Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

amazing shots in the screenshot thread but....

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

amazing shots in the screenshot thread but....

Post by bigmike20vt »

sorry dumb question... I know this is related to screenshot thread but didnt want to spoil it asking for help on it!

i have griffs amazing ships, but they never are as colourfull as the ones on here (unless i am some how confused) those screens are stunning.

my gpu is the one onboard the GA-MA785GM-US2H

not the fastest in the world but fully featured. i would have thought it would work even if the frame rate suffered.

(based on ATI 4200 chipset)

PS 62 kills to my name now :) going well, though randomly still get my arse kicked quite a bit.

still loving it.
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I suspect your gfx card/drivers combination does not support shaders. We can confirm this easily if you start the game, exit immediately and post Latest.log here.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

I would be very suprised if that GPU didn't support shaders, so I'm curious about a_c mentioning the hardware/driver combination. Are there situations where a piece of kit can support pixel shaders, yet the drivers are not 'activating' them properly?
Last edited by Poro on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Poro wrote:
I would be very suprised if that GPU didn't support shaders, so I'm curious about a_c mentioning the hardware/driver combination. Are there situation where a piece of kit can support pixel shaders, yet the drivers are not 'activating' them properly?
Yes. The classic example is the Intel X3100 Core w/ GM965 chipset. The hardware is perfectly (well, almost ;-)) capable of supporting shaders, but actual shader support was only achieved with the introduction of the version 6.14.10.4990 drivers, sometime towards the end of 2008.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Strange. I wonder if that would be a marketing decision then: 'Let's not advertise it as having pixel shaders until we know we can support them properly'?

Wasn't there a version of the iPhone or iPod Touch that already had a bluetooth chip inside it, even though you had to wait for version 3 of the OS to activate it? Again, it seems like a manufacturer wanting to properly support something before acknowledging its existence.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Try a bios update, and the latest drivers.
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Captain Berf
Competent
Competent

Post by Captain Berf »

FWIW just check if the shaders are on (and set to FULL) under Game Options. (Press 2 when a commander is loaded.)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
Poro wrote:
I would be very suprised if that GPU didn't support shaders, so I'm curious about a_c mentioning the hardware/driver combination. Are there situation where a piece of kit can support pixel shaders, yet the drivers are not 'activating' them properly?
Yes. The classic example is the Intel X3100 Core w/ GM965 chipset. The hardware is perfectly (well, almost ;-)) capable of supporting shaders, but actual shader support was only achieved with the introduction of the version 6.14.10.4990 drivers, sometime towards the end of 2008.
Another classic example is the ATI Mobility drivers.

Basically what happened is that, for many years ATI have had their hands tied with laptop manufacturers (OEMS) who request that ATI do not offer support for their device in the Catalyst Driver. This may seem strange, however makers such as Dell have implemented their own support system and they do not want their customers downloading “reference” drivers from ATI’s home page.

AMD (formerly ATI) introduced the concept of Catalyst Mobility which is a generic driver that works decently for most laptops. The only way they are able to do this is through permission by a laptop manufacturer (OEM) to include their device in the Catalyst Mobility. Unfortunately, only a few vendors have given permission for them to do so.

This leaves laptop owners with ATI graphics chips in a bind, as the OEM manufacturers seem to only update their drivers once in a blue moon, and never to the current state-of-the-art.

This is where the HardwareHeaven (formerly DriverHeaven) Mobility Modder Tool can help. I've used it on my ASUS Pro31J laptop to great effect, after weeks of unsuccessfully trying to use or modify the latest ATI drivers to work with my X2300 GPU. Now my nebulae look like nebulae, instead of fuzzy square blobs, and I have full shader support!

I'll try to post a tutorial on it soon.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Captain Berf
Competent
Competent

Post by Captain Berf »

Diziet Sma [skipped quote]

Thanks for posting that. My laptop's abandoned gfx chipset hasn't seen an update since I bought it and it's on the list. Yee-Haw!
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

ingteresting thread.

still havent got access to my pc to test the shaders, although i flew back to lave to try lave accademy just after posting yesterday, and there is so much more detail going on around that station (looks gorgeous) that my framerate crashed, which leaves me to believe even if they are supported and i can switch them on......... my gpu will not be capable of running properly.

still, cant grumble, it was never purchased for gaming so i am happy it runs it as well as it does, and will put me on till i can afford my new gaming rig.

will still check the shaders when i can however.
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
amix
Above Average
Above Average

Post by amix »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Tutorial now posted. :D
Nice one!
Bye, Andreas
MacBook Core Duo 1.83GHz (2006), 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel GMA950, OS X 10.6.2, shaders set to simple