Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hi, yes that should still be OK. can you check that you've got the "griff_normalmapped_ships.oxp" folder in your Oolite AddOns folder and not it's parent folder (confusingly called "Griff_Normalmapped_ships") like this:
ignore the file path in the address bar in that screen shot, your AddOns folder will probably be in a different location although i can't remember where it is by default, C:\Oolite\AddOns i think - but basically it's the AddOns folder in your Oolite install directory :)
The yellow question mark means Oolite isn't loading the shipset, do you see any of the griff_ships appearing amongst the other oolite ships on the little parade of them when you say N to loading a savegame when Oolite first starts? you might have to wait a while for them to show up amongst all the standard Oolite ships, although you can use the left & right arrow keys to quckly whizz through them.
I've started a new game of Oolite, saved the Jameson and edited the save file to give it a griff_cobraIII_cleaner_texture here if you'd like to try:
http://www.box.net/shared/nfmm1e76fs
it's line 311 in the savegame that i edited, changed it to:

Code: Select all

<string>griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_cleaner_version_player</string>
hopefully that should get it working!
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

*facepalm*

I was just being a dolt. Apparently, when I tried pasting from the examples I left the spaces between the line of code, and the <string> sections. Works fine now.

Its only when using this, with PA's stations and System Redux/Famous Systems that I realize how beautiful this game can be.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to, create, and release these gems to the community. Also, thank you so much for your continued support of your creations.

Just beautiful.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

:D Glad you got it working, the openGL shader support the devs have written into Oolite is amazing! tinkering with shaders & models for oolite is probably a lot like making kits of model planes & ships etc without the thrill of sometimes gluing part of the hull to your forehead
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

Where can i d/l the Griff Boa from page 5 of this thread? :shock:

Is the Griff Krait here http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Griff_Krait the same one as included in the links at the start of this thread?

Then it's just the Asp, Gecko, Mamba and Moray until there is a glorious full house :wink:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

no, confusingly that griff_krait isn't the same as the one in this thread,
it and the griff boa (which you can find here https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=5292 )
are from an earlier project where i started to re-do the standard ship set with shaders and wildly reworked designs, it didn't really work out too well and when normal mapping was implemented in v1.73 i thought i'd start again in this sort of rivetted cast iron/old farm machinery style :)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

lfnfan wrote:

Then it's just the Asp, Gecko, Mamba and Moray until there is a glorious full house
Not forgetting the Dodo and Icosa stations. Is there a Christmas present in store, Griff?

Regards
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

and the shuttles, and asteroids.. i've got a list by the computer that i'm marking them off on as i go along, over halfway now! i don't think i'm going to get them all done by Christmas but i'm sure i'll have at least 2 more done by then, plus my secret oxp project to turn all the asteroids into xmas puddings :D
edit: oh, and the escape pod! i *think* that's all of them
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

El Viejo wrote:
lfnfan wrote:

Then it's just the Asp, Gecko, Mamba and Moray until there is a glorious full house
Not forgetting the Dodo and Icosa stations. Is there a Christmas present in store, Griff?

Regards
+1

I will even stand you some seasonal socks, if you are open to that sort of bribery...

Alas you will have to add the Boa to the above list, done in the 'new old' riveted cast iron style.

by the way, your 'new old' style is pretty much how my brain told my eyes to see the wire frame ships on my BBC Model B Elite all those years ago....
Cody

Post by Cody »

lfnfan wrote:

by the way, your 'new old' style is pretty much how my brain told my eyes to see the wire frame ships on my BBC Model B Elite all those years ago....
Right On Commander. It was exactly the same for me.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

@ El Viejo: Right On Commander!

@ Griff: you have a list that you are working through. That's all I needed to hear. I can console myself with the knowledge that good things will come to those who wait 8)
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

Griff...

...congratulations. Those are excellent. Absolutely stunning.

Any chance of some nice hi-res shots of the things? I'm interested in making some wallpapers of your ships, but I need at least, oh, I dunno, as big as you can get. I'd love a hi-res of the Boa; that thing's phenomenal.

:)
edible poet? onna stick?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Would this do for a start? Click thumbnails for high-res (max. 1400x900).

Image Image Image
Edit: Original pngs uploaded for artifactless viewing pleasure: pic1, pic2, pic3.
Last edited by another_commander on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

lex_talionis wrote:
Any chance of some nice hi-res shots of the things? I'm interested in making some wallpapers of your ships, but I need at least, oh, I dunno, as big as you can get. I'd love a hi-res of the Boa; that thing's phenomenal.
Your wish is my time-travelling command. Well, almost; these are pre-normal mapping:
1920 × 1200 (16:10), 1600 × 1200 (4:3), 1920 × 1080 (16:9)

1920 × 1200 (16:10), 1600 × 1200 (4:3), 1920 × 1080 (16:9)

If that’s not sufficiently hi-res for you, you’re welcome to buy me a 27" iMac or a 30" monitor. ;-)
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

Ohhh, purdy.

How's tricks, Ahruman?

commander... how did you get so many jpg artifacts in those? :shock:
edible poet? onna stick?
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

Ugh, doublepost, I know...

Looking at those images made me wonder: is there any way to get pictures of the crafts not in game? Can one export hi-res images from whatever modeller/renderer you're using?
edible poet? onna stick?