images in different areas? Or, how i can stack images so they can be read by oolite?
Nic
Competent
Competent

Post by Nic »

@milinks: There's nothing windows specific that's stopping the issue. Giles is your man here to solve this. You need more functionality added, so you can specifiy more precisely what you want. Shouldn't be too tricky.....

-Nic
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

As far as i can ascertain, at present there isnt any possible way of expanding the atmospheric feeling of oolite using the docked screens, i.e incorporating images in relation to planet factors etc. the scripting is easy, just long winded. Ive even tried to get around the issue, by having the script display an image dependent on all of the factors, so that if one planets government, tech economy were all 5, it would give a different image to a planet having tech and economy of 5 but government of say 4. But again all you can display is one image alone, and the image programming will not allow overlaying images. Its a pity really, as missions and ships are being created thick and fast enhancing the game, but there doesnt seem to be any interest in enhancing this side of the game, after all its the aura of the game, which has kept it alive for 25 years, and this would only add to it.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Give me a bit of time! My to-do list is a mile long with other ideas and requests. I'm not ignoring you, just busy mm'kay?

milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

:oops: That wasn't aimed at you Giles, even God took six days!! Just thinking aloud in general. Sorry :)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

There is interest in it milinks, but the 'code' isn't there... Yet.
It's a bit comparable to Tionisla, which started off with a scope for things that just weren't possible, script-wise, gradually extra scripting power becomes avaialble through updates, and it is expanded upon, the time in-between: let's fill it out with brainstorming, exchangeing ideas etc.

Sadly, I'm not of the creative type (not for graphics, anyway) but I'm sure there are other people, that you could cooperate with.

The thing is: Oolite has become quite busy with requests, the more recent months, but there are comparably little people with the coding skills or time to help Giles out to fill in the needs.
Sometimes one gets lucky, brings up a suggestion, and it is easily implemented by a few lines of code, sometimes it takes some serious brain-sweat and/or time...

Back to the subject itself: how much space do you think all your imagery will be, roughly?
flap
Above Average
Above Average

Post by flap »

Yep.

So many suggestion to do... At least for my part, I should stop requesting and start messing with the code.

Yep, something to seriously consider...
Last edited by flap on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I have been giving this request some pondering-time. It's a case of replacing the single image reference in the script with a list of references and then passing that as an array when setting mission-image.

Possibly we should pass a key to an entry in missiontext.plist or descriptions.plist to the new setBackgroundScene: method rather than the whole list of images.

It's all a bit more complicated than I feel like coding ATM. But as you can see I do have a scheme in mind.

milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

flap:

Yep.

Stop requesting and start messing with the code
Believe me, i have read EVERY bit of the source code, and trawled throught the web, I wouldnt make any suggestion that i havent tried to address myself in the first instance. I believed that the idea of a forum was to throw ideas etc into the pot and for all to have an input, to EASE the pressure on Giles. There are a great many people visiting this site who state they are good at programming, and there are a great many others that contibute in small and large ways. I don't profess to be either but i will try all avenues firstly before asking for help..ooops slipped off my soap box again!
flap
Above Average
Above Average

Post by flap »

@milinks : Sorry. After re-reading my post (and even befor reading your answer) I thought :

"Oh my god, he is gonna believe that I am TELLING him to do it." Sorry again. I was here speaking to myself. I mean : I should stop requesting things. :oops:

The things you are trying to do are allready great.

I edited my orignal post...
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

No, please don't stop making requests or suggestions. Even if the tone of them sometimes grates a bit, they are an important part of Oolite's development and I wants them, I does. :twisted:

milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

No, its my bad flap, my own inadequices showing, hence the fustration, apoogies for that :oops:
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

aegidian wrote:
No, please don't stop making requests or suggestions. they are an important part of Oolite's development and I wants them, I does. :twisted:
Okey, here's a suggestion: what about a laser-cooler?

/ducks/

(kidding, kidding,kidding,kidding!)